CJohn

Christmas Day Numbers | Les Miserables: 18.1M | DU: 15M | The Hobbit: 11.3M | PG: 6.5M

Im checking out the #django hashtag on Twitter and most of the tweets from fellow African Americans that I see are really positive. Many are calling it one of the best of the year and they arent only taking about Jamie/Django, some said Leo needs an Oscar and many like Sam Jack's comedy, even QT was getting praise. I still dont know how the older generation, like Spike Lee, feels, but I know my generation is loving it and this should play well the younger crowd- all races of course. I can post some of tweets if anyone wants, or you can check it out twitter #django.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

DU is an extremely entertaining movie, far better than Inglourious Basterds.

I think I liked Basterds a bit more, but I rated them the same (9/10). I will have to see how Django holds up with repeat viewings. First time through included a power surge at the theater right in the middle of the movie. So that was an awkward deal and certainly hurt the experience. Theaters just keep getting worse with their presentation.

Django is trending like absolute mad on Twitter among my friends right now. I went to a majority black high school, and as jandrew noted, the younger generation of my African-American friends are loving this movie. It might explode over the next week.

I think I liked Basterds a bit more, but I rated them the same (9/10).

Well I liked Basterds too, it was a good movie. But I think Django had a much better storyline and flow to the movie. It felt like QT's long talky scenes in this one actually got you somewhere and advanced the storyline. And a lot of the action in it was pretty damn cool.That said, its definitely not for everyone. I think the scene that made me the most uncomfortable in the whole movie was actually the scene of two men fighting. (And I don't want to say any more than that to avoid spoilers.) I don't recall Basterds being quite so difficult/squeamish/uncomfortable in various scenes.That said, I simply think Django was a more entertaining movie. Great mix of action, fun, drama, characterization, seriousness, and ridiculousness. Edited by kitik

Also opening Tuesday was Fox's family comedy Parental Guidance, starring Billy Crystal, Bette Midler and Marisa Tomei. The movie came in No. 3 with a projected $6 million to $7 million.

Placing No. 4 was Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey with an anticipated $10.8 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/christmas-box-office-les-mis-406362

Math sucks.

Well they obviously meant to swap PG and Hobbit... PG's number makes more sense. As a kids movie it could be the only opener that increases tomorrow. It's going to go for 80m+ and if it does any more then we should prepare for Parental Guidance 2 in 2014. If the LM/DU numbers hold, I think that while both are VERY impressive, Django is more surprising to me. This isn't a Christmas or family movie but it got one of the biggest Christmas Day launches of all time. Both movies will be going for 150m+ which makes me very very happy. Hobbit got its thunder stolen. It needs an increase tomorrow to stay in the game.

At least these openers are strong enough to cover for The Hobbit's failure... December won't be that bad after all.

It's a perfect way to end the year. We started off really strong with TDI making 30 million OW, and we'll end with a trio of strong openers.