baumer

Love and Other Drugs

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The acting of Jake and Anne are excellent portrayals of two characters who each have significant personal issues that prevent them from finding fulfillment in love; that is until they meet each other. The story centers around Jamie's overwhelming desire to hide his insecurity of self worth by being an overachiever in his work and social skills. Whereas Maggie's incurable Parkinson's disease, with it's progressive lifestyle deterioration, causes her to protect herself from those who would pity her or not be able to carry the burden of the support she will ultimately need. I can relate to Maggie, not that I have Parkinson's but I do have a disease that is somewhat similar, called CIDP. It affects my nerves so that I cannot doe up buttons, open milk cartons and such. So I can relate to what she is going through.

The story presents these two characters with extreme passion for life and sexual prowess, that at first hides their personal issues from each other, but which also increases the desires of both to connect more fully with the other. The juxtaposition of these two very intelligent and talented characters makes for an intriguing portrayal for their discovery of love for each other.

That desire is largely manifest by Jake's character (Jamie Randall) in that Maggie makes him desire to be a better person thru her insightful understanding of his weaknesses, yet her total acceptance of him. Ironically this insight makes her feel less threatened by Jamie, yet very concerned about letting Jamie see her trials with Parkinson's disease.

I found this story to be completely engaging and well performed by all the actors and the director. This is an intelligent film and should be recognized for its achievement as such. It is imo the one of the three best films of 2010 and Hathaway not only should have been nominated for best actress, she should have won.

10/10