A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

That was the original posters(worldwide). Then last month China Rev'ed up their marketing and for all the online platforms, they placed and used that banner i posted when mentioning about the premiere or ticket discounts

That's the poster for Asian countries (like China, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc except Korea). In the WW posters, Ruby Rose is included. And the second pic was taken at the cinema yesterday and is the poster used in every ticketing platform + billboards + cinema posters + promotional posts on Weibo/WeChat. 

Donnie is a huge draw but he's not the only one!

On 2/11/2017 at 0:41 PM, Polaroids said:

That's the poster for Asian countries (like China, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc except Korea). In the WW posters, Ruby Rose is included. And the second pic was taken at the cinema yesterday and is the poster used in every ticketing platform + billboards + cinema posters + promotional posts on Weibo/WeChat. 

Donnie is a huge draw but he's not the only one!

If my tone sounds like I am undermining Vin Diesel as a draw in China, then I apologise, haha. Vin Diesel is without a doubt a draw, but he does not have a strong fanbase in China and don't bring about consistent box office numbers. Look at The Last Witch-Hunter, similar release date as xXx, but flopped so badly in China.

That poster you mentioned was in China cinemas, mass-printed since Dec/Jan when the official release date is confirmed. Since these are printed, and sent to the cinemas and online websites, they of course will not take them back.

From what I understand from some insiders, Paramount China looked very close at  4x multiple of Rogue One in China in its opening day and focused on promotion of Donnie Yen especially when the China audiences were raving about Donnie in R1 yet complaining he did not have enough screen time.

For the past month, Paramount made Donnie lead the Chinese New year greeting for Triple X (You have seen that 1min 14secs video right?), started making the digital banner which I mentioned  to promote ticket sales on various website(even though the original poster was still used as the movie poster), On weibo...released highlights of Donnie's scenes in the movie, released/shared reviews of overseas audience raving about Donnie's performance, released 2 promotional posters of Donnie/Vin being the "Men Shen" - Guardians of the door during CNY.

Requested for Donnie to appear at the Beijing Premiere (he originally was too busy and was not able to attend, he had to cut short his Japan tour with his family. Just to let you know, Donnie did not appear for KungFu Jungle's premiere in 2014 in many cities around China because he believes more in Word-of-mouth and cares more about reception than box office.

Of course Paramount China knows Vin and Kris are also big draws without a single doubt, but when I read the other people like @eXtacy giving all the credit to vin because he has ZERO knowledge, I just feel pissed.  
fe7002087bf40ad1d61486465e2c11dfa8ecceabchina%202.jpg

I am reading audience reviews right now, Maoyan, Weibo, Gewara, and we both know which name appear most in the reviews. =) Donnie Yen. 

All I can say is Paramount hit all the right notes for the promotion for this, especially in the last month, to change the focus to say that:
"Hey, R1 did not show enough of Donnie Yen, but in our movie xXx, we are telling you that your local Superstar is ALMOST the main character and his performance is superb, watch it for him!"

Edited by TigerPaw

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

XXX at 80 mill by 3,30 pm

Higher than yesterday by 5 mill

Lala Land's sneak previews will definitely damage it a little. Think it may be slightly short of yesterday's amount.. + some chinese have dinner/burn incense today as it marks end of their CNY.

Saturday estimates

before service charges
xXx  -  145.4m / 284m
Kung Fu Yoga  -  39.6m / 1,458m
Duckweed  -  28.7m / 807m
Cook Up a Storm  -  26m / 582m
JTTW2 - 1,499m total
Entangled Worlds  -  451m total
La La Land  -  11.3m(previews)

after service charges

xXx  -  153.6m / 300m
Kung Fu Yoga  -  42m / 1,537m
Duckweed  -  30.8m / 853m
Cook Up a Storm  -  27.6m / 616m
JTTW2 - 17.4m / 1,584m
Entangled Worlds  -  17m / 4691m
La La Land  -  12m(previews)

• Like 7

8 hours ago, bangbingchan said:

The revenant did 377M Last year 

LaLa Land 350M+ with VD is not that difficult

La La Land is a musical comedy which has always been extremely underrated in China. General Audiences do not like this kind of film not only because there is a gap between cultures also because they think singing over and over again in a film is really tedious and not funny.

I personally love this film so much even through the performances of leading roles are comparably weak, it's actually one of my top10 films ever. However, you can check the views on either Douban or Maoyan, I have to say that the WOM of general audiences would be okay but far from excellent, in other words, it's hard for LLL to be the second Hacksaw Ridge here and 350M+ is really tough.

3 hours ago, ChrisTelclear said:

I don't know, the audience scores on Douban and Maoyan are 8.7 and 8.8.  Does that mean something different there?

In fact, Douban is not a typical audience ranking system, many movie fans prefer to discuss or credit films here, I hope LLL can at least get 8.5 or more after releasing, but it's not that easy. And Maoyan is more close to the general public, an 8.8 on Maoyan is good but not excellent.

BTW, for Maoyan scores,

above 9.0, excellent,

8.5-8.9,  good but nothing special,

8.0-8.4, okay but not good,

7.5-7.9, Poor,

under 7.5, extremely awful.

The highest score on Maoyan is Zootopia's 9.5 and the highest score for non-animated film is Hacksaw Ridge's 9.4.

LLL not doing well coincides with my expectations, even though I haven't watched it cuz it's not my type of movie, from what I see of the plot it doesn't even make sense as Vday movie. I've seen a couple posts on Chinese forums saying it helped them break up with their bf XD

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

Why are the estimates from Maoyan and 电影票房 very different?

Maoyan has xXx at 161 million (after service charges I presume). 

Maoyan do not have official source.

And since service charge was calculated, situation becomes more complicated.