Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:58 PM, CJohn said:

Somehow not the worst use of a music in a trailer released this weekend. Still pretty fucking bad tho.

Under 50M DOM is my prediction for now.

It's aimed at the international audience, main reason PR got a sequel was it did very well in the China market.

But would not be surprised if it underperformed internationally as well.

10 hours ago, kowhite said:

I think...

Not as much as you do.  But it won't make money.  But who cares, I ain't paying for it.

Eh, it might do 80m. But it would still be losing lots of money with that, it will do better in China, probably not enough to save it though.

On 10/8/2017 at 1:58 PM, CJohn said:

Somehow not the worst use of a music in a trailer released this weekend. Still pretty fucking bad tho.

Under 50M DOM is my prediction for now.

Hmm.. yeah. I loved the first movie, thought the trailer looked really bad. I don't know why I saw it. I think I was bored. I ended up seeing it in theaters and loved it. It has become a guilty pleasure, a definite favorite of mine. But this second trailer, meh, I dunno. Yeah, I will see it. Studios don't have to cater to me. I see just about everything. But the music was pretty bad. The movie looked really cheesy. I hope it's good, I mean there is potential there. It just didn't look like a movie that is going to do well. Under $50M? Hahaha ok I mean... not to be mean, but yeah, $33M OW honestly. Way under $50M.

6 hours ago, antovolk said:

It looks fun but it's a real shame that it seems to have lost a bit of its charming atmosphere for more of a Transformers kind of look. Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch it and probably have fun with it but I don't think it will feel quite the same as the first one.

And yeah, come on guys, this has domestic flop written all over it. I think it will do fine enough OS so as to not be a financial bomb but not much better than that.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

I am hopeful this will be a decent flick. Has a Transpower Rangeformers vibe but that's fine. Geostorm's dom was half of China. This should something similar I think. 60-70m dom, 120m China would not surprise me.

Edited by a2knet

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

It looks fun but it's a real shame that it seems to have lost a bit of its charming atmosphere for more of a Transformers kind of look. Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch it and probably have fun with it but I don't think it will feel quite the same as the first one.

And yeah, come on guys, this has domestic flop written all over it. I think it will do fine enough OS so as to not be a financial bomb but not much better than that.

This trailer was the only one which somehow looked worse on an IMAX screen compared to a laptop monitor among all the trailers I got with Justice League. Even Alpha looked about a million times better in IMAX.

10 hours ago, antovolk said:

They have an Izabella from TF5 equivalent in this movie :thinking: 

Jurassic World, and the Godzilla/Kong universe, have made monsters cool again. So while Pacific Rim's mediocre performance back in 2012 would suggest no sequel, the time may just be right. With, hopefully, a cheaper budget.

I think it made 100M domestically in 2012? I still don't see a huge increase in that...130-140...but overseas has grown exponentially since 2012 .  

Boyega, could help. Didn't help much in the low budget films he's been in since TFA :)...but he's in a sci-fi setting here.

411 WW for the original? I could see 500-550 WW. It won't set the WW box office on fire, but it will make a decent profit in theaters, before heading to the home market.

Edited by OdinSon2k14