Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

12 Years a Slave wins Audience Award in Toronto. Previously also won by Slumdog and TKS.

Also won by SLP and Eastern Promises. And also Philomena was a surprise second place. Bodes very well. AMPAS will eat it up like no Tomorrow. Probably looking at Picture, Director (Frears is very respected though he hasn't made a good movie since the Queen and a masterpiece since Laundrette in like 86), Actress (Duh, and it looks like my prediction a month or so ago of Dench being Blanshitto's biggest competition is spot on. I think Dench wins.), Supporting Actor, and Screenplay, Surprised Gravity wasn't top 3. Maybe not as big of a contender as we thought. This is alive that really needs the crowds and the BO to make it big. Hopefully it'll earn good money. Edited by riczhang

Not to hijack the thread, but THE twist in Shutter Island isn't

who Di Caprio turns out to be

, but his final line to Ruffalo. I'm pretty sure Scorsese knew the earlier twist was totally predictable - he's definitely not stupid - and instead of earnestly trying to hide it, he had a ball with it, turning the visuals, the music, the paranoid atmosphere and most of the side characters up to 11. It was a great experience in the theater. Completely unrestrained unless when it needed to be (i.e. the very ending). 

• Like 5

Right now...

Pole position (already seen, huge WOM)

12 years a slave

Philomena

Gravity

Second line (strong buzz)

Captain Philips

Llewyn Davis

Foxcatcher

Third line (solid favorable points, still unseen though)

Wolf of Wall Street

American Hustler

Mr Banks

Fighting for a place in the race (if it were another year...)

Her

August

Butler

Nebraska

All is lost

Prisoners

Blue Jasmine

Rush

Monuments men

Edited by stripe
  • Like 1

The Counselor is more likely then some of those.

I don't see it happening. And Sims, I typed up a long response to your Philomena not happening post. But my computer crashed and I can't be bothered to type it. Basically: 12YAS NoGravity NoAmerican Hustle (IMO looks too gimmicky)August Not happening unless it suddenly makes like 150 million. Wolf on Wall Street NoWhat else is there?

I don't see it happening. And Sims, I typed up a long response to your Philomena not happening post. But my computer crashed and I can't be bothered to type it. Basically: 12YAS NoGravity NoAmerican Hustle (IMO looks too gimmicky)August Not happening unless it suddenly makes like 150 million. Wolf on Wall Street NoWhat else is there?

Gatsby, old sport. :P
  • Like 1

Not going to count out Grace either-it has the same release pattern as TKS, The Artist and SLP.

I refer you to today's trailer. The last shot looked like the PRINCESS Grace was going to break out into Don't Cry for Me Argentina. Maybe art direction or something. The movie looks beautiful, but I don't think it'll be any good. Probably somewhere around an Iron Lady reception. (Or judging by the way the trailer was basically the same as Diana's teaser, into oblivion and disaster territory)