A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

10 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Black Adam won't be introduced.

Not unexpected but is there any reasoning being given for its rejection? Do we know why it would not release?

4 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

《黑寡妇》引进肯定没问题,毕竟之前漫威23部电影都引进了;

《尚气》引进肯定没问题,毕竟漫威总裁都专门发视频纠正辱华传闻了;

《毒液2》引进肯定没问题,电影局只是看漫威影业本部不爽,这是索尼的片子;

《蜘蛛侠:英雄无归》引进肯定没问题,毕竟有机会冲20亿,年底总要冲一冲大盘的吧;

《欢乐好声音2》引进肯定没问题,动画片那么人畜无害;

《壮志凌云2》引进肯定没问题,毕竟腾讯都投资了;

《刺猬索尼克2》引进肯定没问题,你看都官宣确定引进了;

《黑亚当》引进肯定没问题,得罪电影局的是漫威,DC这两年能上的都上了;

《阿凡达2》引进肯定没问题,

CC - @Gavin Feng @Olive

10 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Not unexpected but is there any reasoning being given for its rejection? Do we know why it would not release?

If you've followed the last couple of weeks of CCP politics you wouldn't be surprised. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Xi bans foreign films altogether soon. He's further tightening control over everything, including gaming and entertainment and even curse words in online comments. 

• ...wtf 1

27 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Pierce Brosnan wore something related to Daila Lama in an interview - that is what I heard / read.

And on Weibo, there are comments that said many Marvel fans took the chance and called in to the film board to highlight this and complained to get the film banned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Pierce Brosnan wore something related to Daila Lama in an interview - that is what I heard / read.

And on Weibo, there are comments that said many Marvel fans took the chance and called in to the film board to highlight this and complained to get the film banned.

Oh god, are you sure? The Tibetan is a very sensitive subject, it's similar to how Keanu Reeves got banned in the mainland

55 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

If you've followed the last couple of weeks of CCP politics you wouldn't be surprised. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Xi bans foreign films altogether soon. He's further tightening control over everything, including gaming and entertainment and even curse words in online comments. 

40 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

What do you guys think might happen with Avatar? Would it get a special permission to release given that there are so many fans there. Plus Jc and Disney are for sure going to try their best to get it released in China which could be its biggest market (overtaking dom). It will also be great business for cinemas, it will bring loads of profits. 

Or is it in trouble considering its a Disney movie. Plus it might topple a chinese domestic movie from all time charts so perhaps that might be a reason not to give it permission? Not giving Avatar permission will also be a huge statement from Chinese government regarding foreign movies. 

43 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

Oh god, are you sure? The Tibetan is a very sensitive subject, it's similar to how Keanu Reeves got banned in the mainland

Yeah; am not sure is it something worn by him or a past interview where he said something related to supporting Dalai Lama - everything seems to have been deleted / censored on Weibo.

The Keanu Reeves one was really a waste;  investors were very keen to bring in John Wick 4 as Asian Superstar - Donnie Yen is in it; see how xXx 3 did in China just marketing Vin Diesel vs Donnie Yen...

What a waste. USD100m at least for John Wick 4 if it opens there.. but no chance now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

What do you guys think might happen with Avatar? Would it get a special permission to release given that there are so many fans there. Plus Jc and Disney are for sure going to try their best to get it released in China which could be its biggest market (overtaking dom). It will also be great business for cinemas, it will bring loads of profits. 

Apparently after the Pierce Brosnan thing, some people started digging around about Zoe Saldana and found that she at some point wished Dalai lama birthday or something like that (so technically the reason for banning Avatar 2 is there if they want to).

So for the first time I think there is some reason to think Avatar 2 probably won't show in China, before this I was always fairly confident that Avatar 2 would make it.

With Avatar it is just really complicated, 

On one hand, Cameron does seem to have a good relation with China, Avatar itself is pretty inoffensive, there seems to be some collaboration with the CINITY format so potentially some backing from China Film Group, also one can argue, the market needs a big hit in December after what has became a disastrous year.

One the other hand, China has beef with Disney now, Avatar may threaten Watergate bridge's highest grossing of the year status, now with the increasingly tense relation with the west...

It's just really hard to say, I don't think we'll know for sure if Avatar 2 makes it or not until we get a release date confirmation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

China Film Bureau is in their full madness mode. Instead of watching film, they watch clips on how other people "offend" their propaganda.  

Outside of CNY, China BO has been dismal and ugly, and the past National day was just another new low but nobody want to "fix" this properly. With this, I just don't see how China can be the biggest BO market in a serious manner. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

China Film Bureau is in their full madness mode. Instead of watching film, they watch clips on how other people "offend" their propaganda.  

Outside of CNY, China BO has been dismal and ugly, and the past National day was just another new low but nobody want to "fix" this properly. With this, I just don't see how China can be the biggest BO market in a serious manner. 

And it’s also sad that people can’t watch the movie they wants 

• Like 2