Gopher

People Who Like Stealing Movies Happen To Like Project X

http://www.slashfilm.com/project-x-beats-avengers-dark-knight-rises-as-2012s-most-pirated-film/

Most pirated movies of 2012-

1. Project X

2. Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol

3. The Dark Knight Rises

4. The Avengers

5. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

6. 21 Jump Street

7. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

8. The Dictator

9. Ice Age: Continental Drift

10. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1

I'm not fond of my generation.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 3

True story: In the second week of my freshman year of college, one of my friends got caught trying to finish a download of Public Enemies that had been sitting paused on his computer for a few weeks. My university's tech folk turned him over to a Universal suit who called him and screamed at him about how he was fucking lucky they were being fucking merciful when they should just throw his fucking ass in jail, then suck every last fucking penny out of his bank account with a fine, and that's just what they're gonna fucking do if he tries it again. (Yes, I also imagined that in Ralph Fiennes's In Bruges voice.) :lol:

• Like 3

Except from the 7 million people who stole the movie.

Yes and no. Let's say that if these seven million people did not download the movie that only 1 million bought it. Now, let's say the 7 million downloaded it but spread WOM and as a result 2 million sales were gained. Obviously, it is hard to prove either way, but there is also a net positive effect to illegal downloads if something gets good WOM. This is especially true for low budget films that get super limited releases. As a matter of fact, I remember reading about such a movie that made the top ten one year and they were super excited because Home Video sales went way up on that film because of more people seeing it.In other words there is a good side and a bad side to illegal downloads and in some cases illegal downloads actually help a movie out. I can't say if that is true for Project X or not.

If movies want WOM they need to do it the legitimate way. Try pitching that to a media head: "Well, the people who stole the film really love it! Even if we lose revenue from them, we may get revenue from the people they recommend the film to, even though those people may steal the movie themselves!" In places of the world where people can't access these movies legally... that's more of a grey area. But the vast majority of pirates are entitled babies who expect all of their entertainment for free. iTunes rentals are four dollars and the theater to DVD window is smaller than ever. I have no sympathy or understanding for them.

True story: In the second week of my freshman year of college, one of my friends got caught trying to finish a download of Public Enemies that had been sitting paused on his computer for a few weeks. My university's tech folk turned him over to a Universal suit who called him and screamed at him about how he was fucking lucky they were being fucking merciful when they should just throw his fucking ass in jail, then suck every last fucking penny out of his bank account with a fine, and that's just what they're gonna fucking do if he tries it again. (Yes, I also imagined that in Ralph Fiennes's In Bruges voice.) :lol:

LOL did that guy really scream that many F words?Anyway, hilarious story. :lol: Edited by vc2002

Actually there's still time. It takes place in October 2015. Although probably not enought time to get up to Jaws 19. Sorry baumer.

Yeah but most people interested in TA and TDKR watched it in Theaters.Also the nice prints did not release for a while....As you see the film that topped the year where the ones released late last year or early this year. Everyone I know has seen Project X and 21 Jump Street online...Comedies are very very popular online...I downloaded Judge Dredd at home, nice movie.Hope they make a Sequel...I have a 120 Gb download limit so I go nuts... Edited by Lordmandeep

A lot of people steal movies.I bet those stats don't even cover people who stream movies online or directly download films.Actually what has happened is when a lot of the big file sites were taken down it caused a huge problem in downloading illegal films.However people just turned to streaming movies and the old but very effective method... Torrents.

Edited by Lordmandeep