The Stingray

Biggest Oscar snubs this year.

Biggest Oscar snubs.  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think were the biggest Oscar snubs this year?

• Moonrise Kingdom not getting Best Picture
    • Skyfall not getting Best Picture
    • Ben Affleck not getting Best Director
    • Kathryn Bigelow not getting Best Director
    • Tom Hooper not getting Best Director
    • Quentin Tarantino not getting Best Director
    • John Hawkes not getting Best Actor
    • Marion Cotillard not getting Best Actress
    • Javier Bardem not getting Best Supporting Actor
    • Leonardo DiCaprio not getting Best Supporting Actor
    • Looper not getting Best Original Screenplay
    • The Perks of Being a Wallflower not getting Best Adapted Screenplay
    • The Intouchables not getting Best Foreign Language Film
    • Beasts of the Southern Wild not getting Best Original Score
    • Cloud Atlas not getting anything
    • The Dark Knight Rises not getting anything
    • Other

Cotillard is the second actor ever after Swinton to miss with BFCA/GG/SAG/BAFTA.

Much like the actors it was 6 contenders vying for five slots. Chastain, Lawrence, and Watts were safe. The Academy loved Beasts and Amour so Wallis and Riva got in.

Bigelow/Affleck snub made me sad, but what got me furious was no Cloud Atlas or Beasts of the Southern Wild or The Master in Best Score. Three of the best scores I've ever heard didn't get recognized over the likes of Argo's and Skyfall's.

You can't really call looper a snub. Only hit DGA if I remember correctly. That list had massive exclusions like Amour and Django. Plus, JGL movies never get in for screenplay.

It's a great movie that deserves to be called one of the best pictures of the year, so it's a snub.

It's a great movie that deserves to be called one of the best pictures of the year, so it's a snub.

That's not a snub. A snub is where a film hits many or all of the precursors but fails to get in the final Oscar lineup. Looper hit only WGA which isn't a very good precursor anyways, and Critics don't count because Hollywood hates critics point blank because they are the people who tear up 75% of the movies that come out each year. It's not a snub. Whether or not it deserves it is a totally different thing.
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the conventional definition is a lot broader than that. Some go as far as to only base what is a "snub" on their personal opinion, and I think that was the intended spirit of this thread.

Snub for Oscars amongst Oscar watchers have a very narrow definition and it simply is someone who's gotten precursors and are somewhat expected at least to get in and end up missing. That's why everyone says that Affleck and Bigelow are the biggest snubs.
  • Like 1

Ric, Looper is a snub. I know you're incredibly dismissive towards the critic awards but they do matter to a degree and Looper won several awards for Original Screenplay from them. Many Oscar pundits were moving to include Looper in their predictions.

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this, but I'm not as grieving as some people are over Affleck's BD snub. Personally, I hated The Town ( :ph34r: ). It was yet another bad Departed movie <_<Neither did I like Bigelow's direction for The Hurt Locker.Neither do I like Quentin Tarantino as a whole (though Pulp Fiction was good).

Edited by Alpha

I`m hoping that they`ll award DiCaprio next year. He`s the only reason I was supporting Django for anything besides the Django theme song. I really just loved that piece.

Leo`s career is this incredible ebcause he knows when not to be nominated. I bet that he didn`t press for stronger campaign for himself when Waltz started to emerge as likelier nominee. Stars have power to pull a rank but he obviously didn`t so more power to him.The trick is to get nominated when you`re undeniable in your movie and DU had a triple standout situation although Waltz is de facto one of 2 leads. And to win when you are an undeniable favorite to win. Marisa Tomei winning over favored Vanessa Redgrave (I think it was Vanessa) stalled her career for long. Ditto Brenda Fricker who was shunned by Hollywood on her winning night because she won over favored Julia Roberts. Point is, a win that`s perceived as undeserved whether because it really was or because another person was so favored that upset felt like a cold shower is career-damaging in the long run. So may Leo win when nobody can dispute his worth one way or the other. Edited by fishnets

As for the Untouchables snub it's actually fairly obvious why it was snubbed and I feel really stupid for overlooking this. I probably wouldn't have predicted it I'd I had remembered this. The Foreign Language selection committee selects 6 for the short list plus the 3 selected by the Executive Committee for 9 on the short list in total. Then, it is the Executive Committee that selects the 5 nominees not the larger group. The executive committee is much more high brow and selective than the larger selection committee. That's why you see things like Kon-Tiki, A Royal Affair, and War Witch in but the more populist movie, Untouchables, lose out.

Yeah, whoever chooses best foreign film dont like fun movies. I mean, they didn't give the award for Amelie. The Intouchables is even more populist and crowdpleasingly simple. I am glad they awarded A Separation, though. That movie is fucking fantastic.I do think Jean-Louis Trintignant should have gotten a nomination for Amour, he was as good as Riva