Neo

Marvel vs SW (Which Franchise Owns May)

Star Wars Vs. Marvel  

24 members have voted

1. 1. May Belongs To?

If they both come out in 2015 why cant they just both open in may? Avengers can open the first week and Star Wars can open 3 weeks later for the memorial weekend and then they can both own May.

Why would Disney schedule their two biggest tentpoles so close? I think Star Wars will get a July or Christmas release

If they both come out in 2015 why cant they just both open in may? Avengers can open the first week and Star Wars can open 3 weeks later for the memorial weekend and then they can both own May.

They can, but the question is what franchise does the month belong to? SW has a 30+ year history with May and Marvel a 10 year history of these 2 which has the bigger stake in May? Edited by Neo

Why would Disney schedule their two biggest tentpoles so close? I think Star Wars will get a July or Christmas release

I agree with you about Star Wars getting a July date. I would think that they would want to keep TA2 and Star Wars a few months apart to avoid one cutting the legs off of the other, so July makes sense. Plus, one of these 2 are going to be Disney's summer blockbuster. Disney won't sit the summer out, which is why I believe it'll be July instead of Christmas.

TA2 is not taking a backseat to SW7 after the amount of $$$ TA made.. It more than deserves the May slot and there is nothing wrong with pushing SW back a month or 2.. The end result will still be the same: The movie will make $$$$..

I'm thinking that way as well. TA did great in May, so I don't think Disney wants to move it. They will try to stick with what worked, so they will keep TA2 in May. And you're right, Star Wars will make money no matter what month it is released in, so there's no reason that it has to be released in May.

The reason so many people are passionate about Star Wars in May is because it has historically been released in May. However, that was under Fox. Disney isn't worried about the history of the release date. They will find another lucrative release date in the summer. July 4 makes sense, since it is a big holiday weekend.

Talk about a high quality problem. Poor Disney has to decide which movie to release on which date. On one hand they have the next installment of the highest grossing franchise in film history and on the other hand they have the sequel to a film that just made $623 Million at the box office. Life is hard in the wonderful world of Disney.

Edited by Walt Disney

It's a good problem to have. Though honestly because they can do more with SW in terms of theme parks especially at WDW where they can't have anything Marvel SW might rank a smidge higher to them.

Edited by DAR

I believe Avengers 2 already had May 1st before Star Wars 7 was even announced, so why should it move? Can't Star Wars just come out 2-3 weeks later, still in May?

Disney won't want Star Wars to cut off TA2's legs. That's why I don't think they will release them both in May. Also, Disney only releases 9-10 movies per year, so they won't release 2 movies in the same month. Edited by Walt Disney

Star Wars pre 2000 and Marvel post 2000I would like to see Star Wars go to July to change things up, plus I don't want them cutting into each others box office totals :)

Yeah, I want both to do very good. but I did vote star wars, but I think it would be fine to move it to July. a "Dark Knight" release date seems good to me.

Its not whether a movie should move the poll is which franchise OWNS May.

The question is not whether it will move, but which franchise owns May. To answer Can't Star Wars just come out 2-3 weeks later, still in May? The answer is yes and that would be pre-Mem. wknd.

History of the date? Considering May 4th is SW day I think there is a little importance in the month.

July 4th? Better date for TA2.

They can, but the question is what franchise does the month belong to? SW has a 30+ year history with May and Marvel a 10 year history of these 2 which has the bigger stake in May?

Why does it matter if SW If released in May or not? Nobody actually cares and I'm guessing 99% of the GA don't even realise it's the month of SW. I always associate May with superhero movies now.