baumer

Spider-Man (2002)

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• Founder / Operator

I love this. First half is stronger than the second. has one of my fave flight scenes when SM scoops up MJ and lies her off to safety. That`s Romance with capital R.

I agree with this (and Noctis' comment about the camp). It just works for me for some reason, and sometimes doesn't in certain movies (Batman 1989 being a prime example). It's probably the overall light tone of the story helps justify it.

The second act completely redeems itself starting with the final battle, though. All the way through the funeral scene and the classic Raimi camera tracking of Spidey through NY. To this day, one of the best final 10 minutes of any comic book movie for my money's worth.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

The second act completely redeems itself starting with the final battle, though. All the way through the funeral scene and the classic Raimi camera tracking of Spidey through NY. To this day, one of the best final 10 minutes of any comic book movie for my money's worth.

With great power comes great responsability.

This is my gift. My curse.

Who Am I? I'M SPIDERMAN!

Posted Image

Nuff said!

(Best Spiderman's movie ending. It could have been a stand alone, Spiderman's mythology is perfectly wrapped up. Everything is there in its right place and self-contained.).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

That movie is notable for well setting the opening record in the most spectacular way ever.

Being the film to start the modern comic book craze that continues

and an Epic Line "With great power comes great responsibility"

I was 9 years old and my dad took me opening day, I remember waiting in line for 2.5 hours. When we got seated he theater manager came out and gave a speech. I can say this one the first time I can clearly remember being wowed. It was one of the movies that made me come to the understanding that this is my passion. 

Its Mother Fucking SPIDER-MAN! A

That's why it was so great. I was 17 at that time and I felt the same thing. That's how you do a superhero origins movie. At the end, you just want to ride along Spiderman, you just want to be Spiderman.

And Spiderman 2 screening was even more thrilling and pumping, could not believe Raimi managed to outdo SM after that epic ending but he delivered the best Spiderman yet. How I missed those days...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

Watching this on Blu-ray. It may not be quite as strong as Raimi's second film at times, but overall, this has definitely been my favorite Spidey flick throughout the years. At this point, part of that might be nostalgia...but the reboot just doesn't compare to this for me. Solid A+.

• Like 3

I just caught this on TNT. Still one of my most favorite superhero origin movies. The acting are good to great all around. Clearly defined plots/stories. The actions are great. Special effects are a little iffy, but hold up pretty well still after 10+ years. The theme/score is wonderful.

I still find Tobey as Peter Parker very endearing in his awkwardness. Kirsten Dunst looked good here. And man, that upside down kiss scene is truly iconic. The final shot of the swing is magnificent.

One thing I enjoy less is probably James Franco's Harry Osborn, I'm not sure why, but his character doesn't sit right with me.

Overall, definitely an A

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

I'm honestly not trying to hate on Webb's TASM as it does have a lot of shining points, but I've yet to find one thing in it that was more enjoyable for me than Raimi's first film. I'd even still take the visual effects of SM1 over TASM...easily.

Martin Sheen and Sally Field being cast would be a contender but that's more of an "even" comparison, IMO.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1