A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

The Avengers will pass $100m in China, mark my words B)

China 2008 IM1 $15,274,332 2009 IH __ $8,929,638 2010 IM2 _ $7,919,827The others were not released?so for your prediction to become true it needs to jump like TF2 -> TF3

China2008 IM1 $15,274,3322009 IH __ $8,929,6382010 IM2 _ $7,919,827The others were not released?so for your prediction to become true it needs to jump like TF2 -> TF3

It's not Iron Man 3.I see it as a new franchise..People too --> success well beyond Iron Man in Europe and Australia.

China2008 IM1 $15,274,3322009 IH __ $8,929,6382010 IM2 _ $7,919,827The others were not released?so for your prediction to become true it needs to jump like TF2 -> TF3

Where did you find those numbers? They are far from correct. You can find numbers for IM and IM2 on the first post of this thread. IM2 increased a lot from IM, ~70%+ in admission. 2008 IM: 105.9M2008 TIH: 60M2010 IM2: 176.37M2011 Thor: 98.15M2011 CA: 96.15M(in Chinese yuan)However, I also think it's difficult for Avengers to get $100M in China.

Where did you find those numbers? They are far from correct. You can find numbers for IM and IM2 on the first post of this thread. IM2 increased a lot from IM, ~70%+ in admission.2008 IM: 105.9M2008 TIH: 60M2010 IM2: 176.37M2011 Thor: 98.15M2011 CA: 96.15M(in Chinese yuan)However, I also think it's difficult for Avengers to get $100M in China.

from BOmojoso IM1 and TIH about correct; IM2 underreported and Thor and Capt. were released but no success.I bet you anything they will count the BO of The avengers with the other releases.

from BOmojo

so IM1 and TIH about correct; IM2 underreported and Thor and Capt. were released but no success.

I bet you anything they will count the BO of The avengers with the other releases.

No, it's not what you thought. Underreporting indeed exists, but the difference in numbers here doesn't come from underreporting.

I cannot access IM2 foreign page on BOM at the moment. However, I find the $7.9M number in BOM first weekend report. That is to say, $7.9M for IM2 is not its gross, it's only the opening week, that's why you see a decrease from IM. You can check it here:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2769&p=.htm

"...Even with openings in China, Germany and India, Iron Man 2's $59 million represents a 41 percent decline from its opening. In China, the movie got off to a strong $7.9 million start, which was up 39 percent from the first Iron Man's debut two years ago..."

I still dont believe Avengers can gross $100M here...

$100m is extrememly tough for any SH movies, but given the fact it's opening BIG in HK, it will be likely to make good bucks in China as well. Sometimes HK could be a good indicator.

I only see the hype for TA on the internet (only on movie sites to be exact). Just hope WOM can give it some good legs to finish around 70~80M.

Same opinion here. Super hero movies are not that popular in China. Of the mainstream moviegoers, most don't take SH seriously. Just like most think Animes are made for children, which is not true.Perhaps the exception is TDK. However, TDK never got a release, so no one knows if it follows the normal SH way. But with the always-good WOM of Nolan's films, I believe TDKR will do much better than TA, if it is released.

$100m is extrememly tough for any SH movies, but given the fact it's opening BIG in HK, it will be likely to make good bucks in China as well. Sometimes HK could be a good indicator.

I think TDKR and TASM can do it, but not TA. Sometimes HK could be a good indicator, while sometimes it is not. Like Toy Story 3. So TA breaking out in HK means nothing about what it might do in mainland. South Korea, on the other hand, probably is a better indicator for hollywood movies. TA is just doing normally good in SK with some 12M OW and 30~35M total, less than half of TF3.

Same opinion here. Super hero movies are not that popular in China. Of the mainstream moviegoers, most don't take SH seriously. Just like most think Animes are made for children, which is not true.

Perhaps the exception is TDK. However, TDK never got a release, so no one knows if it follows the normal SH way. But with the always-good WOM of Nolan's films, I believe TDKR will do much better than TA, if it is released.

I think TDKR (if gets released) and TASM can both outgross TA in China. Spidey is more like a family film than TA and it can attrac both children and aduits. TDKR has TDK and Inception effect, and it should get very strong wom and talking topics among movie goers.