Totem

How I Met Your Mother

I've heard a lot of complaints about how the show no longer stays true to its premise of Ted telling the story of meeting the mother. A response I posted on another board:

IMO, after season 3 the story shifted from How I Met Your Mother to How it all Came to Be or How We Got Here. It's just not about Ted anymore.The first season focused primarily on Ted and his quest to fine "the one." There were a few episodes where Marshall and Lily were focused on as much as Ted, and then near the end a lot of focus on their wedding and break-up. Barney's character had maybe one episode to himself, Game Night, and even that was used to set up tension in the Ted-Victoria-Robin triangle. Outside of that, Barney serves as a foil to Ted's hopeless-romantic type character. Robin doesn't really have a storyline, at this point, she's just the main focus of Ted's story. The second season splits the focus, as we see Marshall and Lily already becoming more prominent in the story arc. They're almost in the spotlight as much as Ted and Robin, who are now a single storyline. Barney still doesn't have a storyline, though he's got about 3 episodes that really focus on developing his character (living with Lily, tension over his brother getting married, reconciling with his alleged father). Still, Barney's primary job is to serve a foil to Ted, and now Marshall as well, who are both in long-term relationships; he even goes as far as to incite the eventual Ted-Robin fallout. The third season sees the transition of Robin becoming a true part of the group, rather than solely Ted's love interest. Ted is still about 50% of the focus, as the latter half of the season concentrates on his developing relationship with Stella. Marshall and Lily at this point, get even more attention, as their married life, building tension in living with Ted, and Marshall starting to begin a career get a lot of screen time. Barney gets a few episodes almost entirely to himself towards the end of the season, following the fallout with Ted. At this point, if Ted is the central focus of the show, there really shouldn't be much Barney involved, as if they are no longer friends, it doesn't make sense for us to see what Barney is up to outside of his relationship with Ted. However, at this point, he's transitioning into a central character, rather than just a foil/plot device and this sets the way for him in season 4.Season 4 is when the show starts to become what it is today. It opens with Barney having a conflict immediately. Following Ted's fallout with Stella, it could be argued that Barney is as much the central character as Ted. He's directly involved in the story developments, which now aren't really just a focus on Ted's search for love, but more of the entire gang's significant life experiences. Season 5 is structured similarly, Robin, Barney, and Lily/Marshall at this point, are all getting equal story/character development to Ted. Ted went from having 3 long term girlfriends in 3 seasons (Victoria, Robin, Stella), to having 1 in 4 seasons (Zoey). All of them are now equally part of this show rather than Ted being the primary focus and the other guys having short side stories or serving to teach some sort of lesson to Ted. Season 6 went the same way, and this season seems to have actually pushed Ted back a little bit. Really, they've just given themselves too much to cover and I think, outside of 2 or 3 episodes where all of the characters worked around a single story (such as last night's), they're just not able to properly develop everything in that 22 minute time constraint.

NPH steals this show. To an extent, where it's sometimes a little sad on the others.

I disagree, the NPH obviously has the best comic ability/timing of the cast but I think the rest of them hold their own quite well. All are pretty funny, which is rare for me because usually in sitcoms I only find certain characters funny and others not so much.

Yeah, I think they're all excellent, though NPH does stand above the rest.

What's appealing about this show as a sitcom is the excellent chemistry between each of the characters, as well as the group as a whole. On top of that, the show displays a little more emotional depth than the current average sitcom, and the character development is quite extensive. It's like you've really gotten to know all of them personally.

At this point, for me, the comedy is just gravy, its following the stories of each of the characters that really keeps me engaged.

Ted kids are about 14/15 and the year is 2030, so by 2015 Ted will be married. That means 4 more seasons til we see his wife. Will that mean when he gets married the show will be over? So maybe Ted has already met his wife and is just a matter of time til they get married.