34 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I think that's missing the point, though... and I don't think it's true. The humor is TL is largely built around the incongruity that is Arnold: the movie constantly winks at the fact that this massive mountain of a man is accepted as a humble, insignificant little salesman drone; it winks at the fact that he's got this thick Austrian accent and yet he's given a generic Middle American background; that while he's flat and not "deep" as an actor he's incredibly charismatic, etc. There's plenty of verbal jokes that another actor could nail, yes -- but what makes TL so damn isn't that, but all these visual little riffs and goofs on Arnold The Movie Star. It's more subtle than the thuddingly obvious LAST ACTION HERO but very much in the same vein.

So yes, if you hired a "better actor" like a Ben Affleck or Matt Damon or Brad Pitt or Will Smith, they might be more "accurate" to how the character is described on the surface, and they might have a little extra dramatic edge, but they'd lose that extra special Schwarzenegger sauce... and that's what makes the movie memorable. Otherwise it's just another Bond movie.

I don't see it the same way do.

The humor never came from the fact that Schwarzenegger was too unaverage to pass for the typical american man, in fact I didn't think about that until you mentioned it.

The humor that worked came from basically everything else in the movie. Sure, some of his jokes worked, but he missed more than hit for me.

When I say better actor, I don't mean deep. They should have cast an actor who can make more than one or two expressions, who's voice is not so inexpressive that he's always sound the same and like you said, who can give an extra dramatic edge (and that's essential in a movie so focused on the relationship with his wife and where the stakes are ultimately saving your family).

I kept thinking in Tom Cruise while I was watching it.

Edited by Goffe

It's not just humor. It's Arnold's unique on-screen chrisma. Remember TL is not a serious drama. It's a blockbuster that doesn't take itself too serious and only tries to entertainment you. And for blockbusters like that, a lot of times an actor with unique on-screen chrisma provides much more entertainment than what accurate acting could do. This is actually how Arnold because the Arnold. He's never been good at giving his character an accurate dramatic portrait throughout his career, but his unique on-screen chrisma gave those characters something that other actors couldn't offter. Cameron, as a long-time buddy of his, knows that perfectly well and knows how to use that perfectly well.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

Why is no one mentioning Bill Paxton? Dude is hilarious in this.

Harry: What about their husbands?

Simon: Dickless! I mean, let's face it, if they took care of business, I'd be out of business!

Every line of Simon is hilarious. "No, no, as soon as I turn, you're gonna shoot me!"

And of cause the most hilarious scene came from this no-name dude "Battery Aziz!"

Edited by vc2002

I think that's missing the point, though... and I don't think it's true. The humor is TL is largely built around the incongruity that is Arnold: the movie constantly winks at the fact that this massive mountain of a man is accepted as a humble, insignificant little salesman drone; it winks at the fact that he's got this thick Austrian accent and yet he's given a generic Middle American background; that while he's flat and not "deep" as an actor he's incredibly charismatic, etc. There's plenty of verbal jokes that another actor could nail, yes -- but what makes TL so damn isn't that, but all these visual little riffs and goofs on Arnold The Movie Star. It's more subtle than the thuddingly obvious LAST ACTION HERO but very much in the same vein.

So yes, if you hired a "better actor" like a Ben Affleck or Matt Damon or Brad Pitt or Will Smith, they might be more "accurate" to how the character is described on the surface, and they might have a little extra dramatic edge, but they'd lose that extra special Schwarzenegger sauce... and that's what makes the movie memorable. Otherwise it's just another Bond movie.

Damn, I can't even begin to imagine how dull TRUE LIES would have been with Matt Damon. Sequences such as the horse scene would be painfully awkward with another actor.

Also, LAST ACTION HERO is ten times better than this  :ph34r:

It's not just humor. It's Arnold's unique on-screen chrisma. Remember TL is not a serious drama. It's a blockbuster that doesn't take itself too serious and only tries to entertainment you. And for blockbusters like that, a lot of times an actor with unique on-screen chrisma provides much more entertainment than what accurate acting could do. This is actually how Arnold because the Arnold. He's never been good at giving his character an accurate dramatic portrait throughout his career, but his unique on-screen chrisma gave those characters something that other actors couldn't offter. Cameron, as a long-time buddy of his, knows that perfectly well and knows how to use that perfectly well.

First, there aren't just two kinds of movies, the ones that doesn't take themselves seriously and serious dramas, there is a lot in between. I never said or implied that had to be a "serious drama" to work. Second, I don't feel that was what Cameron was going for, the movie isn't about Arnold being a spy, it is about him and his wife, it's about human relationship wrapped in a shiny humorous package. If there was two big long climaxes involving the guy trying to save his family, then I was supposed to care, and I just didn't because of the one note actor playing Harry.