kayumanggi

PHILIPPINES BOX OFFICE thread​

The Muppets is in theaters right now over here. And The Help was released in DVD last weekend (it was in theaters last October). Why didn't you receive those movies in theaters?(Footloose was also cancelled over here)

The Help has always been a tough sell, a period drama is not something that the audience here would flock to but I was thinking the Oscar buzz would get it here even if in limited screens only (The King's Speech last year was shown here in May in 3 cinemas only). A lot of "Oscar" movies are out this month (Hugo, The Descendants, War Horse, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and My Week with Marilyn). For a time The Help was scheduled for a January release but was cancelled.The Muppets is puzzling to me if it is indeed true that it won't be screened here. It's a kids movie so there's an audience for that here. I just hope that person was mistaken and he didn't see that particular movie on the record stores haha. But if it's indeed true then I guess maybe Disney itself decided not tor release it here anymore (and some other small markets I assume) since it's doing poorly overseas anyway :(Footloose was scheduled for an October release last year but got pulled out, I think the underwhelming box office domestically made Paramount think otherwise to expand its overseas rollout. Too bad I wanted to see this one as well since I'm sucker for dance flicks

Edited by forg

The Help flopped here. It was a hard movie to sell here and is release was limited.I am shocked with TKS. It was one of the biggest movies of last year in Portugal. I think it is in the top 10.The Muppets is also doing well. Kids movies are usually big here.It happened the exact same thing with Footloose here. Scheduled for October, delayed and when the poor results started to come in it was cancelled.

Yeah I think Paramount was expecting Footloose to breakout big time but it fizzled although it's not a disastrous flop. I guess if Zac Efron or even that Gossip Girl dude was the lead star it would have more overseas potentialWe always get the major animated and children's flicks here so The Muppet should be in theaters :D Even Lion King 3D was shown here and Beauty and The Beast 3D is coming out this month as well.Coriolanus was shown here a couple of weeks ago and it flopped, even J. Edgar flopped as well. I guesss that would be the case for The Help too if it was shown here. The long run time is not appealing to the theaters as well.

Edited by forg

Portugal escapes all that when it comes to kids movies (maybe that is the reason the Muppets was released here in over 70 screens). The Muppets is a big hit and Princess and the Frog was huge 2 years ago. Winnieh the Pooh tanked, tho.

Also out this week alongside Hugo and The Descendants is a Twilight: Breaking Dawn spoof movie Breaking Wind which looks so awful in the trailer. So annoying that we get crap like that here

Edited by forg

The Scary Movie franchise did well here but others I don't think so. I'm sure Breaking Wind will flop here. While I don't think Hugo and The Descendants will do big business here but I think they'll earn just good enough, marketing has been good for both. But we have a local romcom out as well which will likely win the box office.

Just came home from Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance press screening, not my kind of movie but it has amazing visuals and Nicholas Cage is a pleasure to watch.Hugo and The Descendants opened today and they are sadly flopping in the cinema I was at earlier :(

• Like 1

Here's a press release from The Vow's local distributor saying that the movie earned 34 million pesos (about $1.4 mil) on its first full week of release

"Columbia Pictures' touching romantic drama The Vow stole the hearts of Filipino audiences as it grossed an outstanding P34.08-million nationwide in its first seven days of release (Feb 10-16) and on only 61 screens. This was announced today by Vic Cabrera, managing director of Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. which distributed the film."

Full article here

Philippines Box Office

Feb. 8 -12, 2012

via Box Office Mojo

[*]Journey 2: The Mysterious Island - $397,130

[*]The Vow - $368,308

[*]Chronicle - $232,955

[*]Safe House - $134,013

[*]Underworld Awakening - $97,588

[*]Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (in 3D) - $80,953

[*]The Woman in Black - $61,869

[*]The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - $46,530

[*]The Darkest Hour - $39,095

[*]My Cactus Heart - $32,661

[*] Contraband - $25,002

[*]The Grey - $13,531

[*]J. Edgar - $3,363

[*]Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - $964

[*]Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - $690

[*]Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked - $193

Should be noted that The Vow and Safe House opened here on Feb. 10 so these are just 3 days worth of Box Office rather than 5