The Creator

Creator's Corner Year 5

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will your film be number one on my list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Numbers' will, of course!

Ooook, now I'm going to start reviewing them.

In reverse order.

And since no one requested for SilverShark, I will go first with:

SPELLFORCE - SHADOW OF THE PHOENIX

A decent, if forgettable, conclusion to the "SpellForce" trilogy, "Phoenix" is a somewhat original, but still generic, fantasy adventure with stunning visuals and great set pieces, not to mention other great technical aspects like superb cinematography and stunning costumes. Plot-wise, it is decent but lacks a bit, and I couldn't really get into the film all that much as there's no good entry points for anyone who's never seen the other ones. It requires some knowledge of those movies, and my memory on them is hazy after two years. Still, an enjoyable fantasy that should be one of the year's most loved blockbusters.

Up next

PSYCHONAUTS

A remarkably entertaining and well-thought-out animated picture, "Psychonauts" is a breath of fresh air. It's a very well-rounded and entertaining little flick, and on top of that, it has both a humorous and surprisingly heartfelt story. The characters are lovable, the plot lines are creative, and the concept is very unique and well exploited. A great movie all around, and perhaps one of the year's best animated films. It's definitely one of the most unique ones, and one of the most entertaining to boot.

And last in this post

THE ECCENTRIC MINDS OF BELMOND LANE

Ah, how eccentric. One may assume "Eccentric Minds" is right up my Belmond Lane. After all, everyone here knows how much I love zany indie films. So you may be suspecting that "Eccentric Minds" is one of my favorite films of the year. Well, it just might be. It is a very good film, although at times I was sadly withdrawn a bit from the movie. I didn't feel as sucked into it as I was expecting myself to feel. That made it a little less enjoyable than I was anticipating. However, it is a very original film, with great acting and good stortytelling from the masterful Wes Anderson. One of the year's better pictures so far.

• Like 1

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs Bigfoot

Well, I can only imagine how this movie must have been since there was no plot available. I doubt my review would have made any difference. People will see what they wanna see, and I can't change that. I'm sure it's loads of absurdity, though.

The Shark Mutiny

Touted as the most acclaimed film of the year, "The Shark Mutiny" continues the legacy of "U.S.S. Seawolf" as the next Oscar powerhouse of Numerator Studios, destined to be one of the most well-remembered films of the year. But is it all it's cracked up to be? Well, in some ways yes, in other ways no. It is by no doubt an excellent movie, and very well-crafted. The acting is superb, the storytelling deft and well handled, and the directing fabulous. Technical aspects of the film are also well managed and the increased frequency of the action scenes adds a heightened sense of entertainment and intrigue, something that wasn't as apparent in its predecessor. But overall, I think it falls short of "Seawolf's" status; it felt at times like a rehash of that film, although I saw that it was going in different directions, but by the end of it, I still felt it hadn't resolved all the issues that one would have expected resolved since "Seawolf". Somewhere along the way, I couldn't help but find my mind wandering, so at times it was hard to keep my concentration on the film; that is to say, it may have dragged a bit in some of the sketchier areas of the film. It didn't hold my attention as thoroughly as "Seawolf" had, and perhaps that has to do with me expecting much more from it. However, that isn't to say that I adored "Seawolf" either, because I recall placing it 5th on my list...in a very weak year to begin with. But "Shark Mutiny" is still a very great film and should make my Top 10 regardless, but is it the year's best film? Well, probably not.

All of riczhang's movies get cut off after the first paragraph. If someone could PM me the full thing for each of his movies, that would be great. But for now I gotta skip Worlds Apart and 39 Clues.

Vast Dark: Fight Fire with Fire

Eh. That was my initial impression. The film tries something a bit new from the rest of the series, but honestly it felt a bit bland to me, a bit uninspired. I wasn't intrigued with this entry, and the series is becoming quite stale. The attempt of a new approach tried to be refreshing but ultimately didn't pay off so much. The film lacked many thrills, which was surprising and also disappointing, and for a powerful cast, it lacked proper acting skills. A pretty droll experience, and certainly not my cup of tea.

Silent Invasion

These "found footage" films are starting to irk me. We seem to get one ever few months now. Before you know it, there will be one released every week. Well "Silent Invasion" made no effort to be any different from the rest of those found footage flicks. It was a limp-dick kind of flick, something totally contrived and pointless, and a waste of my time, money, and memory-space. Fortunately, I can evict it from the latter, because it's not very memorable and left no impression other than the bitter taste of vinegary shit in my mouth. A very droll experience, and definitely not my cup of tea.

Chris Smith and Adventures

Somehow I forgot the complete title of the movie. It was pretty long, and I think there could have been a better title selection than featuring the main character's name in the title, simply because that seems overdone and a bit uninspired. That siad, the movie was at least entertaining and kept me awake and focused the whole time. It was a bit far-fetched, and definitely not something I'd waste time seeing again, but it is still a fun-for-the-family flick, and I have no qualms with that. But I don't expect much from it in the way of reception, and nor would I rate it highly or bother watching it again. It's kinda just a "there" movie.

• Like 1

Silent Invasion

These "found footage" films are starting to irk me. We seem to get one ever few months now. Before you know it, there will be one released every week. Well "Silent Invasion" made no effort to be any different from the rest of those found footage flicks. It was a limp-dick kind of flick, something totally contrived and pointless, and a waste of my time, money, and memory-space. Fortunately, I can evict it from the latter, because it's not very memorable and left no impression other than the bitter taste of vinegary shit in my mouth. A very droll experience, and definitely not my cup of tea.

Epic review :rofl: I have to put in bold the stuff that made me laugh, because I agree 100%, and I am the writer of the movie :lol: Edited by CJohn

Someone went CJohn-trigger happy, cause here's a slew more of his films, and some other ones:

The Fall

"The Fall" had potential. Had. I say that because in the end, it didn't live up to the potential that it had. It takes a kind of overused idea, but does nothing out of the ordinary with it. If it had tried making more relevance and emotional poignasism out of the material presented, "The Fall" could have been a great film. Instead, it settles for mediocrity. It's like a filet mignon, without the mignon...more like a filet-o-fish sandwich from Long John Silver's. My major quirk with the movie is the over-insistence on depressive themes; it seems like it just keeps falling, and falling, and falling into a chasm of empty, emotionless, and utterly irrevocable tragedy. But then again, considering it is called "The Fall", I should have expected a constant falling. Silly me to expect some uprising action. Seriously, though, the film would have benefitted if the main character, who we see going through constant hell, had maybe had some rejuvenating quality or experience. That may have made it a better film. It's not a bad film, but it's a forgettable and lazy one.

Ratchet and Clank

Blah, blah, blah. It's not a bad film, it's just...oh, how do I say this...I guess, it's just not my type of film. I'm not into these movies, so it's a pain to sit through them. It has nothing to do with the quality of the movie, but with my personal tastes. That isn't to say this is a quality movie, cause it's not really, but it's not bad either; it's just...well, it's just it. It's exactly what you would expect from it, and nothing more. So in the end, I'm neither disappointed nor exhilerated. It's kinda like having sex with a blow-up doll: you get the moment of excitation, but there's no feeling of intimacy at the end, and if you are disappointed, it doesn't really matter cause chances are, if you're fucking a blow-up doll, you're just going to end up fucking it again since you obviously don't have anything real in your life, or enough money to afford a hooker. And that sums up "Ratchet and Clank." Somewhat.

Beast

Sigh...didn't I just express my thoughts on found footage. This movie isn't worth the time to write a review.

Shiverin' Gulch

Many have said this may be the best animated film of the year. I disagree. It is the best animated film of the year. ...just kidding, I don't really know cause I still have many more to watch. But it is a damn good film, and unique for an animated film. Its western theme is intriguing, and the characters are well-developed and believavble for an animated movie. A fun experience, and one that has some depth to it. A nice treat to find in an animated movie. I enjoyed it.

Espionage Project

But not this one. "Espionage Project" is just a bit too far-fetched. The plot is so contrived it felt like the writers must've been under tremendous stress when writing it, because obviously they couldn't think of anything logical or coherent. It just tries to be jolly good fun, but it's really not. It's a bland movie, with bland storytelling and acting, and an all-around bland plot. It's meant to be entertaining, but I couldn't get over the idiocy of the movie and the complete drollness of it.

• Like 3

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs Bigfoot

Well, I can only imagine how this movie must have been since there was no plot available. I doubt my review would have made any difference. People will see what they wanna see, and I can't change that. I'm sure it's loads of absurdity, though.

I can PM you the actual plot... it shows up fine for me.

The plot is so contrived it felt like the writers must've been under tremendous stress when writing it, because obviously they couldn't think of anything logical or coherent.

It's funny, since I was under a lot of stress when I wrote it. :P