Saturday: 1,711

Sunday: 587

The Lion King:

Total: 4,442 (82 showtimes)

Thursday: 1,925

Friday: 1,163

Saturday: 879

Sunday: 475

I guess that tomorrow lots of showtimes more will be added.

Hard to compare since TLK opened on Thursday. But for example, F2 has already matched Joker's OW presales (3,705 final presales). Right now, I am thinking in around €7m OW.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Pre-sales for Frozen on Friday with 27 shows (big numbers). The film has sold 609 tickets (D-1) and it's the fifth best for my theater with one day left. Joker is the second biggest wih 810 tickets, TLK with 668 (Thursday release) is the best comp with Aladdin. €7M OW are possible, let's see if it explodes on Saturday and Sunday

Film Tickets OW Comp
Toy Story 4 485 2.48M 3.11M
Aladdin 379 4.76M 7.64M
Maleficent: MoE 169 3M 10.81M
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Frozen II Pre-sales for tomorrow at my theater (D-0): 804 tickets

Film Tickets OW Comp
Toy Story 4 485 2.48M 4.11M
Aladdin 379 4.76M 10.09M
Maleficent: MoE 169 3M 14.27M

Third biggest pre-sale at my theater after EndGame and Joker (810 tickets, only 6 more than FII). Beats TLK on a Thursday release (+136 tickets), sold more than double of Aladdin (+425 tickets). This is going big so €7.25M OW is my prediction and It can go up if matinees on Saturday and Sunday smash

Edited by ScareLol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 2

Final presales:

Frozen: 5,630 tickets

Friday: 2,154

Saturday: 2,587

Sunday: 889

TLK: 5,816 (4-day)

Thursday: 2,452

Friday: 1,658

Saturday: 1,127

Sunday: 579

Hard to compare, but I agree with @ScareLol that over €7m is likely. I would not rule out 7.5-8 million. It is amazing, talking into account that first part opened to barely €3m. We have another monster in Spanish BO this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Claudio said:

Frozen opening looks weak here with only $5.8M and the weird thing is the discrepancy between what @peludoand @ScareLol predicted at €7M and the actual OW.  I wonder what caused that. Is it because presale heavy, bad WOM or others???

yeah .. was about to ask PS were actual on par with TLK but OW comes only $5.8 M ..

1 hour ago, Claudio said:

Frozen opening looks weak here with only $5.8M and the weird thing is the discrepancy between what @peludoand @ScareLol predicted at €7M and the actual OW.  I wonder what caused that. Is it because presale heavy, bad WOM or others???

Yes, I have been wrong extraoplating the same results than TLK with similar presales. $5.8m means about €5.3m. even although with actuals it can increase, it is too far from €7m that we said. Heavy presales could be the main reason of my bad prediction. Critics are worse than for first part, but I think WOM can not be the reason. There is not any other external reason like weather to explain it. We overpredicted. That's all.

With this opening we have to rule out the €30m target and be fine trying 24-25 (50% more in local currency and 25% in dollars than first part). That result would put Frozen 2 at the same level than Toy Story 3, Minions or Up (all with €24m), but behind Shrek 2 (€28m) which would remain to be the biggest animated film (if we exclude TLK 2019).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, peludo said:

Yes, I have been wrong extraoplating the same results than TLK with similar presales. $5.8m means about €5.3m. even although with actuals it can increase, it is too far from €7m that we said. Heavy presales could be the main reason of my bad prediction. Critics are worse than for first part, but I think WOM can not be the reason. There is not any other external reason like weather to explain it. We overpredicted. That's all.

With this opening we have to rule out the €30m target and be fine trying 24-25 (50% more in local currency and 25% in dollars than first part). That result would put Frozen 2 at the same level than Toy Story 3, Minions or Up (all with €24m), but behind Shrek 2 (€28m) which would remain to be the biggest animated film (if we exclude TLK 2019).

Ahhh I see.. Don’t worry too much. People make mistake sometimes and over predict something is common. Hmmm... why is this reminding me of someone in the Weekend thread 👀. Anyway , I’m just confused about the estimates cause it’s very rare to see both of the market’s expert agree on something but somehow the actual thing is pretty off. On top of that,  usually ( if not all the time ) , all your estimates always accurate. Because of that , I almost believed that Disney gives wrong estimate before your clarification 😆.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Ahhh I see.. Don’t worry too much. People make mistake sometimes and over predict something is common. Hmmm... why is this reminding me of someone in the Weekend thread 👀. Anyway , I’m just confused about the estimates cause it’s very rare to see both of the market’s expert agree on something but somehow the actual thing is pretty off. On top of that,  usually ( if not all the time ) , all your estimates always accurate. Because of that , I almost believed that Disney gives wrong estimate before your clarification 😆.

Thank you :)

I have started this year to track presales. so I do not have too many examples to compare. It is obvious that I have to learn a lot to try to give more accurate numbers. Sorry for creating unreal expectation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I will start tracking more theaters (4-5 for example) to do a better job at predicting. A lot of movies don't have a lot of pre-sales and other ones have a lot so the tracking is a bit volatile at my theater. Expanding the tracking to 5 theaters instead of 1, I will have a lot more data to predict and see potential breakouts, flops easier.

Frozen II was frontloaded at my theater according to pre-sales. It didn't work as a family film but as a superhero one with a bit of family flavour. Late night shows were pretty much empty (I thought Frozen II would have a better multi-generation appeal) and 4-8PM were full.

Thanks for your understanding and sorry again for the overprediction

Edited by ScareLol
  • Like 3

€5.2m: provisional OW for Frozen 2.

€1.7m for "Si yo fuera rico". Amazing hold (-19%) after the €2.1m OW. Another local hit. We will see where it can finish.

€0.5m for Joker, which should outgross Endgame by next Sunday.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, peludo said:

€5.2m: provisional OW for Frozen 2.

€1.7m for "Si yo fuera rico". Amazing hold (-19%) after the €2.1m OW. Another local hit. We will see where it can finish.

€0.5m for Joker, which should outgross Endgame by next Sunday.

$5.8M OW...... can leg to $30M finish???

4 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

$5.8M OW...... can leg to $30M finish???

Yes, it has that chance. IMO, the target is €25m, what means about $27.5m. But if it is able to hold well and with so many holidays it could reach those $30m (€27m).