Alpha

Why do people dislike TDKR?

TDKR is my favorite superhero movie (SM2 was once in that position)for the Nolan trilogy I'd rank them TDKR - BB - TDK.TDK is a great crime flick with an ott villain. The white knight / dark knight theme is a detour from BB and TDKR's exploration of "fear." The naive resolution of Joker's last mindfucking plot (convicts vs ordinary citizens) is the worst part of the trilogy.BB and TDKR are closely connected, narrative wise and thematically. Fear, from conquering to embracing it; foes, from Ra's to Talia Al Ghul; storm, from Batman's vigilantism to Talia's total annihilation; pearls, from Martha Wayne to Selina Kyle, from the tragic beginning of Batman to the peaceful exfiltration of Bruce Wayne... I prefer TDKR over BB mainly because a perfect finale is just more satisfying than a perfect beginning...plus a decent portrayal of Selina Kyle / Catwoman (and her beating out Talia as Batman's love interest...well, this is purely personal bias:) )

Wasp : as impressive as those figures are, TDK's are better. Obviously this movie was not as well recieved as its predecessor. However there is a difference between a movie being highly rated but not quite up to the level of its predecessor vs ur troll fantasy world where tdkr is hated by everyone but Nolanites, plus it kills puppies and causes eye cancer.This is a thread to discuss why it recived an 87% RT and an 8.7 imdb vs a 94% RT and a 9.0 imdb score. Please, stop trolling...... Its just sad from someone ur age.

Edited by Phil in the Hobbit
  • Like 2

Wasp : as impressive as those figures are, TDK's are better. Obviously this movie was not as well recieved as its predecessor. However there is a difference between a movie being highly rated but not quite up to the level of its predecessor vs ur troll fantasy world where tdkr is hated by everyone but Nolanites, plus it kills puppies and causes eye cancer.

This is a thread to discuss why it recived an 87% RT and an 8.7 imdb vs a 94% RT and a 9.0 imdb score. Please, stop trolling...... Its just sad from someone ur age.

THIS.

Avengers did better at the box office because it appealed to kids too, not an older audience like TDKR.TDKR also had a theater shooting in Colorado that kept people away from the theaters.Had that shooting not happened TDKR could've easily crossed $500M.

Avengers did better at the box office because it appealed to kids too, not an older audience like TDKR.TDKR also had a theater shooting in Colorado that kept people away from the theaters.Had that shooting not happened TDKR could've easily crossed $500M.

I think 500m would have been the ceiling for TDKR had the shootings not happened. And lets not act like TDKR didn't appeal to kids aswell. Avengers earned more because more people enjoyed it, it's that simple. Also kids tickets are far cheaper, so had more kids seen Avengers than TDKR then that makes it all the more impressive.
  • Like 2

So going by Box Office, TDKR is Nolans best film ever?Good to know.

Box office can show how popular a film is amongst the GA, its a lot more credible than a couple of polls that have taken place on geeky movie sites by a small majority of fanboys.
  • Like 1

Box office can show how popular a film is amongst the GA, its a lot more credible than a couple of polls that have taken place on geeky movie sites by a small majority of fanboys.

So according to your logic Transformers The Dark Side of the Moon is the 5th greatest movie of all time.

Brilliant. Love your logic.

Posted Image

• Like 1

It's his worst. But far more people prefered Avengers to TDKR, hence great WOM, amazing legs and multiple viewings. DOM and WW. That's what Box Office is about.

Not according to Jessies amazing and bullet proof logic that Greater Box Office = Better Film! TDKR > TDK going by WW gross. 10 pages and finally Jessie admits it! TDKR is the best Nolan film by his own definition.Seriously the man is a bona fide GENIUS. Edited by Phil in the Hobbit

So according to your logic Transformers The Dark Side of the Moon is the 5th greatest movie of all time.

Brilliant. Love your logic.

Posted Image

Well, dark of the moon didn't sell more tickets, avengers did, and it had more impressive legs. You don't need to be a genius to work out that more people liked avengers than TDKR. Why don't you take a few hours away from your computer screen and try interacting with people in the real world, you might learn a thing or two...

Not according to Jessies amazing and bullet proof logic that Greater Box Office = Better Film! TDKR > TDK going by WW gross. 10 pages and finally Jessie admits it! TDKR is the best Nolan film by his own definition.Seriously the man is a bona fide GENIUS.

When did I say Great box office = a better film? Now you're just making shit up lol. Try reading my posts more carefully next time before you go and make a fool of yourself ;)

I thought the main reason he became Batman was the loss of his loved ones, his beloved parents. That main reason that drives his thirst of justice. Now you tell me the loss of a woman (who didn't even love him but the guy who got on psychotic rampage) caused him to quit and mope during 8 years.

No, I said it wouldn't lead to a cocky Batman. Let's look at a parallel universe Batman who continued on his activities after taking the blame for Two Face's crimes. He is hardly going to be thinking 'I am shit hot', after he failed to protect the woman that he loved is he now? That experience would bring anyone back down to earth. He took up the 'Batman' personality to stop the kind of shit that happened to his parents from happening again and he failed in the most spectacular way. The events of TDK are simply not going to lead to a cocky batman.

The film of seeing Batman in his prime being taken down a peg or two that you want to see has already been made. It's called The Dark Knight and you should check it out. It's quite good you know.

I could do without Alfred's whining but his "Letting go of Batman" happened as Bane is already on the loose to take over Gotham so Batman is needed at this point. So I don't know what you're talking about when you say "it would be completely out of character".

We are talking about two different scenarios here:

1) TDKR actual scenario. Alfred see's Bruce mope around for 8 years after being forced to give up the Cape for the good of Gotham. At the very first sign of trouble (at this stage nothing is really known about Bane's plans) that could potentially need Batman's intervention he leaps into action not even thinking about how worn down and out of shape he is. It is clear to Alfred that he is desperate for this for his own selfish needs.

2) The Batman is cocky and in his prime and gets beat up by Bane scenario: We have a fully fit and healthy Batman go up against Bane and gets beaten. Alfred has no reason to give the speech as Bruce is trying to get better for the benefit of Gotham, not for himself.

Bane is very much a pawn indeed, he's manipulated by Talia.

Evidence? What happens in the film that gives you any indication that he is 'manipulated' by Talia? As far as I can tell he is fully aware of the plan from the beginning and agrees with it. No manipulation required.

For me, Bruce Wayne IS Batman. He's nothing but a cypher without him. That's his true self, the very meaning of his life and dedicated his all for him. So that's why I disagree about the "happy end" when Bruce Wayne just leaves out the cowl to some rookie cop to live La Dolce Vita with a former cat burglar. IMO, that's completely out of character.

That's certainly one view of Bruce Wayne/Batman and there is nothing wrong with thinking about the character like that. But its clearly not Nolan's interpretation of the character. To Nolan, the Batman persona has been and always will be a type of Psychosis and by definition, Bruce can't be healthy while he relies on it. Different strokes for Different folks I guess.
  • Like 1

When did I say Great box office = a better film? Now you're just making shit up lol. Try reading my posts more carefully next time before you go and make a fool of yourself ;)

You are the one who said in reply to a list of well errr lists and reviews that show that TA did not infact blow TDKR out of the water quality wise and I quote

"And Boxoffice shows otherwise..."

What could you possibly mean other than saying that the Boxoffice results determine the quality of a film?

Please, enlighten me oh genius one!

Alfred's speech would have worked just as well if Bruce was in his prime and Alfred could have left. If say, Batman is being chased by cops and won't stop even after the city is safe, Alfred is like too much is too much and walk out on him. Anyway, either we get Bane and Batman in his prime or some other villain to deal with an already broken down Batman. If Nolan decided to go straight with The Dark Knight Returns then he should have chosen either the Mad Hatter or the Riddler to be the villian. But instead he combines The Dark Knight Returns and Knightfall and those two storylines just don't go well together. Also, some No Man's Land is thrown in, but that actually works.Anyway, to have Batman absent for half the film and then come back for a scene and then leave until the last ten minutes just doesn't work for me. I understand this is Bruce's journey and Nolan could have achieved the same character development of Bruce's arc by not doing both storylines in one movie.

As I said above, I'm simply going to have to agree to disagree with you. Nolan took elements of these stories to tell the story that he wanted to tell. One of Bruce being able to move beyond Batman. I simply feel that we need to see how Bruce Wayne copes (or not) when he is unable to be Batman, to see how far he has come when later on he is able to move past that persona. Edited by Phil in the Hobbit

For those saying that it isanti-Nolanite's are bashing on this film, I will go on record saying that I am a huge Nolanite. I love all of his movies except one, TDKR which I think sucks. I am not bashing the director, but I do feel he dropped the ball with TDKR.Inception, TDK, and The Prestige are among my favorite films of all-time. I also enjoy Memento, Insomnia, and BB.