A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Does he? All he said is that not everyone is as enamored by Star Wars, especially in some other countries. Stop being so defensive and enjoy the success of your most dominant franchise.

p.s.

I hate coffee!

A franchise like Star Wars with its phenomenal success for almost 4 decades needs no defense from me. 

No movie/franchise is enamored by everybody. 

10 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

I suppose the best performing Hollywood film in China this year won't be SW7. Prob Avengers: Civil War?

If KFP3 is Hollywood film,Panda is always the frontrunner this year.Super hero films will do great but not the best.Super hero film has limits.dark horse like FF7 may break this year?who knows.

Edited by bangbingchan

24 minutes ago, jb007 said:

But you think your opinion is part of the majority opinion considering that SW has been the most dominant franchise in movie history. The 7th movie in the franchise brushed aside the previous record holder in NA like it was nothing. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Oh, please, don't start this. SW = US and, to some extent, UK. That's pretty much it. It's not even remotely close to being the biggest movie franchise in history on a WW level.

11 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Sure, it just sometimes sounds as if it's already a done deal, a fact, that TFA will underperform (at least compared to some other countries).

I'm sure Olive would be the first to admit that the Chinese market is unpredictable in regards to Hollywood movies, as we have seen the past couple of months. (I don't think anyone saw FF7's mega-success coming.) Saying that, the audience scores from a selection of maoyan, wanda, gewara and duoban seem a fairly gauge for how a Hollywood movie could perform. I think with TFA in China, a range to aim for would be 150-200m depending on its legs, and this week is a huge test.

Edited by FranMan

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Then why that dick post?

Posting facts (not opinion) is being a dick? Geez. and that is your argument?

When a movie, product or any item for that matter is phenomenally successful, it just means that is liked by a super majority. People generalize and say almost everybody approves it. So it is that simple.  

In reality, nothing is liked or approved by EVERYBODY.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

If KFP3 is Hollywood film,Panda is always the frontrunner this year.Super hero films will do great but not the best.Super hero film has limits.

Batman v Superman's chances? There was a Christian Bale Batman meme going around on weibo a few years if I remember right, suggesting Bats is quite popular? And Man of Steel did quite well in 2013.

2 minutes ago, FranMan said:

Batman v Superman's chances? There was a Christian Bale Batman meme going around on weibo a few years if I remember right, suggesting Bats is quite popular? And Man of Steel did quite well in 2013.

ben afleck is batman now.

1 minute ago, FranMan said:

No.impossible.DC comics is more unfamiliar to Chinese.It's the beginning of DCU.Hope BvS will do well this year.

15 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I hate coffee!

I am allergic to coffee, so I hate it too. ;)

Cow-milk, and all made out of cow-milk the same (and not for the usual lactose others react badly to it), can't even smell it. Never cook with cream....

= I hate chocolate too (me female).

earned est. $7.2M on Monday (-65%). China's 3-day total is $59.6M.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Posting facts (not opinion) is being a dick? Geez. and that is your argument?

It's about how you post. Plus you put words in his mouth. For somebody that knows nothing is liked by everybody, you seemed very ticked off by somebody else suggesting just that.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

ben afleck is batman now.

I know. I'm curious how the new Batman would be received.

4 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

No.impossible.DC comics is more unfamiliar to Chinese.It's the beginning of DCU.Hope BvS will do well this year.

Even Batman isn't that familiar? Superman I'm sure the Chinese can recognise, but he's likely viewed as an American hero rather a more universal one.

16 hours ago, FranMan said:

Even Batman isn't that familiar? Superman I'm sure the Chinese can recognise, but he's likely viewed as an American hero rather a more universal one.

TDKR made ~ $52m acc BOM

edit:

in 2009 the movie 2012 made $68.67m, the years 2010-2012 are missing there (I do have somewhere the details, not sure where),

Man of Steel = $63.?mGravity = $70.68m,... and the more introduced Iron Man 3 (with regional scenes) = $121m. A local movie = #1 with $194.74m

If you look into the top 12 of 2014, all beside one movies are either local movies (red), or part ?? of something out of US/UK... already established with the same actors / ppl behind the scene involved (blue), see GotG an additional movie with a new cast to an introduced movies series (mix of green and blue) or by a renowned director, but still not introduced per se, new to introduce material (green)

1 Transformers: Age of Extinction HuaXia $320,000,000 6/27
2 Breakup Buddies n/a $187,970,000 9/30
3 The Monkey King n/a $167,840,000 1/31
4 The Taking of Tiger Mountain HuaXia $141,020,000 12/23
5 Interstellar China Film $121,990,000 11/12
6 X-Men: Days of Future Past HuaXia $116,490,000 5/23
7 Captain America: The Winter Soldier China Film $115,620,000 4/4
8 Dad, Where Are We Going? n/a $111,870,000 1/31
9 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes HuaXia $107,355,317 8/29
10 The Breakup Guru n/a $106,590,000 6/27
11 The Continent HuaXia $100,110,000 7/24
1 Guardians of the Galaxy HuaXia $96,470,000 10/10

2015 #1 = is a goodby to Walker too, #6 = JW surprised a lot of people, but seem to have clicked especially with the kids too, the rest = local or part #5 or #7... of an established movie series.

I really have no idea why ppl expected so much from SW VII !?

1 Furious 7 China Film $390,910,000 4/12
2 Monster Hunt China Film $381,860,000 7/16
3 Lost in Hong Kong n/a $253,590,000 9/25
4 Avengers: Age of Ultron n/a $240,110,000 5/11
5 Mojin: The Lost Legend n/a $238,415,336 12/17
6 Jurassic World n/a $228,740,000 6/10
7 Goodbye Mr. Loser n/a $226,161,196 9/25
8 Jian Bing Man HuaXia $186,350,000 7/17
9 The Man from Macau II Bona Light $154,130,000 2/19
10 Monkey King: Hero Is Back n/a $153,020,000 7/2
11  Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation n/a $136,760,000 9/8
12 The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies China Film $121,720,000 1/23

I mean the highest on the list without a franchise already introduced is... San Andreas

19 San Andreas n/a $103,190,000

21 The Martian n/a $94,932,731

btw, the 'small' local movie also running there...

‘Mojin’ Breaks IMAX Box Office Record in China - via

“Mojin – The Lost Legend” has broken the box office record for a local language IMAX film in China, overtaking China’s all time box office champ “Monster Hunt.”

As of Wed, Jan 6, “Mojin” had $27.1 million in IMAX’s China theaters, compared with $27.0 million for “Monster Hunt,” which was released in summer and held on screens for two months.

“Mojin,” a tomb-raiding action adventure based on a popular series of novels and directed by Wuershan, was released in mid December. “Mojin” had scored $245 million in its run to Friday (Jan. 7), so the score represents some 11% of its receipts in China. “Monster Hunt” scored over $380 million in total, implying a smaller IMAX portion...

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

It's about how you post. Plus you put words in his mouth. For somebody that knows nothing is liked by everybody, you seemed very ticked off by somebody suggesting just that.

Not at all. Titanic and Avatar were both stinking pile of crap IMHO. That doesn't change the fact almost everybody liked it/watched it. The difference is that I cannot subtly imply that my opinion is better than everybody else. People like what they like. 

To beat a dead horse, Even almighty god is not liked by everybody. 

15 minutes ago, FranMan said:

I know. I'm curious how the new Batman would be received.

it's not about batman or Superman.Dark side of super hero may be unfamiliar to Chinese.even TDKR didn't  break in 2012.it's the only film by Christopher Nolan which not reach top5.inception,interstellar both are 2nd highest foriegn film.DCU is unfamiliar to most Chinese too.Many people even don't Superman and batman can be in a same universal.

Edited by bangbingchan

Just now, bangbingchan said:

it's not about batman or Superman.Dark side of super hero may be unfamiliar to Chinese.even TDKR didn't  break in 2012.it's the only film by Christopher Nolan which not reach yearly top5.inception,interstellar both are 2nd highest foriegn film in yearly boxoffice.

TDKR came out with Amazing Spiderman... and the latter is more popular with chinese audiences and has 3D showtimes yet TDKR won. The next weekend I believe Expendables 2 came out, and no1 knew Jet Li was just having a cameo role. Not forgetting TDK did not even get shown in Chinese theaters. Yes, I don't think TDKR did extremely well, but I think it performed beyond the expectations of many with a bad release date, and lack of 3D cinemas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bangbingchan said:

it's not about batman or Superman.Dark side of super hero may be unfamiliar to Chinese.even TDKR didn't  break in 2012.it's the only film by Christopher Nolan which not reach yearly top5.inception,interstellar both are 2nd highest foriegn film in yearly boxoffice.

I see, that's informative. So I suppose Chinese audiences prefer Marvel's lighter fare. And perhaps explains AoU's loss of legs.

@jb007 usually we are on the same page but im taking the other side this time. I dont think anyone was speaking disparagingly about Star Wars. I think you misunderstood what he was saying.