baumer

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Bloated, dull with uninspired characters setting off on what seems to be a life-threatening journey to save the world from the upcoming doom, when in fact they're taking a f* stroll and an eagle taxi. The title and LOTR references can't carry the movie, it has to present sth to the audience and Jackson failes to do so imo. What saves the film are the performances from the cast - they all did a pretty good job, despite a turd of a script to work with.
I'd add Bilbo-Gollum riddle scene and the movie's score to be a plus too.
I also consider the further installment to be a miles better.

• Like 1

Bloated beyond belief and so dull. One of the most boring first hours of a film I've ever seen. Ridiculous characters and awful humor.

Rivendell and the scene with the eagles are great, though.

C-

Edited by Noctis

first hour is great, easily the best part of the movie, it's downhill from there. the stone giant/Goblin-town/climax are a complete bore, unnecessary and uninteresting. Gandalf entrance and the riddle scene are the only worthy moments in the third act.

long story short: these Hobbit films are good when they are small and more personal. One great example is DoS climax

Smaug x Bilbo is a great scene.

Smaug x the rest of the gang is a pretty boring sequence, if not pathetic.

Edited by Goffe R Swanson
  • Like 1

This movie is so boring... when they're fighting. Some of the quiet moments are fantastic but it tries to be much more than it is in an attempt to make a more exciting picture but ironically, those moments are the most boring ones. I don't mind watching dwarfs eat or walk but I do mind watching them wipe out tens of goblins at a time with no stakes whatsoever. It's just so all over the place tonally and it will never be as good as LOTR, but it was also never supposed to be LOTR.

It's still very good though.

8/10

• Like 2

Challenge your mind. 

You can LOVE THIS movie. But do you think its just as good as all 3 LOTR movies? If not why is not an A or A-? 

Because I don't compare them. If I did compare any movie with LOTR, no other film would get above B+, let alone an A+. But since LOTR, TH movies are among the most entertaining to me. Certainly the best since HP ended. 

• Like 2

It took me 3 separate sittings to get through this. I absolutely worshipped LOTR but this sapped any interest in the Hobbit for me. Just dull and overstuffed and rambling and a mess. A couple of great action beats here and there but this film is so not worth the schlep.

• Like 1