BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

@peludo there is a film, Quo Vadis in year 1951. It had 3.5mn admits in Spain as per JP BO, what do you think would be gross in 1951 in Spain currency or USD? How big is that admit number.

3.5 million admissions is a very respectable number (the number I have for Quo Vadis is 3,721,532 admissions). Of course, we have to measure that 3.5 million in 1951 is not the same than now. In 1968 (the earliest we have data), Spain sold more than 376 million admissions. Today we barely surpass 100 million.

That amount of tickets is similar to Frozen 2 (3.5 million), taking a recent example.

In terms of gross, and applying the average ticket price (€6.50), it would have grossed today €24.2m or $26.1m. In terms of market size, it equates to 450-500 million dollar in USA+Canada.

Btw, I think Quo Vadis is a quite good film.

38 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I meant back then.

My bad. I read it wrong.

https://www.ipcblog.es/la-evolucion-del-precio-del-cine-desde-1930/

According that link, the average ticket price during 50s was 2 or 3 pesetas (about 0.015€). The new releases cost about 12 pesetas and 17 pesetas in late 50s. As a curious data, women were paying half than men.

Applying the average ticket price (0.015€), Quo Vadis grossed about €55,500. I do not dare to apply the 12 pesetas of new releases since films used to be shown during months or even years and I guess that openings were not even close as massive as now.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

This is conversion at 2000s rate i guess 

What will be direct conversion to dollar in 1950s.

Sorry again.

I read that in 1951, in October, the ER was fixed to 21.90 pesetas per dollar.

Asuming 2.5 pesetas per ticket, Quo Vadis grossed 9.3 million pesetas. With the 21.90 pesetas ER mentioned, that amount equates to about $425k.

Yes, ticket price in Spain was very low. If Germany avg was €0.5 and here it was €0.015, that means that the price in Germany was 33 times bigger than here. Today the ratio is about 1.30. Spanish economy did not recover from Civil War effects (1936-39) until 60s. And we still lived a dictatorship until 1975.

• Like 2

Pre-sales for tomorrow with 3 new releases which won't do too much at the BO. Predictions are pretty dificult this weekend:

THE CALL OF THE WILD - 118/2.779 tickets (4,24% sold from 4 theatres)

This looks simply bad. Dolittle sold 572 tickets (1.74M). That would give Wild 359K but I think that's low. ~€700K OW

21 BRIDGES - 35/1.764 tickets (1,98% sold from 4 theatres)

Well, another flop is coming. Bad Boys is the comp which translates to 207K. ~€200K OW

QUEEN & SLIM - 0/360 tickets (0% sold from 1 theatre)

Melina Matsoukas' film is not going super wide (less than 100 theatres) so out of top 10 and like A Hidden Life, let's hope for €100K OW

Edited by ScareLol
  • Like 4

Pre-sales for tomorrow with 6 new releases (2 of them are big releases). Estimates are going to be a bit off because Coronavirus is starting to spread in Spain and we don't know the impact yet because we don't have daily numbers.

ONWARD - 514/7.142 tickets (7,20% sold from 4 theatres)

Sonic comp: 1.55M

Dolittle comp: 1.56M

Both comps are extremely similar and point to a ~€1.6M OW. I could see that but don't rule out €2M. €1.6M+ OW.

BLOODSHOT - 64/2.731 tickets (2,34% sold from 4 theatres)

Charlie's Angels comp: 863K

Rambo comp: 218K

500K OW would be a reasonable number (similar to Hellboy last year)

Next titles are The Rhythm Section (0 tickets sold in 1 theatre), Harriet (0 tickets sold in 1 theatre), Invisibles (0 tickets sold in 1 theatre) and Le Meilleur Reste a Venir (0 tickets sold in 1 theatre). These titles won't make a dent in the BO and probably 1 or 2 could enter the Top 10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coronavirus impact is starting. Spanish comedy Operación Camarón, one of the candidates to be the highest grossing Spanish film this year, got pushed back 6 months (March to September). The film was distributed by Disney Spain

Edited by ScareLol
  • Thanks 1