A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I just hope Mockingjay finally escapes from sub-$30M range.

Yeah, I find that kind of astonishing.  I mean, there have been plenty of US-centric movie series that have done poorly overseas (Jason Bourne, every Star Trek movie ever, etc) but the sheer magnitude of Hunger Games' failure to connect to overseas viewers so far has been singularly impressive.  The list of movies in recent years that have been box-office dominating runaway hits in the US and have then gone on to struggle to match their domestic total internationally is pretty short and the Hunger Games' movies feature very prominently. Maybe MJ1 is the movie where it finally breaks out.  We'll see.

Edited by Wrath

Yeah, I find that kind of astonishing.  I mean, there have been plenty of US-centric movie series that have done poorly overseas (Jason Bourne, every Star Trek movie ever, etc) but the sheer magnitude of Hunger Games' failure to connect to overseas viewers so far has been singularly impressive.  The list of movies in recent years that have been box-office dominating runaway hits in the US and have then gone on to struggle to match their domestic total internationally is pretty short and the Hunger Games' movies feature very prominently. Maybe MJ1 is the movie where it finally breaks out.  We'll see.

MJ1 will definitely do better than the previous two ,taking China's market rapid growth into consideration.

But this franchise is not so Jason Bourne or Star Trek, as it has no delicate plot or beautiful views at all.

Frankly speaking,all it has is its childish political projections ,which looks stupid to Chinese audience, especially when the third chapter fails to provide an enough convincing story.

Edited by Fantaboy

No Big Hero 6?

More than $100m for Interstellar? :o

BH6 won't get a release this year!Maybe because Disney is too successful this year.

CA2  721M

GOTG  586M

Need for Speed 412M

Frozen  300M

Maleficent 291M

Five movies made $375M with an average of 75M.

Edited by Carol Danvers
  • Like 2

BH6 won't get a release this year!Maybe because Disney is too successful this year.

CA2  721M

GOTG  586M

Need for Speed 412M

Frozen  300M

Maleficent 291M

Five movies made $375M with an average of 75M.

So you mean it will have a release next year or does that mean it won't be released in China??? :o

Didn't Breakup Buddies got an extension?  So how come it ended its run in just a month (like most Hollywood films)?  I thought Chinese films usually gets more time in theatres than imported films?

Its run was extended for 5 days, it had no showtimes on Tuesday.

MJ1 will definitely do better than the previous two ,taking China's market rapid growth into consideration.

But this franchise is not so Jason Bourne or Star Trek, as it has no delicate plot or beautiful views at all.

Frankly speaking,all it has is its childish political projections ,which looks stupid to Chinese audience, especially when the third chapter fails to provide an enough convincing story.

Um, except the various Hunger Games movies did in fact do rather better, both in China and broadly OS, relatively to their US Box office than the Bourne and Star Trek movies.  Bourne didn't start doing ok OS until the 4th movie.  My point is that none of those movies did nearly as well in the US as any of the Hunger Games movies did, so while Hunger Games outperformed them internationally, it didn't do as well *relative to its status as a blockbuster* as I would have expected.

Plus... c'mon, Breakup Buddies has a delicate plot?  Really?

Mockingjay has more competitions than CF.

CF vs. Gravity last year.

But Mockingjay will fight against Interstellar, Penguins and Fury.

I'm afraid the distributor may move it to next year.

Edited by Carol Danvers

Breaking Buddies ended its run on Monday, final total stood at 1167M / $189M.

All time #5.

Xu Zheng break out again.....he ,now, stand in #2 after only Stephen Chow. He will back soon with Lost in HongKong. whether it can beat The Mermaid or not?

Anyone know Kungfu Hustle 3D release? i believe it still be most powerful local hit...

Edited by Tonghai

Um, except the various Hunger Games movies did in fact do rather better, both in China and broadly OS, relatively to their US Box office than the Bourne and Star Trek movies.  Bourne didn't start doing ok OS until the 4th movie.  My point is that none of those movies did nearly as well in the US as any of the Hunger Games movies did, so while Hunger Games outperformed them internationally, it didn't do as well *relative to its status as a blockbuster* as I would have expected.

Plus... c'mon, Breakup Buddies has a delicate plot?  Really?

Hunger Games isn't that kind of blockbuster that can earn a good amount of money especially in China ,as it has neither eye-popping visuals nor delicate plots.

Breakup Buddies is a comedy movie.It delivers enough laughing elements to audience, therefore it doesn't need to give as delicate plot as Bourne does.

People go to movies to rest to have fun. Unfortunately, Hunger Games franchise fails to  entertain Chinese audience.