Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

This sequel was a stretch of believability in the first place.

One one hand I applaud them for attempting it and going this far with it. I found it rather MEH as a film. What I hoped for based on a PR2 happening would be that studios look at breakeven, bigger budget, films as an opportunity to grow with caution but that there is an audience for it---just try a little harder. Something like Jack Reachers sequel is in this camp. Tron 3 SHOULD be in this camp(curse you Disney).

On the other hand if this not happening frees up DelTorro for Hellboy 3, then good. That's a franchise waiting for it's trilogy closer!!

GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilari

• Like 1

Ironically, Pacific Rim is on right now. Watching the murky underwater battle and obligatory sacrificial Black man ploy, I am reminded of all of the movie's flaws. It's simply lackluster and never engages the viewer. Maybe the script for the sequel would have solved some of the problems, but with the same cast and director I doubt that it would have worked much better. It's a pity because PR should have been much more fun than it was.

THIS. The film was simply not as much fun as it should have been.

It;s like Del Toro could not make up his mind if he wanted to do a fun Giant Robot Vs Monster mash up romb,or a darker, more serious, film a La Pan's Labyrinth,tried to do both, and failed at both.

The total lack of any interest in the charecters caused me to think "The guy who made Pan's Labyrinth made this?".

• Like 1

Pacific Rim: dark? serious? I think I saw a different movie than you guys.

I should have said that Del Toro tried to make it a charecter driven film where the charecters were not that interesting. And the failed charecters killed the fun factor in the film along with some other mistakes (every freaking fight in the dark?} It just was not a fun film.

And, for the record, I liked most of Del Toro;s films, and consier Pan's Labrynth to be the best post LOTR fantasy film made to date.

• Like 3

I should have said that Del Toro tried to make it a charecter driven film where the charecters were not that interesting. And the failed charecters killed the fun factor in the film along with some other mistakes (every freaking fight in the dark?} It just was not a fun film.

And, for the record, I liked most of Del Toro;s films, and consier Pan's Labrynth to be the best post LOTR fantasy film made to date.

Well, different strokes and all that. I thought it was a ton of fun, and what you list as "mistakes" were complete non-issues for me.

It's cool, I know a bunch of people didn't really care for it.

Pacific Rim is a fluffy film. There's a lot of things that the film tries to achieve and fails (The subplot with Idris Elba's bleeding nose sickness :lol: )...

Erm, what was the issue with that? It explained that he was suffering from radiation sickness and was terminal. He knew he was gonna die sooner rather than later, so he chose to go out with a bang.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

Erm, what was the issue with that? It explained that he was suffering from radiation sickness and was terminal. He knew he was gonna die sooner rather than later, so he chose to go out with a bang.

The issue was that they made it so painfully obvious thathe was sick early in the movie and tthen they waited forever to actually explain it to us, plus I gave so little fucks about his character that the time they spent on it was kind of annoying

Guillermo Del Toro is still working on Pacific Rim 2

But at least one person thinks the Pacific Rim sequel is still happening. “We are still turning in a screenplay and a budget in three weeks,” writer-director Guillermo Del Toro tells EW. “As far as I’m concerned, it’s not gone. We’re still on it.”
Del Toro says the film’s delay is only temporary. “It moved further,” he says. “I may do another movie in the middle.”
  • Like 1

“It moved further,” he says. “I may do another movie in the middle.”

It moved so much further that Del Toro can prep, shoot, finish and most likely release another movie in the interim? That is one hell of a move. Del Toro's joke recognizes the fact that the movies just aren't making enough money

Del Toro is no stranger to long-delayed passion-project blockbusters. “I can tell you this, if I was a billionaire, I would definitely do Hellboy 3Pacific Rim 2, and At the Mountains of Madness.” He laughs. “And I would quickly become a millionaire.”

Edited by grim22
  • Like 5

“It moved further,” he says. “I may do another movie in the middle.”

It moved so much further that Del Toro can prep, shoot, finish and most likely release another movie in the interim? That is one hell of a move.

Shit, all those movies he's prepped and not made, he can pull one out of a hat and be good to start in a month.

• Like 1