A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Good. If IM3 flops then there won't be so many co-productions in the furture.

It's weird and uncomfortable to see Chinese actors and Chinese content in Hollywood movies. 

Not good because it's going to hinder Chinese movie industry. 

That really sucks! If that's the case, then the co-production is as useless as it can be :angry:

That is the point. If even a co-production (not officially but still a co-production) like IM3 canot get a good release date treatment, then the so-called co-production status for big Hollywood movies is pretty much useless.

It is ironic that on one side they are holding the Beijing International Film Festival signing tons of international co-production projects, on the other side, interntional co-production like IM3 is stuck there without a proper release date even just days before its possible debut.

IM3 is a test. Unfortunately not that a succesful case it seems to be so far. 

When DWA's KungFu Panda 3 was slated to a December 2015 release, I knew all they wanted is a Winter Holiday release for KFP3 in China. They throw it in December 2015, just so it could enter the New Year holiday slot, the best release time for such movies, in China. But I doubt that could really happen, even when nearly half of its investment comes from Chinese companies. Same goes to TF3. Even TF4 to be a co-production between Paramount and CFG, I still doubt TF4 could really get a date-to-date China release as they claim it will be. [Gone With The Bullets also will come summer 2014 and I bet it will get a (much) better date than TF4]

I read the comments on Mtime back when it was announced that Fan Bingbing was only in the Chinese version. Something like 7 out of 10 commenters thought the whole thing was a dumb idea. Chinese viewers know when they're being pandered to.

Same happened when Paramount announced they will be releasing a much different version for TF4 in China.

Gotta say, movements/press release like this are the stupidest in the world I can imagine. The general Chinese people are very sensitive and know they are being pandered/fooled very well. People who makes these decisions has no idea how to do business in China.

Wait till it is the time, do it under a low profile if you really need to do it, or you just dont do it at all.

Edited by firedeep

Also, Mtime is now doubling down on late April and claiming (from "reliable and up-to-date" sources) that the May 4th date is wrong. It really needs to come out on the 29th or earlier, it can't afford to lose a single day from the holiday.

The fire was urgently pulled down.

Tuesday Apr 23:

#1. GIJ2 15M

#2. Croods 8.5M

#3. AWI 7.7M

#4. FMR 2.7M

#5. CAS 1.1M

Cume:

GIJ2 238M

Croods 55M

AWI 161M

FMR 509M

CAS 269M

GIJ2 should do a 85M week, dropping 60%, with cume around 294M by this Sunday. It will fade soon even with holiday coming. I see $57M finish at the moment. Croods will do 55M+ week, cume 94M by Sunday, and it will increase next week. 200M total still on track.

Very solid drops for AWI continues. It should have no problem crossing 200M, maybe even 220M, better legs than all Hollywood movies of this year so far except Croods. FMR will easily do over 520M as predicted. [Actually, any local hit this year had better legs than any Hollywood/foreign movie outside Croods.]

Overal it is a weak week with full of working days.

Well, what is happening with IM3 it is not new. Many recent Hollywood movies has suffered similar consequences. Last Summer, releasing big movies like TDKR, Prometheus and TASM, if I remember well, in 1-2 weeks gap. Or more recently, Skyfall and Hobbit, with crappy release dates. I have the impression that we have to get used to this.

The China Clusterf--k: Is Hollywood Fed Up?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinese-american-movie-productions-is-444814

Nonetheless, Paramount is not counting on Transformers 4 to be a co-production, says studio vice chairman Rob Moore. Doing that would be a mistake. "We're taking a different approach," he says. "We are only counting on the fact that we have identified partners that we believe will help us make the best, most playable movie for China. If we have a more playable movie in China, we're going to be happy with that."

They better be not. Low their expectations.

DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD:

‘Iron Man 3′ Gets May 3 China Release Date

shit just got real ...  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

So pissed. 

Edit:

THR also reported: 

'Iron Man 3' Snags Prime China Release, Same Date as North America

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/iron-man-3-snags-prime-445793?

Edited by firedeep