Olive

Rank all the Spider-man films

It's beyond my understanding how anyone could think TASM was worse than SM3. I mean if I had to pick a film just for its sincerity, it would be TASM over SM3, let alone the narrative problems SM3 has or the obvious soap opera quality love "triangle"(rectangle?). I guess you could fault TASM for trying too hard or not trying hard enough, but at least they tried. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I have a hard time understanding this. If it's because it had the origin again, that opinion is based on personal preference, or possibly taking offense, but it has nothing to do with quality or you could say the same for any remake.

• Like 8

I mean if I had to pick a film just for its sincerity, it would be TASM over SM3, let alone the narrative problems SM3 has or the obvious soap opera quality love "triangle"(rectangle?).

Are you serious? The one thing the Raimi films have over ASM is "sincerity". SM3 has tremendous problems, but it's never boring. I'd watch SM3 again over ASM just for the "Dark Peter" sequence, which has some LIFE to it. There was passion behind it. Also, we're gonna pretend ASM doesn't have narrative problems? Jeez. Am I being too hard on ASM because it retells the origin? I'm not gonna say that's not a part of it. We just saw the exact same story ten years ago in a hugely popular movie, and you choose to spend 2 hours and 15 minutes telling it at all over again in a less compelling fashion? I think it's a project that was flawed from the conceptual stage.
  • Like 4

Are you serious? The one thing the Raimi films have over ASM is "sincerity". SM3 has tremendous problems, but it's never boring. I'd watch SM3 again over ASM just for the "Dark Peter" sequence, which has some LIFE to it. There was passion behind it. Also, we're gonna pretend ASM doesn't have narrative problems? Jeez.Am I being too hard on ASM because it retells the origin? I'm not gonna say that's not a part of it. We just saw the exact same story ten years ago in a hugely popular movie, and you choose to spend 2 hours and 15 minutes telling it at all over again in a less compelling fashion? I think it's a project that was flawed from the conceptual stage.

Passion? No, Total lack of care by the director? Yes

It's beyond my understanding how anyone could think TASM was worse than SM3. I mean if I had to pick a film just for its sincerity, it would be TASM over SM3, let alone the narrative problems SM3 has or the obvious soap opera quality love "triangle"(rectangle?). I guess you could fault TASM for trying too hard or not trying hard enough, but at least they tried. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I have a hard time understanding this. If it's because it had the origin again, that opinion is based on personal preference, or possibly taking offense, but it has nothing to do with quality or you could say the same for any remake.

Because SM3 was actually fun, whereas TASM tried too hard to be fun and quirky and failed.
  • Like 3

Because SM3 was actually fun, whereas TASM tried too hard to be fun and quirky and failed.

Well, IMO it succeeded in that aspect. While I agree that some of the Dark Peter parts are not as bad as some say, SM3 took the worst parts of the first two films then expanded that to 2.5 hours.

I think Webb was in over his head and having friction with the studio. I'm a bit surprised he's back for the second film. I hope it goes more smoothly for their sakes.

I hope Webb improves as well, but I would be perfectly happy with a similar effort sans the shackles of having to retell the origin. By default, it would be better.