Fullbuster

Jurassic Park 3D OS Thread

It's not a true $1B gross. All these years later with 3D doesn't qualify (in my eyes) as a $1B film.Films like Avatar, Alice, Titanic, Batman - all of these are true $1B films as they made the Bil in their original runs.

In my opinion Phantom Menace or Jurassic Park are more deserving of 1 billion than Alice, TF3, Hobbit or POTC4. The two first already did over 900 million 20 and 14 years ago, without today prices or 3D. Everything is relative. Today, those movies would have done over 1.5 billion. And if movies get people go to see it 20 years later, that is a merit of the movie. The movie has demand. For me, it is valid. In that way, Star Wars real number in US would be barely 300, not 460 million, because of re-releases ;)

• Like 3

In my opinion Phantom Menace or Jurassic Park are more deserving of 1 billion than Alice, TF3, Hobbit or POTC4. The two first already did over 900 million 20 and 14 years ago, without today prices or 3D. Everything is relative. Today, those movies would have done over 1.5 billion. And if movies get people go to see it 20 years later, that is a merit of the movie. The movie has demand. For me, it is valid. In that way, Star Wars real number in US would be barely 300, not 460 million, because of re-releases ;)

Only JP, not TPM!

So if we re-released every film that made over, lets say $800m, and people went and they crossed $1B they'd all be as deserving?
  • Like 1

It's not a true $1B gross. All these years later with 3D doesn't qualify (in my eyes) as a $1B film.Films like Avatar, Alice, Titanic, Batman - all of these are true $1B films as they made the Bil in their original runs.

..aaaaaaand they made $1,000,000,000 because of higher ticket prices and in some cases 3D.

Seriously, did you have a lobotomy before posting that?

Only JP, not TPM!

The numbers are quite easy: Phantom Menace did 920 million in 1999, with 431 in US. Adjusting for inflation in USA, 692 million (I do not consider 3D re-release). Just adjusting in USA, the WW number would be 1.180 billion. Considering that OS number was a bit higher than DOM and the same inflation than USA, the WW number would be today over 1.4 billion (and without 3D or expanding markets).

Jurassic Park adjusts to 703 million in USA without re-release, nearly the same number than TPM. Both movies are very close and both deserve MUCH more than many others to be considered global breakouts. To reach a billion is an inflation matter, but it is a fact that Jurassic Park and Phantom Menace were quite bigger than today 1-1.1 billion movies.

So if we re-released every film that made over, lets say $800m, and people went and they crossed $1B they'd all be as deserving?

The demand is what rules. Maybe in 30 years many children who were not born in 1994 would like to see again Lion King at theaters and if it get re-released it can manage another 200 million WW like it did last year. Star Wars managed another 138 million in 1997 (245 adjusted) and nobody denies that its total gross is 460 million. Another movies are not able to mobilize so many people. A movie gross can never be closed with the initial run. Maybe we are not used to re-releases, but I see them as valid as an initial release.

And just a question: what do you think is better, 975 million of Harry Potter in 2001 or 1.024 of Alice in Wonderland in 2010? Alice had the best exchange rates ever and Harry Potter the worst. Everything is relative. WW numbers are a bit tricky.

You say movies over 800: Independence Day, Fellowship of the Ring, Spider-man and Harry Potter 2 were bigger than every movie WW, excepting top 4 (Avatar, Titanic, Avengers and DH2). And I have doubts with DH2...

Edited by peludo

Bear in mind that movies were re-released all the time in the pre-home video era. Gone with the Wind was reissued in 1947, 1954, 1961, 1967, 1971, and 1974, with some less frequent re-releases in the home video era. The Wizard of Oz was reissued in 1949, 1955, 1970, and 1971, and again had some occasional re-releases after video came along. The Sound of Music was reissued in 1973 and 1978. The Godfather was reissued in 1973, less than a year after the original release. And it was uncontroversial to count all the releases together for record purposes--that's how GWTW was able to keep the title of "highest grosser of all time" until The Sound of Music, even though some other films beat GWTW's initial release by a wide margin (Ben Hur made well over twice as much on its initial release as GWTW did on its). "Highest-grossing initial release" was an important record too, but it wasn't the end-all-be-all.

Jurassic Park 3D reached $53.8 million from China, where it has grossed the lion's share of its $71.1 million overseas total. It is Universal's second biggest film in the market, only trailing this summer's Fast & Furious 6.Jurassic Park 3D has grossed $116.5 million worldwide. The film will open in its last two territories, Argentina and Portugal, on October 3.