A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

hmm So if Thor can do 55 ish in China and TA did 90 million and Im3 did 120 million

TA2 should jump a lot then ? 

At least up to IM3 numbers? 

The Avengers are way more popular than before, especially among kids.

TA2 will easily make 800-900M yuan or more.

• Like 2

The gap is becoming bigger ... clearly young adult flicks like Twilight/CF in China would never be as popular as in English speaking territories. thinking high 400m for Gravity and middle 200m for CF in total.

Im thinking 600 mill for Gravity

now, when it is clear gravity is a winner, everybody whishes it well. a month ago, when i was hopping this would happen and secretly hopped for 100M dollars, best predictions were 55-60M. I said gravity would make twice as much as CF, despite the similar release date. people thought the opposite would be the case, the best predictions Gand CF would get even. great results dont come from statistics but from guts. :) the first trailer of gravity shown it could be the event type of a movie. something we have never seen before.  listen to your inner self, people, do not just count beans. :)  i still think, desptite the comptetion, G will get excellent WOM and will make close to 100M in China. It is not just an event movie, it is a film which everyoby thinks it is a duty to see in a theater.

Forget 600m, not possible, late Nov shedule wont allow that. Local tentpole films will obsolutely take over starting Nov 29 with White Storms till late Feb.

Yeah well. Pacific Rim did not have a chance either. Still happens rarely. Sometimes you need to stick out your nose to go from being a good predicter to a great one. This is my sometimes

Disappointing OD for CF, just a 20%~30% increase from THG (13M).

I would like to say it one more time: 600m yuan will not happen to Gravity, neither $100m. [i can quit on predicting China box office if 600m happens]. 500m maybe. You got to know what the coming release schedule is like. My viewing this evening just confirmed me that Gravity will not play like a 600m+ blockbuster to the Chinese audience.

WOM for Gravity is solid, but nothing close to what it seems to be getting crazily from US audience and critics.

Fox example, On douban, largest movie site in China, the average rating has dropped from nearly 9.0 to 8.2 in the past couple days; on Gewara, one of the biggest ticket booking sites, the rating has dropped to just 7.3 from over 8 in 2 days with 94945 votes. And of course most importantly on social nets, the buzz is nothing like a 600m+ grosser, not close.

But it already surpassed most expectations with possible $75m+ finish, so 500m or 600m, not a big deal.

As for CF ... some audience from my show said they didnt even get it. 

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Random guess:

Gravity ---- 11.20 ---- 490m

Catching Fire ---- 11.21 ---- 210m

Control  ----- 11.22 ---- 100m

The White Storm  ---- 11.29 ---- 300m

No Man Land  ---- 12.3 ---- 500m

The Four 2  ---- 12.6 ---- 150m

Firestorm  ---- 12.12 ---- 250m

Personal Tailor ---- 12.19 ---- 1B

Police Story 2013 ---- 12.24 ---- 2D ---- 450M

As The Light Goes Out ---- 12.31 ---- 150M

The Wind Rises ---- 12.31 ---- 300M

From Vegas to Maca  ---- 1.31 ---- 200m

The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom ---- 1.31 ---- 150m

Monkey King ---- 1.31 ---- 2D/3D/IMAX ---- 600m

Disappointing OD for CF, just a 20%~30% increase from THG (13M).

I would like to say it one more time: 600m yuan will not happen to Gravity, neither $100m. [i can quit on predicting China box office if 600m happens]. 500m maybe. You got to know what the coming release schedule is like. My viewing this evening just confirmed me that Gravity will not play like a 600m+ blockbuster to the Chinese audience.

WOM for Gravity is solid, but nothing close to what it seems to be getting crazily from US audience and critics.

Fox example, On douban, largest movie site in China, the average rating has dropped from nearly 9.0 to 8.2 in the past couple days; on Gewara, one of the biggest ticket booking sites, the rating has dropped to just 7.3 from over 8 in 2 days with 94945 votes. And of course most importantly on social nets, the buzz is nothing like a 600m+ grosser, not close.

But it already surpassed most expectations with possible $75m+ finish, so 500m or 600m, not a big deal.

As for CF ... some audience from my show said they didnt even get it.

Fair enough. I accept your conclusions.

But did LOP show other strong signs that Gravity does' ent?

Just a question