A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

TT2's date is confirmed, they've already got a poster out. TT1 will be gone by then and part two was shot at the same time, so it's probably ready to go anytime they want. As firedeep already noted, the two Tai Chi movies had the same gap between them and more or less the same problem (lower-than-hoped-for results and poor WOM). I think Tai Chi II would've done even worse if it had come out later, because frankly nobody would've remembered Tai Chi I after a six- or twelve-month gap. TT doesn't have the exact same problem, since it's based on an existing franchise with a built-in fanbase, but it's not a totally dissimilar situation. TT2 would probably lose everyone except die-hard fans if it came out in December or next year, but releasing it while part one is still fresh means some more casual viewers of part one might come in to "finish" it (though they're planning to make two more films down the line). Releasing it in December would all but guarantee the non-fans would go to one of the other big films coming out then.

Mr. Go is a Korean-Chinese co-production about a teenaged girl who inherits a baseball-playing gorilla. It's live action and the gorilla is done with CGI (not too shabby to judge from the trailers, but then Korea does some good CGI--some big-budget Chinese films actually outsource their CG scenes to Korean outfits). Also, it's in 3D. It looks totally ridiculous but in an entertaining way. I have a soft spot for animals doing sports stuff--I saw Most Valuable Primate 2 in the cinema and I'm not ashamed to admit it...

Edited by Bob Violence

You should see PR imax one way or another!   That's the top thing to do this summer! :P

OK

I already believe you :lol:

this weekend it is then!

And MOS has passed Skyfall, to become #3 of 2013 foreign movies behind IM3 and Croods.

booo :(

Edited by Leyla

Jay Chow's The Rooftop OD ¥17.7M

AfterEarth midnights ¥780k

MOS ¥3.6m~381M

That looks to be a pretty good hold for MOS. Friday will drop? Cause I noticed last Friday dropped from Thursday.

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't ¥381M already $62M? So $65M is possible?

Edited by Sam

Early trend indicates AE will win easily.

Is Will Smith a big star in China, Olive?

Also, just ask again, MOS total already passed $62M, right? So heading for $65M?

Is Will Smith a big star in China, Olive?

Also, just ask again, MOS total already passed $62M, right? So heading for $65M?

Yes. MIB3 made ¥500M + last year.

65M is doable.

• Like 1

I think in the case of Tiny Times, the film adaptation was already made (as one film), but they decided to split it into two films, and release them at separate time.  So its kind of like Tiny Times part 1 and part 2.  

And from what I understand, this is just for the first book.  I think here are three books in the Tiny Times series.  So if it goes well, the other two books might get similar treatments.

I think in the case of Tiny Times, the film adaptation was already made (as one film), but they decided to split it into two films, and release them at separate time.  So its kind of like Tiny Times part 1 and part 2.  

And from what I understand, this is just for the first book.  I think here are three books in the Tiny Times series.  So if it goes well, the other two books might get similar treatments.

smart move ala twilight etc