Alpha

Why do people dislike TDKR?

I have a question many of us thought TDKR would not match TDK domestic total...However after the release of TA everything increased the perdictions by a solid 20%,Many say 200/600+ with ease.Where the unrealistic box office perdictions due to the hype of the film or was it because we thought if TA get X numbers TDKR could easily...

Exactly how I feel about this movie.

Anyway, It's too funny how some of the marvelites feel threatened about this movie. LOL!

You must talk about insecure individuals like Squaremaster who constantly feels the urge to counteract every single thread Baumer made about TDKR like he cannot fathom any criticism toward his darling...Weirdly, you can bet your ass off that every thread he creates will be bitchin' about The Avengers. Why The Avengers are systematically brought upon when it comes to criticize TDKR? I don't know he could make a "Hunger Games nitpicking" thread, "10 things that didn't work in Amazing Spiderman" or why "Skyfall is overrated". No, it must be about The Avengers suck donkey balls because it's not realistic blahblah TDKR masterpiece of the century blahblahblah Nolan is a God thanks to LickNolanballs.com polls blablah (Nolanite fapping all over the place). He feels threatened by Avengers and aimed his rage toward it because it overshadowed TDKR success. Nolan fans are still in shock Avengers stole the thunder and reached the heights that were promised to "the epic conclusion of the best trilogy ever made" (sigh). That's childish like he's having some kind of emotional investment in winning the internet in the name of Nolan.

Now, that's insecure fanboyism at its finest that can't handle fair criticism without whining and relying on bashing another movie to make his point. Give me a break.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

2012 was supposed to be the year of The Dark Knight Rises. Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight, which in my opinion, is one of the 25 best films of all time, left an indelible mark on cinema. But, following it up with the next chapter in the series was going to be a daunting task.

Dating as far back as 2009, I feared that The Dark Knight Rises would, like many third parts to a trilogy, drop in quality. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were minor miracles. They were films that redefined the superhero film from popcorn summer fun to a more serious tone with Oscar possibilities. And, of course, we all know about Heath Ledger’s once-in-a-life-time performance as the Joker.

I did not anticipate that The Dark Knight Rises would not only drop in quality but quite frankly turn out to be a lazy, silly film that not only defies logic but essentially turns itself into a parody of The Dark Knight.

Does the plot make any sense… Batman, or Bruce Wayne, cannot only find his way back home from a hole in the middle of nowhere, but he can do it with no money, no identification and no idea where he actually is.

Then when arriving back in Gotham, he cannot only get into a city that no one can get out of, but he can find Selena in the middle of that city. He has also picked up the gift of clairvoyance and he must have spoken with Warner Brother’s head Barry Meyer and asked him to lend him Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak so that he could spend a day getting enough gas to douse an entire building in downtown Gotham. This was done so that he could light his bat symbol on the building.

You also have the American military just saying, “Oh well, we’ll let ten million people die because one man claims he has a nuclear bomb.” No rescue is attempted and these people of Gotham are just left to fight for themselves. The film also has the stupidest police force in the entire world as EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM RUNS INTO THE SEWERS TO LOOK FOR THEIR LEADER. Every single one!

• Like 2

The question remains..Did the TA easily beat TDKR or was it that TDKR went below expectations at the box office? I think of it now, I think TDKR best case situation was to match TDK domestic gross now.This is what many of us expected back when the year started. Many of us expected TDKR not to reach the box office levels of TDK domestically...It was just that OMG!! TA broke all records, Batman has to be the film of year that many of us including myself got on the crazy and silly 200+ million domestic opening club which if you look at it was impossibile for a 2D film to ever do.....I post on world of Kj forums which is like Batman love-in, and I remember after TA opened many users increased thier opeing weekend perdictions from a reasonable 170-180 million to 200+ million? Why? TDKR had to be the biggest film of the year no matter what...

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Yeah, when you think about it, it had to be a Bruce Wayne story or it wouldn't have felt like he had finally moved on from Batman.

I understand why TDKR has a "clean and tidy" ending. I would have just liked something a bit more...well, Nolan. TDK gives me all that I need from a movie...and a story, which is why it's my favorite film ever. But, I never expected TDKR to be as good as TDK, I just expected it to be on par with Batman Begins, and unfortunately, I feel it fell slightly short of that mark. The ending was better, it just didn't grab me like BB did. It also felt a bit less like it was in the same universe as BB/TDK. Again, these are fractional gripes. It's still in my top ten superhero films over great films like Iron Man and X-Men 1.

This is where I think Nolan was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. By that I mean if it had felt like the same film as either of those, he probably wouldn't have delivered as good a film in his own opinion. He's a boundary-pusher, and I think the day he stops doing that is the day we'll see his first box office disappointment.

I kind of understand what you mean, but I also think that's partially because BB (where I see the biggest discrepancy) had some practical disadvantages (Nolan's first large scale film, tighter budget, less freedom of creative control - though he and Goyer still had quite a bit compared to other franchises). But I love the fact that each of the three films has their own identity, and I really feel like Rises does have quite a bit in common with TDK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guys, it's a Christmas miracle!

BKB. Praised. Nolan.

I repeat.

BKB. Praised. The. Shit. Out. Of. Nolan's. Filmography. For God Sake!

Let's get together along and sing in the name of Ron Burgundy!

Post of the day.

Exactly how I feel about this movie.

Anyway, It's too funny how some of the marvelites feel threatened about this movie. LOL!

I don't think many Marvel fans do, nor should they. And Nolan/Batman fans shouldn't feel threatened by anything either. We got two films this year that, more or less, satisfied their audiences. That's a blessing after what happened with the big boy franchises in 2007.

The question remains..

Did the TA easily beat TDKR or was it that TDKR went below expectations at the box office?

I think of it now, I think TDKR best case situation was to match TDK domestic gross now.

This is what many of us expected back when the year started. Many of us expected TDKR not to reach the box office levels of TDK domestically...

It was just that OMG!!

TA broke all records, Batman has to be the film of year that many of us including myself got on the crazy and silly 200+ million domestic opening club which if you look at it was impossibile for a 2D film to ever do.....

I post on world of Kj forums which is like Batman love-in, and I remember after TA opened many users increased thier opeing weekend perdictions from a reasonable 170-180 million to 200+ million?

Why? TDKR had to be the biggest film of the year no matter what...

The fact that TDKR managed to sell 81% of Avengers' tickets overall, and closer to 87% during OW is a pretty amazing feat considering the circumstances surrounding it. Both films had incredible runs, and even without Aurora I bet Avengers still would have won -- but why anyone finds the need to turn them into some kind of fan vs. fan showdown makes no logical sense. We're talking about two of the most successful films in modern history here. That's something to be celebrated on both ends.
  • Like 3

I definitely don't dislike it, but I'm disappointed by how little it impacted me. I counted the days for the BR release for TDK and got it first thing in the morning, I still haven't bought TDKR and am in no rush.Remember the first time you read Mockingjay and the whole thing just seemed so distant? The first two were so exciting yet with even higher stakes and the same characters you love you couldn't muster up the energy to really care? That's how TDKR feels to me. I just didn't connect.

• Like 1

Now how on earth are the so called "Marvelites" threatened by a movie that was clearly beaten by TA at the box office??? If anything, the Nolan fans are threatened by the fact that the movie just sucked total ass and as a result, this is the only thread in this forum that the Nolan fans seem to gravitate towards..

DC WILL RECLAIM ITS CROWN VERY SOON (IN ABOUT10-20YEARS) AND THEN IT WILL BE YOU WHO WILL GRAVITATE TOWARDS A CERTAIN THREAD MARVEL BOY! :whip:

I call it like I see it and it's true.. Nolan received a free pass on this cause of his impecable filmography that has more hits than misses like TDKR and that alone wasn't enough for critics to bury it.. Had Brett Ratner made this, it would've been buried and reviews would've been upheld until the embargo was lifted probably the day of release..

In other words you are making shit up that conforms to your world view.

Gotchya

• Like 1

I'm no more obsessed about this movie than you folks are trying to find vindication in it by posting threads like this.. If the movie was so well received like everyone here alludes to, then why was this thread created to begin with???? If everyone says the movie was so well liked, why start a thread titled "Why do people dislike TDKR??".. You can't have it both ways... :thinking:

You should ask Christmas Alpha, he started it. I think its pointless.
  • Like 1