A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Olive can u attribute this to it being the 7th film and not many have seen the other films? 

Yeah, most of my friends haven't any older SW movies.

Most general audience can't find the link between EP7 and old SW movies.

The prequels had small admissions in China, and people think the original trilogy movies are out-dated.

Chinese people must watched too many sword fighting scenes in Wuxia/Kung fu movies, so the lightsabre fighting doesn't look interesting enough to them.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

My guess, as Star Wars has never been a big thing over in China, is that a lot of the audience of TFA haven't seen all the previous films and are going into this film new to Star Wars, not totally understanding the relevance of characters the film talks about (Luke Skywalker) and feature. Even subject matter like Jedi, the dark side, Empire, Republic, the force etc. If someone hasn't seen SW before that could all seem like gobbledygook. Where as western audiences are going into the film with the history within the film indented into their memory.

My guess is without nostaglia glasses the Chinese see the film for how it actually is.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

very similar to Spectre.drop hard on weekday and lose screen on weekend.With less competition,TFA is more likely over¥800M,close to MI5 level.

Hmm so we're looking at about $120m by the end of China's run.

21 hours ago, The Gotham Bank said:

If China had its very own Oscars equivalent, a Transformers movie would win Best Picture.

China has the Golden Rooster Awards, one of several, which is its Oscar equivalent.  

But hey, don't let this trivial get in the way of your cheap jab.

Edited by FranMan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I don't think it's overly difficult to understand how an epic, amazing series of films that have succeeded with multiple generations over almost 40 years is beloved by fans worldwide. We have fans in every country and, yes, it's by far the biggest entertainment property worldwide, but especially in the English-speaking world. Are you a chick? I guess a lot of girls didn't grow up with Star Wars, but every guy did. Even if I didn't, I would have become a fan. The films are incredible to watch and for me were very inspiring. It's the reason I became a writer and then a filmmaker. 

You seem to have a problem separating your own personal experience and that of others. you can't just assume that every guy either grew up with Star Wars or is a big fan. I'm a guy and while I don't hate Star Wars, I still think they are very overrated, and find them to be very average films that have some entertaining parts but are also very flawed.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Monday Estimates:

SW7 47.5M/392M,$7.2M/$59.6M 

-65% from Sunday, not good.

Seems like a pretty normal monday drop to me, JW dropped 64%. Or are you saying because it's its 3rd day the drop should have been less?

Edited by Elessar

10 minutes ago, Tower said:

You seem to have a problem separating your own personal experience and that of others. you can't just assume that every guy either grew up with Star Wars or is a big fan. I'm a guy and while I don't hate Star Wars, I still think they are very overrated, and find them to be very average films that have some entertaining parts but are also very flawed.

But you think your opinion is part of the majority opinion considering that SW has been the most dominant franchise in movie history. The 7th movie in the franchise brushed aside the previous record holder in NA like it was nothing. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited by jb007

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Seems like a pretty normal monday drop to me, JW dropped 64%. Or are you saying because it's its 3rd day the drop should have been less?

JW was more a family movie, it had big increases on weekends, I think EP7 won't increase as much.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Elessar said:

JW cinema score is very good.

over 90% likes  wanda (TFA 71%)

9.0 Maoyan  (TFA  8.1)

8.6 Gewara   (TFA8.0)

JW bump up much on Friday.Sometimes weekday cant see the difference.For Hollywood film,weekend is more crucial.Only 71% likes on Wanda.I cant see TFA bump up much this Friday.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, jb007 said:

But you think your opinion is part of the majority opinion considering that SW has been the most dominant franchise in movie history. The 7th movie in the franchise brushed aside the previous record holder in NA like it was nothing. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Looks like more people are viewing this thread... Thanks to Star Wars :) Can we live and let live? Many people in the English speaking world LOVE SW7, but not everyone. Much fewer in Asia are that crazy about SW7, but a fair number are. There are both female and male fans, LGBT included. The same demographic for non-fans like myself. We don't have to insist everyone has the same taste, do we? It will be pretty odd for the democratic west to demand that :) 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Does he? All he said is that not everyone is as enamored by Star Wars, especially in some other countries. Stop being so defensive and enjoy the success of your "most dominant franchise".

p.s.

I hate coffee!

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

120M~130M.

Close to MI5,a bit ahead of T5

My prediction is 30M/135M at first.

TFA drop hard more than expected,125M is the target now.

I suppose the best performing Hollywood film in China this year won't be SW7. Prob Avengers: Civil War?

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Maybe it will? Who knows. I think some of you are jumping the gun. Wouldn't be the first time. I myself have done it, too, from time to time. ;)

Anything can happen, sure, but it isn't as if Olive and bangbingchan's predictions are groundless. They're basing it on the current WOM (at least within their circle) and audience scores.

Edited by FranMan
  • Like 2

Maoyan has 195m for sat and 134m for Sunday now. I believe those are actuals. sun down 31%

It's got mon at 50m, hopefully actuals come in at this number or higher. It was the low end of the pre-sale multi. 4x 12.5m.

So it's going to be a 63-65%  drop.

Pre-sales for tues are at 10.4m. Down 17% at this time yesterday. The presale multi usually increases when getting further away from OD. So it has a shot at dropping at the 12% average. If 17% or higher happens then it's likely to fade hard into the weekend and a  70% drop could happen w/o/w

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FranMan said:

Anything can happen, sure, but it isn't as if Olive and bangbingchan's predictions are groundless. They're basing it on the current WOM (at least within their circle) and audience scores.

Sure, it just sometimes sounds as if it's already a done deal, a fact, that TFA will underperform (at least compared to some other countries).