efialtes76

Thursday Numbers:TH1 $10.6m,Les Mis $9.4m,DU $8.7m....

I am absolutely sure about the Oscar noms. Talk to any and all Academy members if you know any and they will corroborate what I'm saying. I don't predict any of my Oscars or guild awards without talking to Guild members, or Academy members first. The A cinemascore itself validated nothing as you've said because there is a pre-existing fandom. But, it is the breakdown of the cinemascore that meant everything. No single group surveyed by Cinemascore gave the movie anything less than an A, not an A-, an A. Women, the primary target of the movie even gave it an A+. This isn't the fandom talking, missus, this is true public love for the movie. Men under 25 are highly unlikely to be part of the fandom, but guess what Cinemascore they gave the movie? A fucking A.

That doesn't prove that mainstream audiences are in love with the movie. LM has been a global theatrical phenomenon for more than two decades. And guess what? It has fan of every gender, sexuality, and a wide range of ages. Duh. The people who rushed to see it and gave the film an A were clearly Mizheads, which were, to begin with, more likely to love the film than anybody else. That Thursday drop, especially compared to every other film, which either stayed flat or increased, doesn't exactly scream "true public love" and "strong word of mouth among non-Mizheads." And about the Oscars, well, I guess you personally know every Academy voter, and who they are voting for. Congrats on having so many friends in high places.

That doesn't prove that mainstream audiences are in love with the movie. LM has been a global theatrical phenomenon for more than two decades. And guess what? It has fan of every gender, sexuality, and a wide range of ages. Duh. The people who rushed to see it and gave the film an A were clearly Mizheads, which were, to begin with, more likely to love the film than anybody else. That Thursday drop, especially compared to every other film, which either stayed flat or increased, doesn't exactly scream "true public love" and "strong word of mouth among non-Mizheads." And about the Oscars, well, I guess you personally know every Academy voter, and who they are voting for. Congrats on having so many friends in high places.

Les Mis is a musical phenomenon, but that does not mean that it appeals to everyone. The fact that the age and gender groups that it least likely appeals to gave it an A speaks volumes. As for the Oscars, don't play stupid and insinuate something ridiculous. I know a small portion, but numerous enough to gauge a representative sampling in most years. They've been wrong before, and had some odd results but mostly accurate including an apparently not so razor-tight race for Best Actress last year. [i'd chalk this last one up to chance, and outliers though. There's no way last year's Actress race wasn't ridiculously tight.]

Men under 25 are highly unlikely to be part of the fandom, but guess what Cinemascore they gave the movie? A fucking A.

Are you serious?? Do you have any idea how many young gay men love musical theatre and adore Les Miz? I actually work in the Arts Building of a major university here in Denver, and the members of the drama club had a theatre outing last Xmas to see LM. Guess how many young men in their early twenties—not all gay— were in the group? At least 10.

My issue with Tarantino is that he hasn't made a really great movie since Pulp Fiction. Most of his movies since then have made a lot of money ,have opened to great hype but none of them have demonstrated any staying power. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were highly influential movies. Everything since then has been pretty weak if you are not a Tarantino fan.

Les Mis is a musical phenomenon, but that does not mean that it appeals to everyone. The fact that the age and gender groups that it least likely appeals to gave it an A speaks volumes. As for the Oscars, don't play stupid and insinuate something ridiculous. I know a small portion, but numerous enough to gauge a representative sampling in most years. They've been wrong before, and had some odd results but mostly accurate including an apparently not so razor-tight race for Best Actress last year. [i'd chalk this last one up to chance, and outliers though. There's no way last year's Actress race wasn't ridiculously tight.]

The fact that you resort to name-calling punctuates what I have said: You guys are way too emotional regarding this film, and keep predicting absurd things for this film. Oh, well....

Are you serious?? Do you have any idea how many young gay men love musical theatre and adore Les Miz? I actually work in the Arts Building of a major university here in Denver, and the members of the drama club had a theatre outing last Xmas to see LM. Guess how many young men in their early twenties—not all gay— were in the group? At least 10.

First off, I find that stereotype extremely offensive. But, your sampling is most definitely flawed. You're taking a sampling out of a drama club which definitely would vote heavily in favour of a movie like Les Mis. And secondly, drama clubs do tend to have a higher percentage of gay people than the normal public. Secondly, not all young people going to see Les Mis, are gay musical loving people. That's offensive beyond belief.

The fact that you resort to name-calling punctuates what I have said: You guys are way too emotional regarding this film, and keep predicting absurd things for this film. Oh, well....

I haven't name-called you. The insinuation that I knew all academy members was stupid, and ridiculous. Point blank. Ask anyone and they'll tell you that. Besides even if I did, there are some 5935 academy members by my count, that I'd have to contact. I have a life. :P Edited by riczhang

We are sorry master. Teach us your skills master...No... No... We're not worthy of your skills.Get over it already.

First off, I find that stereotype extremely offensive. But, your sampling is most definitely flawed. You're taking a sampling out of a drama club which definitely would vote heavily in favour of a movie like Les Mis. And secondly, drama clubs do tend to have a higher percentage of gay people than the normal public. Secondly, not all young people going to see Les Mis, are gay musical loving people. That's offensive beyond belief.

If you are offended by anyone implying that all young men who love musical theatre could be gay, or that everyone seeing LM intheatres could be gay people, then you might be a homophobe. Think about it. ;-) And in any case, all of your flawed logic and misguided attempts at coming up with "facts" and justifying/rationalizing the facts are invalidated by the numbers The film is not the four quadrant hit that you claim it is, and on a day in which every film stayed flat or increased, it had a big drop. Edited by cochofles

...and on a day in which every film stayed flat or increased, it had a big drop.

This is taking numbers out of context. Any large profile release (on Christmas, no less) will drop on its second day. The drop is not indicative of weak legs or inability to cross over to a broader audience.

Even the fact that this dude has engaged me in this "argument" is silly. I have not bashed the film or called it crap. I have not said that it flopped. I have only mentioned that it's not the smash blockbuster that Mizheads predicted it would be, and it's too early to determine whether non-Mizheads love it. WOM is still undetermined among mainstream audiences.

If you are offended by anyone implying that all young men who love musical theatre could be gay, or that everyone seeing LM intheatres could be gay people, then you might be a homophobe. Think about it. ;-) And in any case, all of your flawed logic and misguided attempts at coming up with "facts" and justifying/rationalizing the facts are invalidated by the numbers The film is not the four quadrant hit that you claim it is, and on a day in which every film stayed flat or increased, it had a big drop.

That's because it's on it's opening days, Sherlock? Of course a movie that is in theaters for two weeks stays flat, but a movie that opens on Christmas day, the day when people go to theaters in masses, and have a chance to see the movie for the first time, will drop the next day, because despite word of mouth, on the next day, there will be less people going to the theaters, and again decreasing for Thursday.You come here and tell us that we don't anything about Box Office yet you say the most moronic thing in the whole thread.

If you are offended by anyone implying that all young men who love musical theatre could be gay, or that everyone seeing LM intheatres could be gay people, then you might be a homophobe. Think about it. ;-) And in any case, all of your flawed logic and misguided attempts at coming up with "facts" and justifying/rationalizing the facts are invalidated by the numbers The film is not the four quadrant hit that you claim it is, and on a day in which every film stayed flat or increased, it had a big drop.

I've never said that the movie is a four-quadrant hit. And secondly, you implied that all young gay men like musicals.

Do you have any idea how many young gay men love musical theatre and adore Les Miz?

That is offensive, because while I like musicals I know many other young gay men who don't; my boyfriend being one of them (who likes plays but abhors musicals.) And I'm not gonna dignify myself to come up with an answer to the homophobe accusation. (Could it be construed as an accusation? :unsure:)