Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

I remember when I first met with him (Del Toro) that he liked the idea of Newt becoming a bit of a villain in the second film. But, I think over the course of making the film, and the way the character resonated with the audience, I don’t think he would want to turn him into a villain now, but I really have no idea....Guillermo is one of these guys that his mind is so active that he might have an idea about something and then it’s a completely different idea five minutes later.“I’m hopeful that we get to drive a big punching robot. I think traditionally in those comics, sometimes the science guys put together a cheap, dorky version of one of the robots so maybe we’ll get to do something like that.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107367

No, we are writing the sequel. Travis Beacham and I are writing, so that is active. The decision to green light or not, that’s definitely above my pay rate.

It does. To me, what was beautiful and flattering was how people saw the movie not once or twice but three, four times or more. People that love it, love it with great passion. So I would love to continue telling stories about that world.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/15/guillermo-del-toro-on-the-pacific-rim-blu-ray-frankenstein-and-his-cabinet-of-curiosities?page=2

Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

Pacific Rim was missing that human element that TF had, Sam with his car and his parents, even though they were irritating. PAC RIM 2 needs a human element with a tragic story also add a Bullock, Neeson, Tatum, Bale, Close or Saldana.

Pacific Rim was missing that human element that TF had, Sam with his car and his parents, even though they were irritating. PAC RIM 2 needs a human element with a tragic story also add a Bullock, Neeson, Tatum, Bale, Close or Saldana.

No. Just no. That's wrong on so many levels. 

While I agree that a human element can help films like this, TF's is the worst possible way to do it. And honestly, I thought Pacific Rim did their human elements (which you're insane to say didn't exist) very well.

Okay, that's a partial lie. I don't think TF's entire human element was bad. Just the bits with Sam and his family. Because they were entirely useless to the plot (aside from the macguffin about his grandfather's glasses), didn't cause any change in character for the Transformers and, most shamefully of all, were ungodly annoying. They added absolutely nothing positive to the plot and we didn't sympathise with them because they were so annoying. Hence they fail. The human elements I thought were done well, were the ones with the military, aka Lennox's team. Lennox was sympathetic, had a motivation in the form of his family and I genuinely wanted to see if his team would make it out. Sure he was kind of bland, but he wasn't annoying. Heck, imagine how much better the film would be if we got rid of Sam and centred around him instead.

Now, I find it odd that you consider Pacific Rim to be lacking a human element as, unlike Transformers (or unlike how Transformers should be), the film is all about the humans. We get plenty of interesting character interactions, the brother-sister/mentor relationship between Mako and Raleigh, Stacker's attempts to distance from Mako before he dies, the subtle jealousy Chuck shows towards Raleigh for being so friendly with his father, Stacker and Raleigh's relationship both as commander/pilot and as friends, etc, instead of the bland, cliche 'Sam and Mikaela like each other romantically' human element TF brings. Pacific Rim is packed with interesting, original human elements which is part of the reason I love it so much. Even during the battle scenes, we get lots of shots of the humans in the cockpit reminding us that it's them piloting the Jaegers and thus them fighting the Kaiju. So to say that it's missing a 'human element' is downright wrong.

• Like 1

I meant during the battles. Even if you have the pilots in the Jaegers doesn't give it human quality. The TF's were pilotless but there was a reason for the battles and you felt that also through Sam, Banes, Lennox and the rest. Yes PAC RIM had a human element but TF's human element was more there.

• Like 3

Pacific Rim had way interesting human characters than the Transformers movie ever did.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

I meant during the battles. Even if you have the pilots in the Jaegers doesn't give it human quality. The TF's were pilotless but there was a reason for the battles and you felt that also through Sam, Banes, Lennox and the rest. Yes PAC RIM had a human element but TF's human element was more there.

CONGRATS ON YOUR 30,000TH POST

• Like 2

not happening. Movie will barely make any profit. 

It's not just Box Office that's important in deciding whether this sequel will happening. If the merchandise sells well enough, a sequel will probably happen. Especially since Pacific Rim lends itself very well to merchandising.

Did you even read this before you posted it? The fact that Pacific Rim constantly cut to the humans in the cockpit reminded us that it was really them fighting the Kaiju, not the Jaegers. They took damage, they made the decisions, they were the ones fighting. In Transformers, the humans just ran around trying not to get squashed and generally being an irritating distraction, aside from that rare moment when the military attacked the Decepticons. If you think that somehow gives it a 'human element', then you still get that in Pacific Rim, especially in Mako's flashback!

Also, are you seriously suggesting there was 'no reason' for the battles in Pacific Rim? Seriously? Also, how do you 'feel' the reason for TF's battles through Sam, Banes, etc?

It's not just Box Office that's important in deciding whether this sequel will happening. If the merchandise sells well enough, a sequel will probably happen. Especially since Pacific Rim lends itself very well to merchandising.

Did you even read this before you posted it? The fact that Pacific Rim constantly cut to the humans in the cockpit reminded us that it was really them fighting the Kaiju, not the Jaegers. They took damage, they made the decisions, they were the ones fighting. In Transformers, the humans just ran around trying not to get squashed and generally being an irritating distraction, aside from that rare moment when the military attacked the Decepticons. If you think that somehow gives it a 'human element', then you still get that in Pacific Rim, especially in Mako's flashback!

Also, are you seriously suggesting there was 'no reason' for the battles in Pacific Rim? Seriously? Also, how do you 'feel' the reason for TF's battles through Sam, Banes, etc?

I am done arguing here.

It's not just Box Office that's important in deciding whether this sequel will happening. If the merchandise sells well enough, a sequel will probably happen. Especially since Pacific Rim lends itself very well to merchandising.Did you even read this before you posted it? The fact that Pacific Rim constantly cut to the humans in the cockpit reminded us that it was really them fighting the Kaiju, not the Jaegers. They took damage, they made the decisions, they were the ones fighting. In Transformers, the humans just ran around trying not to get squashed and generally being an irritating distraction, aside from that rare moment when the military attacked the Decepticons. If you think that somehow gives it a 'human element', then you still get that in Pacific Rim, especially in Mako's flashback!Also, are you seriously suggesting there was 'no reason' for the battles in Pacific Rim? Seriously? Also, how do you 'feel' the reason for TF's battles through Sam, Banes, etc?

There is no proof that PR merchandising is flying off the shelves. Especially not to the point where they will Make a whole new movie because of it
  • Like 1

There is no proof that PR merchandising is flying off the shelves. Especially not to the point where they will Make a whole new movie because of it

I never said there was. I'm just pointing out that Pacific Rim lends itself very well to merchandising and that may play an important factor as to whether it gets a sequel or not.