#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

I will say this about DH2. I saw that at midnight. I think I only saw HP5 at midnight prior to DH2. For Twilight, no one is changing their viewing habits.

No one needs to change their habits, they know the movie is there and they are all hyped about it and that my friend is enough to get it past 290m.

It's shows from Thursday 10pm on. Which means it had basically an extra showing over most films that had strictly midnights before. You can't compare and say this is "3rd best midnights" when that just simply isn't true. Even where I was they had 10pm and 12am showings, and I live in the boonies.

You are right, I am not saying it is. I was agreen with you.

BOM wants to separate out the Thursday number, but Summit is refusing.

Unfortunately, Lionsgate/Summit have declined to break out the grosses from the 10 p.m. Thursday shows, which should not be counted towards the opening weekend figure (the weekend is Friday to Sunday, not Thursday night to Sunday). Clearly, though, opening at 10 p.m. on Thursday makes it easier for younger audience members to get to theaters, so the $30.4 million figure is probably going to make up a larger portion of opening day than past midnight-only hauls.

Edited by Derpity
  • Like 1

Every hater in this thread can take the highway, because this is amazing number after having no 3D and been the 2nd part of a movie.

HP again for you: even without 3D and DH2 being the 2nd part, grossed like 35m, up 45% from DH1.

Unfortunately, Lionsgate/Summit have declined to break out the grosses from the 10 p.m. Thursday shows, which should not be counted towards the opening weekend figure (the weekend is Friday to Sunday, not Thursday night to Sunday). Clearly, though, opening at 10 p.m. on Thursday makes it easier for younger audience members to get to theaters, so the $30.4 million figure is probably going to make up a larger portion of opening day than past midnight-only hauls.

Well, one thing Ray is doing right is sticking to what Brandon established here. I wonder how BOM is going to handle this.
  • Like 1

Interestingly enough, this might actually be a historic day in BO history. If Summit prevails, then that means more movies will open at 10PM and have those count as OD grosses.

But if BOM takes a stand now and puts the entire 30m on Thursday, nobody will ever try to cheat like this again :)If you're going to open on Thursday for more money, great, more power to you....but you can't count Thursday grosses as Friday numbers.
  • Like 2

TWILIGHT can never, ever win with its detractors. If he film had made, say 50 million midnights, the fanboys would be like "LOL! The most frontloaded first day ever!; this just proves that the fangirls are camping out in front of the theatres and they want to be FIRST o see it" and if it had made 15 million, they would say "LOL! I Knew it! Even fans are sickk of it! Flop!!" As it is, they will downplay the actual figure and say "that''s too low for the level of hype. That''s underwhelmingblahblahblah"

i wish I could make this my signature.

Of course BOM wants to do that. Like I said eariler, this isn't a new controversy. WB wanted "Reloaded" gross from previews to be counted. All the headlines were saying how "Reloaded broke the Thursday Record with 42 Million" some 3 years before "Sith" 50 Million but BOM separated the grosses. They need to be consistent This isn't even about taking anything away from BD2 but the fact is if "Reloaded" gross had to be separated then so should this. Also again I agree with Summit doing the 10:00pm previews. This shows me the shooting has had an effect, they really didn't want teens out so late. At the same time it's not fair to "Reloaded" if they count them both together.

The 10 p.m. Thursday thing is ridiculous.First of all, a 24-hr day is from 12 a.m. to the following 12 a.m. Therefore, counting 10 p.m. Thursday shows isn't just fudging, it's downright lying. I also don't buy the whole "the same people would have seen it at midnight" argument. In reality, its audience is generally 12-18 and have school........so I have no doubt more people are able to go at 10 p.m. as opposed to if they only had midnight showings.It just seems like Summit is trying to make the number appear better than it actually is to me. What a bunch of hack-jobs, IMO. B)

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 3

It's shows from Thursday 10pm on. Which means it had basically an extra showing over most films that had strictly midnights before. You can't compare and say this is "3rd best midnights" when that just simply isn't true. Even where I was they had 10pm and 12am showings, and I live in the boonies.

It didn't have the same amount of midnight showings PLUS THE ADDITIONAL 10pms. It worked out to about the same.And you lving in the boonies has nothing to do with the rest of North America. Edited by Breaking Dawn baumer

Of course BOM wants to do that. Like I said eariler, this isn't a new controversy. WB wanted "Reloaded" gross from previews to be counted. All the headlines were saying how "Reloaded broke the Thursday Record with 42 Million" some 3 years before "Sith" 50 Million but BOM separated the grosses. They need to be consistent This isn't even about taking anything away from BD2 but the fact is if "Reloaded" gross had to be separated then so should this. Also again I agree with Summit doing the 10:00pm previews. This shows me the shooting has had an effect, they really didn't want teens out so late. At the same time it's not fair to "Reloaded" if they count them both together.

Reloaded opened in 2003. BO was a very different world back then.
  • Like 1