A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

41 minutes ago, Olive said:

Money Laundering

14 minutes ago, firedeep said:

I dont know how the fudge works in detail but in summary, through secret deals made between his distributon company Da Yinmu and many of the big theater chains ( for instance, Shanghai United Circuit, China Film South Cinema Circuit, China Film Stellar Theater Chain, —— all state-run chains, ironically...), Shi himself bought millions of tickets for IPM3 to inflat the film's box office, by doing this, it is speculated that he can therefore increase his P2P business and even the stock price of his company. Shi's P2P sector has a fund that relates to the PRC box office performance of IPM3. The higher the film's box office goes, the higher ROI that fund produces on paper, eventually attracting more investors for him. Some criticize that Shi is running a Ponzi scheme by lining up box office with P2P. But I am not here to judge that part.

Now that he has this big spotlight on him, and the zealous anti-corruption drive by Xi Jinping, is he already out of the country?

It should be good for the long term development for Chinese movie industry when such practices are exposed. I would not be surprised if they find a way to arrest him. 

Edited by sgchn40

5 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Now that he has this big spotlight on him, and the zealous anti-corruption drive by Xi Jinping, is he already out of the country?

It should be good for the long term development for Chinese movie industry when such practices are exposed. I would not be surprised if they find a way to arrest him. 

IMO it's just a matter of time for folks like him to be investigated, especially if China's P2P Bubble (or in the worst case, the financial Bubble as a whole——which would only be caused by the real estate subprime debt) breaks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bluebomb said:

There really is no need to manipulate its box office when it will make more than twice or triple its budget from China alone without fudging.

Please don't associate the fudging of Ip Man 3's box office to wishing death to the franchise or the quality of the film. The Ip Man franchise is a highly respectable series in which many Chinese love the films. Yes, this is a black eye on Ip Man 3 but it should not be used as a target for the Ip Man franchise. The writers/director/actors did nothing wrong and the quality of their work should be respected.

I think no one love Chinese martial art more than C-netizens. I don't consider myself as Chinese but carry Chinese blood, I'm definitely a big fan of Ip Man series. I'm so happy that so many non-Chinese become fan of this series too. I just can't control myself why they have to fake its BO while it's already a big successful movie. I think the movie is getting negative effects. "It's a good movie. Does it perform well in BO? No one want to mention about the fake thing". 

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

IMO it's just a matter of time for folks like him to be investigated, especially if China's P2P Bubble (or in the worst case, the financial Bubble as a whole——which would only be caused by the real estate subprime debt) breaks.

It is really mind boggling that Shenzhen property prices can rise 50% in a year...

The housing prices in central ereas (by 'central', means within Si Huan of Beijing, and Inner Ring Road of Shang Hai) of Shenzhen, Shanghai and Beijing is already higher than that of New York, Tokyo and other big cities in the world. European cities are too small to compare except London and Paris.

Nanjing, Hanzhou, Suzhou and many other second-tier cities are already following the sharp leap of Shenzhen and Shanghai in housing prices ...

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

Guys, ZOO is looking at a 35M:blink: Monday ! barely down 50% when the normal drrop should be 80%.

35/50/30/27/40/100/90, it is shaping up to be a 370m week, even going by conservative projection.

Could go closer to 40M!!!! :o

Will it get an extension??

Zoo slowing down now, not going to play as strong at night. Should be close to 36m.

Had 14% of shows on friday. 20% yesterday and today.  Will push to 22% tomorrow and 25% on Wed.  Will probably pass IP3s daily soon.  

Edited by No Prisoners

5 hours ago, firedeep said:

Guys, ZOO is looking at a 35M:blink: Monday ! barely down 50% when the normal drrop should be 80%.

35/50/30/27/40/100/90, it is shaping up to be a 370m week, even going by conservative projection.

So 1b looks likely, right?