66 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Jaws

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A classic masterpiece and simply one of the all-time bests. I always say it's impossible to make a list of my top 10 movies of all-time (I could make a top 50), but if I was forced, Jaws would probably make the cut.

Edited by FTF

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that if you judge it purely as what it is and not any legacy it has created or anything like that.

Uh, the legacy is that it's probably the best shark movie out there, despite the shark hardly shown, and it's gotta be in the top 5 of the best horror movie of all time. I still see it and get chills when the girl is getting attacked during her nude swim, when the elderly man who got washed out to the sea was trying to beat the dock chasing to him, and then there is what happened to Quint! That is one of the most disturbing scenes ever filmed, and to me, it's even more because I really got into his discussion earlier about what happened to him and his men when their ship went down while in the Navy. It was quiet momet while he was telling his story, but still. I still love his discritption of a shark's eyes, how they are lifeless, like a doll's eyes. It's like the epitome of true terror, dealing with something that truly has no remorse!And then, the most epic of Jaws, part of it's infamous legacy, is it's theme song! And to think, Spielberg was only what, 27 years old when he was doing this masterpiece. Goodness gracious, the talent he had at such a young age! There are so many reasons why this movie is a bonefide classic!

I hate to say it, but I didn't love this movie. The beginning was great, but once the hunt begins, it becomes bland imo. I know I'm in the minority. I might give it one more try in a couple years, but for now it's just ok.B-

I think if a person is used to a lot of blood and guts films then the subtlety of this would be lost on some.It's not gonna shock and amaze you in comparison to all the films out these days. But it does follow a story and it's characters on the hunt for a killer shark that you never see. It's a real thriller for me.

I'm watching it now. :D

I watch it all of the time, and on DVD. The TV cuts too much out. Fans of the movie, don't you all just crack up when Hooper was steering the boat after getting chewed out by Quint, quoting "I can't take this abuse much longer!" LMFAO!

What's interesting to me about Jaws is that, despite kick starting the summer blockbuster, it feels very much like a film of the more edgy 70s that focused on characters and cynicism at the government. By today's standard its pace and tone make it feel practically art-house.

• Like 1

Just when I thought I couldn't love a movie any more than I do....I bought the BR last night and OH MY GOD! what a film. The job they did restoring this is nothing short of remarkable. For the first time in my life (I'm still a BR neophyte) I can understand why BR is so revered. I've seen JAWS more than 1000X, honestly, and I saw things last night I have never seen before. I could see a clock in Brody's kitchen, it read 7:45AM, that's when he got the call about the Watkins shark attack. I could see signs on the street much more clearly, the opening beach scene with the bonfire looks like it was filmed in 2012, not 1974. I could almost read the labels on Hoopers wine bottles that he brought to dinner. I have never experienced JAWS like this before and I can say I feel like this is perhaps the best $20.00 I have ever spend on a HV purchase. I love this movie already, this just elevates it to something new.

• Like 3

Did you ever read Gottliebs "Making of" book? It get's even more interesting if you consider the fact Gottlieb was a great TV sitcom writer.

I've read it many times. My copy is tattered and torn and wrinkled. It's an incredible behinds the scenes book. They don't make books like that anymore.

I've read it many times. My copy is tattered and torn and wrinkled. It's an incredible behinds the scenes book. They don't make books like that anymore.

Try Hitchcock's Notebooks by Dan Auiler. There's nothing better if you want to look into a great directors brain.

Try Hitchcock's Notebooks by Dan Auiler. There's nothing better if you want to look into a great directors brain.

I will. Thank you. I love behind the scenes stuff.