Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

Whatever it is. I don't have faith in it. They haven't had a super successful film in ages. 

You must of missed the first half of the year for them :P

edit: And if you mean Oscars...well Unforgiven was WB's first film since My Fair Lady...

Edited by Impact

Whatever it is. I don't have faith in it. They haven't had a super successful film in ages. 

I don't say your list (a few pages before) isn't right, but I think you are over thinking everything. The Academy will mostly go for what's safe, what they like (like REALLY like) and what has tons of buzz around it. There have been numerous master pieces that no one knows and haven't been nominated.

Rarely do you see a surprise at the Oscars: like a surprise nomination. Everything's already knows weeks before they are announced. The Buzz... The safety... Things like that.

Last true surprise win for any major cat was in 2000 with Marsha Gay Harden. Even ones that have happened since that were considered surprises at least had something to back them up.

Edited by Impact

Last true surprise win for any major cat was in 2000 with Marsha Gay Harden. Even ones that have happened since that were considered surprises at least had something to back them up.

I'd say Jacki Weaver is pretty surprising. No precursor support at all, outside of something like the Central Ohio Online Film Critics Assiciation. 

I don't say your list (a few pages before) isn't right, but I think you are over thinking everything. The Academy will mostly go for what's safe, what they like (like REALLY like) and what has tons of buzz around it. There have been numerous master pieces that no one knows and haven't been nominated.

Rarely do you see a surprise at the Oscars: like a surprise nomination. Everything's already knows weeks before they are announced. The Buzz... The safety... Things like that.

I think that the new more compact Awards schedule, a more independent Director's Branch, and of course a Academy that's trending younger, has changed that. We can get surprise, WTF, nominations. But, the bigger moral is to listen to Kargar. 

And, I think that there is actually a lot of logic behind the Academy's choices. There's a lot of things that the Academy goes for and depending on how the season begins to play out, we can deduce a lot out of it. This is what I forsee at this point in the race. 

I'd say Jacki Weaver is pretty surprising. No precursor support at all, outside of something like the Central Ohio Online Film Critics Assiciation. 

I was talking about wins-not noms.

Well the one thing that makes her stand out big time is that she had no SAG nomination.

Edit: Which wouldn't happen again with a winner till last year with Waltz when he waltzed away with Oscar number 2!

Edited by Impact