A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Give CF some time.  We should wait and see how will it performance on Saturday.  Since Gravity and Catching Fire (2 big films) released during the weekdays so people might have to choose one to watch as many of them have work or college next day?

Edited by deep mama

Disappointing OD for CF, just a 20%~30% increase from THG (13M).

I would like to say it one more time: 600m yuan will not happen to Gravity, neither $100m. [i can quit on predicting China box office if 600m happens]. 500m maybe. You got to know what the coming release schedule is like. My viewing this evening just confirmed me that Gravity will not play like a 600m+ blockbuster to the Chinese audience.

WOM for Gravity is solid, but nothing close to what it seems to be getting crazily from US audience and critics.

Fox example, On douban, largest movie site in China, the average rating has dropped from nearly 9.0 to 8.2 in the past couple days; on Gewara, one of the biggest ticket booking sites, the rating has dropped to just 7.3 from over 8 in 2 days with 94945 votes. And of course most importantly on social nets, the buzz is nothing like a 600m+ grosser, not close.

But it already surpassed most expectations with possible $75m+ finish, so 500m or 600m, not a big deal.

As for CF ... some audience from my show said they didnt even get it. 

In terms of the reaction from GA, I will say China is exactly on par with US. GA love(d) it and clearly not as much as the critics did.

And China will have no problem clearing the No.1 OS territory with at least 50m - 60m, even with a tough schedule. This suggests that Chinese are actually among those OS audience who show the most love for the movie.

Shouldn't LOP have a bigger advantage than Gravity on the virtue of being directed by Ang Lee?

I think it helped not just because of the perception of Lee as a (semi-)local-boy-made-good, but because people had appropriate expectations. Chinese audiences know Ang Lee and they don't go to his movies expecting explosions and non-stop action. Alfonso Cuarón? That name doesn't mean anything to 95-99% of Chinese moviegoers. From the advertising one might assume that Gravity is some sort of sci-fi action thriller, especially because the Chinese marketing (as noted earlier) is relying heavily on an endorsement from James Cameron. That's definitely attracting viewers, but it's also setting up the wrong expectations, because while Gravity has a sort of Cameronesque sense of spectacle, its narrative and pacing is much more stripped-down and deliberate than a Cameron film.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I accept your conclusions.But did LOP show other strong signs that Gravity does' ent?Just a question

LOP has much more depth than Gravity and is more heart touching to Chinese audience.

Back then, outside being a "visual feast", there were all kinds of interpretations by fans on LOP on Weibo. Barely none for Gravity, just a visual feast to GA.

In terms of the reaction from GA, I will say China is exactly on par with US. GA love(d) it and clearly not as much as the critics did.

And China will have no problem clearing the No.1 OS territory with at least 50m - 60m, even with a tough schedule. This suggests that Chinese are actually among those OS audience who show the most love for the movie.

Yeah I kinda of agree.

China will be its #1 OS market. And Gravity plays here very well, no doubt. Maybe Chinese audience even like it more than Korea audience did or Japanese audience will do.

If we put it in another way:

Gravity will rank #6 or #7 on 2013 yearly chart in US/CA. But it wont be in the top 2013 10 in China. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2013&p=.htm

LOP on the other hand, just ranked #27 in NA while #6 in China.

Wow.... Gravity should double CF gross!

Looks so.

CF once again proves American YA movies are not the cup of tea to Chinese audience. (if we dont count HP).

Uh, CF isn't holding well.Lowest PTA of top 5 in morning shows.

Thought being a sequel would help it, more buzz. Well now it is the opposite: stuck between part one and part 3/4, GA dont get it.  :ph34r:

How are WOM for CF so far?

Good among fans, "what the hell is that" among GA.

Maybe the revolution theme of the movie not connecting well with audience?

Maybe simply because it is a sequel without (beginning and) ending.

Edited by firedeep

Good among fans, "what the hell is that" among GA.

Hmm, that's weird. I read that the movie followed the book very closely. And to me, the book plot/content is pretty straightforward, nothing mysterious or too complicated to understand.

Hmm, that's weird. I read that the movie followed the book very closely. And to me, the book plot/content is pretty straightforward, nothing mysterious or too complicated to understand.

THG series didnt gain many new fans over the past year in China. Hence the small increase for CF from THG on box office. Problem of all franchise films. GA dont get it if they didnt see the previous ones.

• Like 1