A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

89m is the decisive number, that puts us both about 19% away.Anyone else got a Japan Frozen prediction?

Well its such a wild card but I think I'm going to lean more towards your side and say that it makes a play for $100m. So that's my official prediction but really I could see anything from $60m-$150m happening and not be all that surprised.

I am sorry for asking but La belle et la bete(Beauty and the beast 2014 film) rights have been recently sold in China.

Is that means that it will be released there or that it has chances to but not sure?

:huh:  ^_^

Did they specify that the theatrical rights had been sold? TV and streaming rights are a big business here too. That said, they usually release a handful of French films every year and this seems like a good candidate for one of those slots.

Numbers for some fellow Women's Day releases besides Olive posted:

Robocop --- 36M --- +120% --- 234M

Malavita/the Family --- 18m --- +170% --- 24.6m

Free Birds --- 18M --- +220% --- 21.3M

DOS --- 16M --- +60% --- 423M

The Old Cinderella --- 14m --- +115% --- 20.5m

Sweet Alibis --- 9.5m --- +110% --- 14m

BLS reached 400m, Macau 521m, TMK 1041m, Frozen 285m, Ex-files 130m.

Jeffrey Lau's latest rom-com output Lock Me Up,Tie Him Down flopped on 16m after 5 days.

Smaug is only movie that didnt get WD boost across the board.

Free Birds and Luc Besson's The family opens fine. Both should do more than $10m.

300m is safe for Robocop. Rom-coms The Old Cinderella and Sweet Alibis catering for Women's Day slot perform so-so.

Thanks for being a Saturday and crazy B2C promotions from Alibaba and Baidu, 2014's WD is the first to break 100m, weighing around 115m. That couldnot save a slow March start though, as the week 3.3~3.9 likely to total just 360m, which will be way below the average mark of the year. (Year 2014 national box office gross is broadly estimated more than 280m, meaning nearly 540m weekly take on average.)

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

I'm interested in how Black Coal, Thin Ice will do at the box office?  The film just won the prestigious Golden Bear at last month's Berlin Film Festival, and that's pretty big deal (especially for Asian films).  Any predictions on how the film will do box office wise?