A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

13 hours ago, NCsoft said:

China box office right now is just a horror show...

Never would I have imagined just a few years ago when everything was on the up, that we would witness this drastic decline (and to think just last year we still had the highest grosser of all time).

I hope things turn around, even if it's just to an extent.

Honestly, I'm fine with this trajectory continuing until they make some changes.

23 hours ago, porginchina said:

November's on pace to be just as bad!! Currently ¥210 million month-to-date without any noteworthy releases on deck; maybe Detective Conan will do okay next week but the Wikipedia tells me it released April in Japan, meaning piracy will take a toll.

One of the huge problems here is a lack of new product— WAY worse than the problems facing the US/Canada. 扫黑行动 (The Tipping Point) just became the first release of any note since National Day kicked off on Sept. 30 (and National Day was historically weak).

It's honestly astonishing how awful China's 2022 has been at the box office.

I believe China is the only market where 2022 box office is actually dropping from 2021.

China lost >$600m of box office in 2021 for their MCU denial. A rough estimate about how much these movies can get if proper release was given. 

SC - $75m

Eternals -$50m

Venom - $200m

NWH - $300m

For 2022, the potential BO loss isn't any better and A2 is denied, the loss can go up to $1bn. 

DS2 - $100m

Thor 4 - $75m

TGM - $50m

BA- $75m

BP2- $100m

On 11/13/2022 at 9:18 AM, Gavin Feng said:

Someone already said, they're fascist

So the worshipping of XI isn't fascist? 

• Like 1

In a weekend where Wakanda Forever took ~$180 million in the States, here in China, 扫黑行动 (The Tipping Point) opened to ¥62.75 million, or ~$8.9 million, in a commanding first place with a ~60% market share.

The "second-largest" box office market in the world, showing its might.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Exactly what I'm saying. Superhero fans have very similar behavior pattern. "Kevin Feige is god and never make mistake. Any problem on Marvel movies and shows come from director and writer."

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Disbelief 1

Probably grasping at straws after the absolute misery that has been 2022 at the Chinese box office what with Covid and lockdowns and censorship, but I'm wondering whether we'll see a few more Hollywood movies sneak into Chinese theaters following the Biden-Xi summit in Bali today and what appears to be the partial resumption of high-level US-China dialogue; would be an easy way to signal openness to America and would have the side effect of stemming some of the financial bleeding that domestic Chinese theaters have suffered over the past few years.

(okay so I really want to see Avatar: The Way of Water in theaters so there's a good chance I'm just deluding myself… side note: we're now close enough to Avatar's worldwide release that an announcement of its Chinese release, IF it gets a Chinese release, should be coming sooner rather than later)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, porginchina said:

Probably grasping at straws after the absolute misery that has been 2022 at the Chinese box office what with Covid and lockdowns and censorship, but I'm wondering whether we'll see a few more Hollywood movies sneak into Chinese theaters following the Biden-Xi summit in Bali today and what appears to be the partial resumption of high-level US-China dialogue; would be an easy way to signal openness to America and would have the side effect of stemming some of the financial bleeding that domestic Chinese theaters have suffered over the past few years.

(okay so I really want to see Avatar: The Way of Water in theaters so there's a good chance I'm just deluding myself… side note: we're now close enough to Avatar's worldwide release that an announcement of its Chinese release, IF it gets a Chinese release, should be coming sooner rather than later)

I can't imagine the BOXOFFICE being on the top 1000 things for them to pay attention

They simply do not care. 

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:44 AM, Borobudur said:

I believe China is the only market where 2022 box office is actually dropping from 2021.

China lost >$600m of box office in 2021 for their MCU denial. A rough estimate about how much these movies can get if proper release was given. 

SC - $75m

Eternals -$50m

Venom - $200m

NWH - $300m

For 2022, the potential BO loss isn't any better and A2 is denied, the loss can go up to $1bn. 

DS2 - $100m

Thor 4 - $75m

TGM - $50m

BA- $75m

BP2- $100m

Thanks for using realistic estimates, I still remember some users talking about 150/200M for Shang Chi and Black Adam, 500/600M for No Way Home and other absurdities... On the other hand I think that Dr Strange could have grossed more while Top Gun Maverick wouldn't have been released even in 2019

12 hours ago, The GOAT said:

I can't imagine the BOXOFFICE being on the top 1000 things for them to pay attention

They simply do not care. 

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

For the government as a whole, absolutely not; for the divisions within the government dedicated to regulating Chinese media (including movies), absolutely yes. They have been flexible on the foreign movie quota in the past to meet box office targets (although those clearly no longer matter); more pertinently, China has timed announcements to political events (i.e., Shanghai Disneyland was announced immediately after an Obama visit to China in 2009).

So, yeah, I'm probably deluding myself, but there are faint glimmers of reasoning for hope. Maybe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, xieh tie said:

its official, The movie will be released next Chinese new year

Should be interesting to see how this one performs. Should open enormously, but we haven't seen many successful sequels to a Chinese mega-hit yet (not counting anthology films)… Monster Hunt 2 and Detective Chinatown 3 got tanked with toxic word of mouth and Wolf Warrior 3 simply never happened (The Battle at Lake Changjin II, I guess, although I'm not sure how much that counts as a sequel given that my understanding is they went in without a fully developed plan, shot too much footage, and decided to split the movie in two).

From the footage I've seen so far, my hopes are low for Wandering Earth 2; looks visually drab and dour, and there's almost no way that warping the plot to include Wu Jing's character despite his death in the first part will end well. Plus, who knows what'll be going on with zero-Covid and lockdowns in January.

38 minutes ago, LPLC said:

When a little over 3 weeks before the world release we still have no news, we're not going to lie to ourselves we all know that unfortunately A2 will never be released in China

12.15 in China

will have offical report before 11.22

Go to watch Avatar 2 Os thread

• Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, Bruce said:

12.15 in China

will have offical report before 11.22

Go to watch Avatar 2 Os thread

As ever— and especially this year— with China, absolutely nothing's official until it's official.

But if those rumors are true I'm going to be so happy/might consider ordering myself some blue facepaint via Taobao so I can do a midnight screening in full Pandoran spirit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, porginchina said:

As ever— and especially this year— with China, absolutely nothing's official until it's official.

But if those rumors are true I'm going to be so happy/might consider ordering myself some blue facepaint via Taobao so I can do a midnight screening in full Pandoran spirit.

I have friend who actually working in the censorship department

I am not just hearing the internet hype

Few month ago is also me first post the thread that Minions 2 will return,you think why I know that before the offical report?

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1