Olive

Rank all the Spider-man films

It's beyond my understanding how anyone could think TASM was worse than SM3. I mean if I had to pick a film just for its sincerity, it would be TASM over SM3, let alone the narrative problems SM3 has or the obvious soap opera quality love "triangle"(rectangle?). I guess you could fault TASM for trying too hard or not trying hard enough, but at least they tried. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I have a hard time understanding this. If it's because it had the origin again, that opinion is based on personal preference, or possibly taking offense, but it has nothing to do with quality or you could say the same for any remake.

Well I'd slightly rank SM3 over TASM solely because I still prefer watching a mediocre new movie to a decent retread. TASM brought nothing new to the table for the franchise. At least SM3 had some interesting ideas, even if they failed. Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

SM3 had some interesting ideas

Yeah original ones like a meteor containing a gooey creature that eventually wreaks havoc on the city?

Oh, wait that was in The Blob.

Like, let's have Spidey quit being a hero and have a goofy sequence set to music right after that.

Oh, wait that was in Spider-Man 2.

Like, let's have the villain kidnap Mary Jane then have Spider-Man save her.

Oh, wait that was in both Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2(And wasn't in TASM, Gwen was never kidnapped by the villain).

Like, let's have Sandman be Uncle Ben's killer.

Oh, wait we have an original idea! So happy at least that was original.

:P

• Like 1

#1 Spider-Man 2#2 Spider-Man#3 TASM#4 Arachnophobia (Because any movie with a spider and a man in it is a better Spider-Man movie than...)#5 Spider-Man 3I hate to jump on the "Bash SM3" bandwagon, but that movie disappointed me in so many ways from the very first time I saw it. Raimi made no efforts to hide his distaste for the Venom character. I was always so disappointed that John Jameson was established as an astronaut and a jilted lover (who could have used that personal turmoil as an excuse for reckless behavior while on a mission in space where a black, alien goo could have been overlooked or unnoticed and inadvertently brought back to earth). When I saw his character in SM2, I was wholeheartedly convinced that was the path to be taken. "Screw MoonWolf," I thought. "THAT's how we bypass the Secret Wars and get Venom to earth!!!!" But no... we get a random meteor strike - which CAN be thought of as an homage to 50s sci-fi films but instead it's more of an indication of how little Raimi thought of Venom.I don't talk about Emo-Parker going all Tony Manero on NYC streets. I don't rant about duex ex machina butlers with information they hang on to for no reason. I don't even think of getaway car drivers who actually relieve Peter of any culpability in his uncle's death and therefore should relieve him of any sense of guilt or "Great Responsibility".SM3 is my personal "Phantom Menace" of CBMs.