CJohn

Christmas Day Numbers | Les Miserables: 18.1M | DU: 15M | The Hobbit: 11.3M | PG: 6.5M

But why? is it the theater count? Can LM get more tehaters on frdiay? Can TH start losing theaters?

I'm thinking minimal hobbit fall, and depending on how front loaded Django and Les Mis is. (Well mostly Les Mis, because Django actually needs to have an extremely and unlikely as hell hold to take #1) However sellouts are encouraging for both Mis and Django, so I think that we'll probably see 1. Mis 2. Close between Hobbit and Django. I've been thinking that as well. Maybe Les Mis has an expansion this weekend, It's definitely getting an expansion next weekend if what I'm hearing is correct. We can probably see Les Mis in 3500 theatres soon, as demand right now seems to be outpacing seats as we've seen another day with ridiculous amounts of sellouts. My local theatre's probably gonna end up with a clean sweep again, and the ones around it aren't looking down from Yesterday. If it was in 3500 theatres yesterday it probably would've broken 20 million. [in other not really related news, Kuwait city, Kuwait has managed to sell out Les Mis completely for quite a few days in a row.]I'd like to see Hobbit loose theatres in favour of Les Mis starting Friday, but other than that theatre loss this Friday will be minimal as the only opener is Promised Land in just 25 theatres.

Sellouts were both very strong for Les Mis, and Django today. I don't see either one of them dropping too heavily. Hobbit has a chance to be #1 today.

I don't think TH will outpace LM , even though it has more shows. Looking at my nearest multiplex that I frequent regularly TH has 12 showings today but only 2 sellouts. The 12 shows are on 3 screens with seating capacity of 420, 180 and 130, the single biggest and 2 smallest auditoriums at this multiplex and the sell outs came in the 2 small screens, 1 each while LM has sold out 6 of its 7 shows, both auditoriums are between 250 and 300 seats.From a business perspective the theater should have dropped TH from one of the small screens and concentrated the crowd more and given it to LM which is clearly in need of more seating.Whoa, I just checked 420 seater which is UltraAVX which is reserved seating so you can see how many seats are sold. I can only check on shows yet to start so that means just the 10:45 show, and TH has sold just 38 tickets so far. Edited by Incarnadine

I don't think TH will outpace LM , even though it has more shows. Looking at my nearest multiplex that I frequent regularly TH has 12 showings today but only 2 sellouts. The 12 shows are on 3 screens with seating capacity of 420, 180 and 130, the single biggest and 2 smallest auditoriums at this multiplex and the sell outs came in the 2 small screens, 1 each while LM has sold out 6 of its 7 shows, both auditoriums are between 250 and 300 seats.From a business perspective the theater should have dropped TH from one of the small screens and concentrated the crowd more and given it to LM which is clearly in need of more seating.

This is the Scotiabank right? I agree with dropping TH's screens as there're way too many of them, and I know some theatres especially in suburban, and urban areas have added extra showings of Les Mis that've sold out.

This is the Scotiabank right?I agree with dropping TH's screens as there're way too many of them, and I know some theatres especially in suburban, and urban areas have added extra showings of Les Mis that've sold out.

Yup, Scotiabank, Looks like TH is up to 49 seats sold for AVX, BUT at Silvercity Metrotown it's a paltry 32.I am very curious as to today's numbers, are theaters in my area typical or will the US differ substantially from Canada today?

Yup, Scotiabank, Looks like TH is up to 49 seats sold for AVX, BUT at Silvercity Metrotown it's a paltry 32.I am very curious as to today's numbers, are theaters in my area typical or will the US differ substantially from Canada today?

Anecdotally US doesn't look too much different from yesterday. One person I talked to said that sales looked down, but no one else corroborated that. And that's horrible for Hobbit, they should give those AVX screens to Mis instead. ;)

I`m sorry but how the hell you can make a movie set in time where N word was the only word without saying it or by saying some PC substitute? By playing it PC you lose authenticity. besides, QT isn`t PC and the movie isn`t supposed to make one comfortable. Quite the contrary.

Yes because the foremost thing Django was concerned about was authenticitiy. Is Tarantino just satirizing himself at this point? Sorry but I thought it was all too much, and it doesn't hold a candle to Basterds.

Anecdotally US doesn't look too much different from yesterday. One person I talked to said that sales looked down, but no one else corroborated that.And that's horrible for Hobbit, they should give those AVX screens to Mis instead. ;)

Anecdotally US doesn't look too much different from yesterday. One person I talked to said that sales looked down, but no one else corroborated that.And that's horrible for Hobbit, they should give those AVX screens to Mis instead. ;)

I would have loved to see LM on AVX, it would be well worth the extra cost for a movie like this, not to mention I love reserved seating for big movies, nothing like strolling in 5 minutes before showtime and going straight to your prime location seat.When I saw LM and DU on Xmas I had to make sure to leave an hour between them just for getting in line, which turned out to be just right, I was about 50th in line for DU but within 10 more minutes the line had swelled to over 200.

i think this friday hobbit will lose more screens for sure. after all hobbit will complete 2 week run and plexes are mandated to play only for 2 weeks.

I doubt it. Nothing is opening on Friday; theaters won't have anything to replace Hobbit with.

Django absolutely blew away everything at my theater today, with Les Mis and PG following behind. My 8 o clock Django showing sold out, audience was 75 percent black and about 25 percent Hispanic or white. Crowd clapped several times during the movie, and absolutely seemed to love it. I think it's gonna have great legs.

• Like 1

I doubt it. Nothing is opening on Friday; theaters won't have anything to replace Hobbit with.

The logic makes sense though. Hobbit hasn't been doing well so theatres can drop Hobbit, or relegate it to less screens than WB contractorally forced the theatres to show it on (I mean 120+ thousand screens for OW? WB definitely shoved that down theatre's throats). Thus allowing Les Mis, and Django (but mainly Les Mis, as it's only in 2808 theatres) to be shown in more theatres and on more screens.

I`m sorry but how the hell you can make a movie set in time where N word was the only word without saying it or by saying some PC substitute? By playing it PC you lose authenticity. besides, QT isn`t PC and the movie isn`t supposed to make one comfortable. Quite the contrary.

Exactly. This N word "controversy" with Django is just stupid. That's ALL white men called black people in that time and place. No one's saying it was right, but it damn sure is accurate. And I'm sooooo tired of the fact that the N word is a term of endearment when black people say it to each other, but if anyone else says it the whole world is supposed to stop. Either it's an offensive word or it's not, make up your mind. Edited by HobbitMan89
  • Like 2

And only Texas Chainsaw Massacre #8 opens on January 4th. I can't imagine it's going to take more than one screen per theater, so most movies will keep their screen count through to January 11. (And further, of course.)

And only Texas Chainsaw Massacre #8 opens on January 4th. I can't imagine it's going to take more than one screen per theater, so most movies will keep their screen count through to January 11. (And further, of course.)

There's two wide expansions that week too as well. Impossible, and Promised land. However judging by Impossible's BO, and Promised Land's reviews neither will make much of an impact anywhere.