Shawn Robbins

A New Way to Report Box Office Numbers...

Nikki/Numbers Reporting  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What would you think about an official "Nikki Thread", where each week's updates from Nikki Finke (Deadline.com) will all go into one single archived topic?

• For
    • Against
    • Neutral
  2. 2. What would you think about an official "Actuals Thread", where each weekend's actual numbers are always posted/updated into one single thread?

• For
    • Against
    • Neutral
  3. 3. What would you think about an official "All New Numbers" thread, where literally ALL new numbers would posted into a single thread? (Example: all Friday estimates, all Tuesday estimates, etc.)

• For
    • Against
    • Neutral

• Founder / Operator

For years over at the-site-not-to-be-named, we always made a new thread for literally every single day's numbers.

I've given some thought to figuring out a better (more organized) way to keep track of all those threads. Archiving them is one thing, but it will very quickly add up into tons of archived links that just waste a lot of page space.

So, I'm presenting a few new ideas:

1) a Nikki thread -- One thread for Nikki's updates to be posted in every single weekend. (non-Nikki numbers would still get the typical "Estimates" threads).

2) an Actuals thread -- One thread for each weekend's actuals to be posted in.

3) an All Numbers thread -- One thread for ALL numbers (other than Actuals). In other words, it doesn't matter if Nikki or Variety reports it...nor does it matter if its for Friday, Saturday, or Monday. Its where literally EVERY new box office number would be posted. (The only exception would be actuals, which would be posted in the proposed Actuals thread.)

I have several other ideas, but as the poll limit is 3 at any given time, I won't overwhelm with more just yet.

I'd be ok with keeping the individual daily threads, but I think the Saturday estimates and Weekend estimates should be combined into one because the discussions inevitably blend into each other.I also think there should be a time limit on starting new estimates threads. Nothing before 9PM PT is what I propose.

Edited by tribefan695

The problem with combining all the threads into one is that it would become hard to find where the discussion for a particular day starts. For instance, there were 9 pages of discussion on the numbers from last night. Maybe I'm just being lazy but it would be annoying to have to search through the whole thread to find the beginning of the conversation. However, if we wanted to just make those threads to keep a record of the numbers but leave out discussions I wouldn't have a problem with it. It would be interesting to be able to look back and see how close the Friday numbers tend to match the weekend actuals.

The idea of a merge of daily threads after a certain time limit is a win. Either than that, Friday/weekend threads should always be separate, actuals can be added at the end of the weekend thread.The whole megathread is not a very good idea because, as others have said, there's no way to tell where each starts and that sucks all the fun out. You don't want to go trying to find the starting page if Avengers or TDKR or whatever breaks the record or if a movie bombs spectacularly etc. Also the later someone checks on the film's performance the more likely discussion unrelated to box office appears say Twilight or any fanboy movie where personal discussion gets in the way and whilst this could be disallowed, that's what gave BOM flavour.

Against all three. Having single threads is much better, what happens when we get to a big release and it makes huge numbers and the thread grows at a ridiculously fast pace.Daily threads is important for encouraging posting and it saves the memories, I want to come back in 6 months and say yep that is BD1's friday thread.