A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Out of many successful local movies from last year and early this year, what would you guys recommend? I haven't watched a Chinese/Mainlaind movie in ages and I want to restart now since I have free time.  :)

Out of many successful local movies from last year and early this year, what would you guys recommend? I haven't watched a Chinese/Mainlaind movie in ages and I want to restart now since I have free time.  :)

Some recent movies I recommend:

Let the Bullets Fly (2010) by Jiang Wen; If You Are The One 1&2 (2008, 2010) by Feng Xiaogang; A World Without the Thieves (2004) by Feng Xiaogang; The Flowers of War (2011) by Zhang Yimou; Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (2010) by Tsui Hark.

These movies are either B.O hits or entertaining. :)

Looks like Fan Bingbing is trying to go international in a big way--she's got some kind of role (probably a tiny one) in IM3, she signed on for two English-language productions last month, and now she's apparently playing some mutant or other in the next X-Men sequel. Interesting that she's making such an effort to break out abroad when most of the internationally-known Chinese film figures have gone back to China. I assume her language skills have improved since her first English-language movie, where she seemed to be reciting most of her dialogue phonetically and was generally painful to watch.

Some recent movies I recommend:

Let the Bullets Fly (2010) by Jiang Wen; If You Are The One 1&2 (2008, 2010) by Feng Xiaogang; A World Without the Thieves (2004) by Feng Xiaogang; The Flowers of War (2011) by Zhang Yimou; Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (2010) by Tsui Hark.

These movies are either B.O hits or entertaining. :)

Thank you very much POLYLOVE  :D That's a lot of movies, I better start now  :)

How about Chinese Zodiac starring Jackie Chan? Or Lost In Thailand? Would you recommend them?

Looks like Fan Bingbing is trying to go international in a big way--she's got some kind of role (probably a tiny one) in IM3, she signed on for two English-language productions last month, and now she's apparently playing some mutant or other in the next X-Men sequel. Interesting that she's making such an effort to break out abroad when most of the internationally-known Chinese film figures have gone back to China. I assume her language skills have improved since her first English-language movie, where she seemed to be reciting most of her dialogue phonetically and was generally painful to watch.

Good for her if turns out to be true.

How about Chinese Zodiac starring Jackie Chan? Or Lost In Thailand? Would you recommend them?

I love Jackie when he was in his prime: watch his stuff from the 80s. One of his biggest weakness is portraying women as immature, punching bags to be knocked around. 

Edited by zackzack

So two days of tedious work... done.

I will do a quick analysis towards DH5 the recent few days:

Thu 20M (without 1M previews)

Fri 22M +10%

Sat 32M +45%

Sun 27M -16% (projected)

4 days OW 102M $16.4M (projected)

Comparison --- TBL

Thu 15M

Fri 17M +13%

Sat 27M +58%

Sun 23M -15%

4 days OW 82M $13M

TBL wkn multiplier a little better of DH5. 222M total for TBL, so around 250M total that means. Or $40M.

Is that good?

And what are the typical increases sat/sun?

So two days of tedious work... done.

I will do a quick analysis towards DH5 the recent few days:

Thu 20M (without 1M previews)

Fri 22M +10%

Sat 32M +45%

Sun 27M -16% (projected)

4 days OW 102M $16.4M (projected)

Comparison --- TBL

Thu 15M

Fri 17M +13%

Sat 27M +58%

Sun 23M -15%

4 days OW 82M $13M

TBL wkn multiplier a little better of DH5. 222M total for TBL, so around 250M total that means. Or $40M.

Sun. can't reach 27m, maybe 24m  drop 25% ,so the first week 98m, and around 220m ($35M)

Yes. They are all worth seeing. But I'm afraid DVD is not availabe at the moment. CZ12 is said to be released in NA this year.

• Like 1