Jack Nevada

What is 'pretentious'?

Pretentious is often thrown around to describe tastes in film, too. I don't appreciate how some people automiatically assume that anyone who thinks The Master is amazing and The Avengers is boring is a pretentious film snob.

Stop describing me :lol:

I dont call movie pretentious, but people who like to analyze movies to death and to find far-fetched deeper meanings from them.. Thats pretentious, especially when it seems they cant enjoy movies.

You can pretty much summarize it like this:

http://tvtropes.org/...esusInPurgatory

Edited by C00k13

I dont call movie pretentious, but people who like to analyze movies to death and to find far-fetched deeper meanings from them.. Thats pretentious, especially when it seems they cant enjoy movies.

People find enjoyment in all kinds of different ways. Some people find enjoyment from big explosions, some people find enjoyment from movies that make them think. Some people can find enjoyment from both.
  • Like 2

For me, a pretentious film sometimes means that it tried to aim at a deep subject, but failed miserablly when delievering it. In this case I found this year's TDKR a bit pretentious.

I'd disagree with that. I don't think pretentiousness is whether or not it succeeds in delivering the message. It's more of whether or not there was a message there to begin with. Some films hype themselves up to be this huge, big, deep and philosophical movie but really there's nothing there to get. I think that there's a difference between this and failing to tell the message.

And in what way is The Artist pretentious? It essentially amounts to nothing more than one filmmaking team's exercise in making a B&W silent film, their personal love letter to Old Hollywood. That's it. It doesn't aim to be profound, or philosophical, to have any deep message or to be a history lesson in disguise (looking at you, Hugo). It's not long, has a simple story, a linear structure and a happy ending. Genre- and tone-wise, there's plenty of comedy in it. It has simple ambitions and lives up to them. I could at least understand an opinion that all those film critics and Oscar voters are pretentious because this way, they can be all like "see how we love dem silent movies!" (even though I wouldn't agree with it), but what the hell is pretentious about the film itself?

• Like 1

I'd disagree with that. I don't think pretentiousness is whether or not it succeeds in delivering the message. It's more of whether or not there was a message there to begin with. Some films hype themselves up to be this huge, big, deep and philosophical movie but really there's nothing there to get. I think that there's a difference between this and failing to tell the message.

WelI, I don't see you really disagreeing with me there. :lol: