A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Yeah, holiday opening is no joke. I can see $30m+ OW. It is Tomb Sweeping (清明, Qing Ming) holiday, which runs Apr 5~7th this year. Cap 2 opens Apr 4th. It is clear that (if not dont count co-productions) now Disney movies get much better release dates than other Hollywood studios, exact reasons as Olive points. A daily breakdown for TWS is probably too early atm, but whatever: 4th --- 50m5th --- 85m6th --- 80m-------- 210m $35 OW7th --- 65m8th --- 30m9th --- 28m10th --- 23m11th --- 20m12th --- 35m13th --- 30m-------- 440m after 10 days--------- 80m 3rd week--------- 545m finish $89. :ph34r:

This is one of those rare times I see you being generous and optimistic about a movie's BO potential. It's so weird :lol:

Have you also got any estimates for friday!?top 5?

Check below.

what of black coal?

Ps...50 mill or 60 for nfs?

In fact, NFS is just holding normally but since most recent Hollywood movies have had poor legs, so it appears holding strong, in a relative way. Looking $55m seems safe for NFS, but 60m would be hard.

Black coal should aim 100m with that opening, as I guessed before.

This is one of those rare times I see you being generous and optimistic about a movie's BO potential. It's so weird :lol:

Not really, what would be weird is that when you see B-lists like Robocop and NFS are doing numbers in the $50~60m range, you still predict similar numbers for real A-list Cap 2. Judging by internet hype, you would sense more people will go to see Cap 2 than ASM2. Though we all know ASM2 appeals a lot kids and family audience. So in the end, both should do similar numbers, high 80m around 90m.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

It's the movie firedeep referred to earlier in the thread as Fighting. As far as I can tell, it's a wartime martial-arts story with no connection to the old John Woo flick. The original Chinese title was the same as the Chinese title of the Woo film, but they changed it before release.

Edited by Bob Violence

China expected to confirm second distribution licenseNot sure how "seismic" this will actually be, especially since the new licensee is apparently a newcomer to the film biz. On the other hand that might be a point in their favor from Hollywood's perspective, since CFGC is heavily involved in domestic films and doesn't have much incentive to push imported movies. I also wonder if this presages the quota expansion that was reported (and denied) or month or two back—expanding the quota would be a decent reason to loosen CFGC's grip on imports. Edited by Bob Violence