baumer

Spider-Man (2002)

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Still a good movie but I there's something I don't like about William Dafoe's performance. But Dunst and Maguire are great together. And it's been eclipsed by better comic book movies B+

I agree totally......

never been a fan of camp unless it's completely over the top, so the atmosphere of this is a bit off. villain wasn't as enjoyable as spider-man 2. still enjoyable enough.

57/100, C+

It's been a long time since I watched it and WOW this is better than I thought A- 9/10 and used to think that the reboot was better than this lol

Fun fac: I watched it when I was 9 and hated.

• Like 1

Posted a review for this film on my blog: http://accursedarachnid.wordpress.com/

I will be posting a comics to film type review for each Spider-Man film and then for more comic book type films in the future. If you don't care to read it, you can probably guess that I liked it. ;)

But, this is not really as much about how much I liked it, as it is about how reverent it was to the comics version that has existed for over 50 years now. So in that respect, you should not expect 100% raves.

• Like 1

I've been rewatching a lot of Marvel films lately. The Spider-Man series is one of them.  This was an amazing film for it's time, it still holds some of the best Spidey scenes on film so far.  But it's also not the best or even the 2nd best Spidey film. It definitely has it's ups, but it also has some downs.  One of the best things about it is the score. It couldn't be any more perfect IMO I honestly wish they could have incorporated it into the reboot saga. James Franco is great, Jameson is perfect and I wish he could also be in the reboot series. The final swing at the end of the film is still the best so far.

But this movie is kinda cheesy, the Goblin costume they went with is inferior to the original concept they had for the movie, and Maguire never really came off as believable as being very intelligent, whereas Garfield does come off as very intelligent to me. But I don't hate Tobey, in fact unless down the road there is an absolutely perfect Spider-Man where he's universally considered the definitive Spidey, I think Spidey will be like Bond where each new guy brings something new to the table and are great in  their own ways.

For being released in 2002, this was the Spider-Man franchise we needed, not the one we deserved. (Batman reference :P ) If TASM saga is as good as I hope, we could be onto something special if they pull it off.

This film:

B+

Edited by Cheesy Poofs
  • Like 1

Been watching parts of this on TNT today. I may be playing for the home team as a Spidey fan, but this is still a classic IMO. Brings back memories.

Shawn you rem all those haters when Baum and I  told em and I thin k you too that this  film would make the  100M 3 day weekend.

The first in history baby!! 114m+ to be exact in 3 days and my debut on bom as a fanboy knowing SM with all that expectation and those mega trailers with TObey Maguires performance would be epic !! :)

400+M (nearly 600M today) domestic :D

One of my favorite scenes in this movie is Peter and May's conversation after the graduation. Everyone credits Nolan and the first IM for bringing that sense of 'realism' to the genre but damn that scene is real.

Wonderful movie, the main titles alone have more flair than 95% of blockbusters.

• Like 1

One of my favorite scenes in this movie is Peter and May's conversation after the graduation. Everyone credits Nolan and the first IM for bringing that sense of 'realism' to the genre but damn that scene is real.

Wonderful movie, the main titles alone have more flair than 95% of blockbusters.

Point well made ddddeee There would  be nolan batman without the realism moments of SM1 and SM2

My dad took me to see this opening weekend ( I think it was that Saturday) and man it just entirely blew me away. I'd seen the Spidey cartoons tons of times but this movie is what made me a huge Spidey fan, and I think that can be said for a ton of kids at the time. This movie is just pure fun. It doesn't really try to be an in-depth thriller like Batman Begins, and it shouldn't be. It's a light-hearted thrill ride in itself and all the leads have great chemistry. Gotta say, I still love this movie. This along with Spider-Man 2 are the definitive Spidey films, IMO. Nothing against Garfield and the others in the new series, but it just doesn't hold a candle to this one.

• Like 1

rewatched it again.

This is how you make a lighthearted and fun superhero movie, the drama is great because it feels real and honest, the great cast and chemistry between them contributed to that as well.

Raimi breaths creativity, the build up to the Green Globin attack in the World Unity parade is one of many examples, and he knows how to make a proper villain. This may not be one of the best superhero films of all time, but sure is one of the best directed.

Memorable scenes and the best superhero theme of all time seals the deal. 85/100

and to think some people said that fluffy happy meal called The Amazing Spider-Man was better than this one

frankly, I have no hope whatsoever for the next reboot, doubt it will be half as good as this one.

Edited by Goffe