Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

Gravity realistic, 2001 realistic. Avatar & Star Wars not so much.

Star Wars- popcorn entertainment, Gravity- popcorn entertainment, 2001- existential treatise on the metaphysical origins and evolution of human life in the universe

• Like 1

Actually, no.The dudes at Awards Watch often call locks 6 to 9 months in advance and they more often right than wrong. Jlaw was called the frontrunner for best actress the night SLP was first screened at Tiff in early September, 6 months before Awards night.We know almost every contender except for 3 or 4 (Her, Hustle, Wolf, Banks), it is very easy to make predictions right now.

I'm talking about wins in major categories.

Star Wars- popcorn entertainment, Gravity- popcorn entertainment, 2001- existential treatise on the metaphysical origins and evolution of human life in the universe

Plotwise, sure. But approach to filmmaking, perhaps not?

Edited by The Stingray™

Plotwise, sure. But approach to filmmaking, perhaps not?

Not sure where you go with that.

In terms of approach to filmmaking, what Star Wars did for filmmaking with its impressive use of miniatures, models, camerawork with them against a matte backdrop, etc is no less meticulous and pioneering and effective as what Gravity did (or 2001 for that matter). Furthermore with approach to the character side of filmmaking, the characters of Gravity bear more similar features to the archetypes of Star Wars than the almost non-entities of 2001.

Not sure where you go with that.

In terms of approach to filmmaking, what Star Wars did for filmmaking with its impressive use of miniatures, models, camerawork with them against a matte backdrop, etc is no less meticulous and pioneering and effective as what Gravity did (or 2001 for that matter). Furthermore with approach to the character side of filmmaking, the characters of Gravity bear more similar features to the archetypes of Star Wars than the almost non-entities of 2001.

You win.

Early predictionsGravity and twelve years a slave are complete locks, I also think saving mr banks, August: Osage county and American hustle are all in. Then in my view, there are many films vying for the final four spots. Two spots will go to big releases. In my view this category contains Captain Philips, Prisoners, Rush, Wolf of Wall Street (if it gets released) and Monuments Men. The other two spots will go to more limited films. This includes The Butler, Her, Dallas Buyers Club, Blue Jasmine, Fruitvale Station, Before Midnight, Philomena and Nebraska. I don't think inside llywen Davis will get nominated at the minute though it is close to be included in limited films category.My predictionsGRAVITYTWELVE YEARS A SLAVESAVING MR BANKSAUGUST: OSAGE COUNTYAMERICAN HUSTLECAPTAIN PHILIPSTHE WOLF OF WALL STREETTHE BUTLERBLUE JASMINEPrisoners, Her and Philomena are just missing out at the moment

Edited by Films

I think Captain Phillips is far, far closer to a safe bet than August: Osage County is. 

My predictions:

Gravity (Winner)

12 Years a Slave

Captain Phillips

Out of the Furnace

Wolf of Wall Street (Hell yea it's coming out)

American Hustle

Philomena

Inside Llewyn Davis

And one of either Mr. Banks, Her, or August: Osage County

I have a feeling August will get entirely snubbed, even Meryl. Trailers look pretty bad and reviews have been mixed at best.

*cough*Harvey*cough* 

Early predictions

Gravity and twelve years a slave are complete locks, I also think saving mr banks, August: Osage county and American hustle are all in. Then in my view, there are many films vying for the final four spots. Two spots will go to big releases. In my view this category contains Captain Philips, Prisoners, Rush, Wolf of Wall Street (if it gets released) and Monuments Men. The other two spots will go to more limited films. This includes Her, Dallas Buyers Club, Blue Jasmine, Fruitvale Station, Before Midnight, Philomena and Nebraska. I don't think inside llywen Davis will get nominated at the minute though it is close to be included in limited films category.

My predictions

GRAVITY

TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE

SAVING MR BANKS

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY

AMERICAN HUSTLE

CAPTAIN PHILIPS

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

HER

BLUE JASMINE

Prisoners and Philomena are just missing out at the moment

Posted Image

i have a feeling it will have only Meryl nom

If im not mistaken Harvey has Philomena also & imo it has better chance overall+Dench & Coogan

The Butler can get in

really inclined to not predict Monuments men in major categories  & less & less sure about AH aside from Cooper/JLaw, prod design, costumes hair & all that stuff

I will not count out The Counselor or Out of the Furnace quite yet.

they should happen :wub:

Edited by Leyla