[*]Contraband - $166,418

[*]The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - $135,484

[*]We Bought a Zoo - $131,497

[*]Haywire - $55,483

[*]J.Edgar - $42,542

[*]The Grey - $42,272

[*]Man on a Ledge - $37,513

[*]Coriolanus - $27,332

*Overall gross: $3,968,533It went back to theaters on Jan. 8 and the only foreign movie holdover from 2011

Edited by forg

Underworld had the 3D advantage and also I think Sherlock Holmes is not really that much of draw here since we are more into superhero/large scale blockbusters. Although I agree the playdate could have been a factor, people don't spend that much after the holidaysI'm really curious how Titanic 3D will perform here, I remember when I was kid this movie had an epic run here like 7 to 8 months in the theaters and the crowd response to the trailer has been positive.

Edited by forg

I for one will catch it since I never watched it in the theaters just on VHS (oh how archaic! haha).Another one to watch for is The Hunger Games, never read the books but I'm feeling the same hype as Twilight was and the books are always sold out in the bookstores. Never watched any Twilight movie but I Will check out The Hunger Games since I love Jennifer Lawrence ;)

February 1-5, 2012

per Box Office Mojo

[*]Journey 2: The Mysterious Island - $604,950

[*]Chronicle - $369,565

[*]Underworld Awakening - $205,251

[*]The Darkest Hour - $142,526

[*]The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - $135,484 (41 screens only)

[*](local) My Cactus Heart - $134,142

[*]The Grey - $42,272

[*]Man on a Ledge - $37,513

[*]Contraband - $22,538

[*]Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - $9,456

[*]Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows - $8,135

[*]Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 - $5,040

[*]J. Edgar - $413

[*]We Bought a Zoo - $232

Edited by forg

Updated the top movies year to date list above. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo did OK with a limited release but I think not good enough to stay on theaters for a couple more of weeks especially with the influx of new releases:Anyway movies opening this week (or have opened already)Feb. 8 - The Woman in BlackFeb. 9 - Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace 3DFeb. 10 - The Vow & Safe HouseNext week, Hugo will finally open here on Feb. 15 ;) Ditto The Descendants

I just don't understand why our distributer dumped the movie in 25 screens with almost no marketing. I know this type of movies usually doesn't do well, but this is ridiculous. It is the Valentine's Day weekend...

Nothing. They just released it because of the VD (that day is usually big over here), but 25 screens is almost nothing. 40 would be a good number. And the screens where it opens are the smaller ones.

Just saw The Help already available on original home video. I was hoping it would actually be released here with the Oscar buzz. Someone also told me The Muppets is on original home video as well as well and that sucks because I've been waiting to see this one in theaters.And rhe Footloose remake will also be going straight to video since the distributor already cancelled the plan to screen the movie this month