A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

At the moment, I dont get why IS has underperformed in North America, along with Latin America. Asia-Pacific and most Europe are rebounding nicely.

Latin America, who knows. North America? Poor marketing by Paramount. Not enough TV ads on ESPN for starters. That network has a huge audience of males between ages 15 and 40, exactly the people you want to market to when placing "from the director of TDK and Inception" in your advertising. It costs a lot of money to run ads on ESPN though. Paramount decided to cheapskate on this instead of ponying up the cash.

• Like 1

That's the studios. Leave the movie alone. lol

That makes no sense, this is a box office forum and a movie forum.

A place where we talk about how a film did financially and a place where we talk about the film itself if it was good or not. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Imo the NA market this year has been rather down.

If it were not for the massive overseas run of films this year, films like Apes, DOFP and many others would been seen as disappointments to semi flops. 

I think part of it is simply so many event movies for the same demographic. I've been to a theater more this year than I can ever remember. Makes it tough on people to make a choice or even to go back for repeat viewings. For me this year I've seen all of these in the theater:

Cap 2

Spidey 2

Godzilla

X-Men

Dracula

Guardians

Interstellar

Apes 2

Nightcrawler

I'm probably leaving out something too. Next year the slate is much emptier for me.

People talk about how the films have been great all these year but imo apart from Cap2, GOTG, DOFP and Apes, not heard much talk about movies this year at all from people. 

It is not like 2012 where everyone saw THG, TA, TDKR and Skyfall.

or 2013 with IM3 CF and Frozen. 

I thought Godzilla was a huge letdown. It had one great 15-20 minutes stretch during the climax, but the rest of the movie was "meh." I wish they had made Godzilla more of a villain like he was in the original movie from the 50's.

Making Godzilla a hero was a novelty but I think the nature of the film was so emotionally detached for audiences. 

For comic books its been a great year, all the films apart from ASM 2 did better then all expectations and were great films. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Making Godzilla a hero was a novelty but I think the nature of the film was so emotionally detached for audiences. 

It wasn't that much of a novelty. The majority of Godzilla movies in existence feature him as a good guy instead of the bad guy. The marketing was very misleading though. Made it out to be like he WAS the bad guy, and then he wasn't. Turns out it was those stupid MUTO's Cranston was screaming about in the trailers. Obviously audiences weren't too impressed...movie had dreadful legs. I don't think anyone figured after opening weekend it would crawl to $200m.

• Like 1

People talk about how the films have been great all these year but imo apart from Cap2, GOTG, DOFP and Apes, not heard much talk about movies this year at all from people. 

It is not like 2012 where everyone saw THG, TA, TDKR and Skyfall.

or 2013 with IM3 CF and Frozen. 

You forgot the hobbit...... twice :D