lilmac

What's a bigger deal, Episode I or Episode VII

Episode I vs. Episode VII  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What's a bigger deal..Episode I or VII?

• Episode I
    • Episode VII
    • Tie/Can't Decide

Which do you think was and is the bigger deal, when Episode I was announced and we found out that Lucas was making a prequel trilogy or Episode VII which will be even more mysterious than the PT?

Edited by lilmac

Episode I was the bigger deal no contest.

That poster with young Anakin and his Vader shadow drove people nuts. Don't even talk about the trailer as there was no High Speed internet nor youtube in 1998, I knew it by heart, dissecting every single frame on an old VHS tape I recorded since they've broadcasted it on an exclusive french TV show as the trailer's world premiere presentation, recognizing each Williams cues used.

Remember people were camping several weeks before opening day in May. The movie was not released until october in France so we were watching that in sheer excitement on TV news, that was the only talk of the summer as I was entering high school. The Original trilogy/SW brand was yet not tarnished and I was a Starwars fan back then...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

Episode I was the bigger deal no contest.

That poster with young Anakin and his Vader shadow drove people nuts. We don't know the poster that this will have. Don't even talk about the trailer as there was no High Speed internet nor youtube in 1998 should be better know with yt easier dissecting, I knew it by heart, dissecting every single frame on an old VHS tape I recorded since they've broadcasted it on an exclusive french TV show as the trailer's world premiere presentation, recognizing each Williams cues used. Don't know, Williams can be brought on for a more EPIC duel of the fates.

Remember people were camping several weeks before opening day in May. This is SW will happen again. The movie was not released until october in France so we were watching that in sheer excitement on TV news, that was the only talk of the summer as I was entering high school. The Original trilogy/SW brand was yet not tarnished and I was a Starwars fan back then...

Good points, but ...

Ep I by a country mile. How is this even a question?

Episode I was probably the biggest movie news of all time. But thanks to Clone Wars and lots of talk about other Star Wars tv shows, everyone has suspected for years that more Star Wars big screen movies were coming. Episode VII was no surprise. The only surprise was that Lucas sold it to Disney.

Good points, but ...

But what?

Did you forget there's something called TPM and prequels backlash that hurt SW brand? SW7 needs to recover from that. A burden TPM didn't have to overcome at that moment. It was riding on the overcrushing power of OT myth which was still at his absolute zenith and untouchable at that moment.

And John Williams is not bound to return since he's semi-retired hence Giacchino talk. (And I don't know why you're talking about Duel Of The Fates or future soundtracks, I was just saying TPM's trailer got me so much pumped that I tried to recognize each cues used in the trailer. Then I recorded each part of the soundtrack to recreate the trailer track on a tape recording to listen to it without the sound effects and dialogue, yeah, I was that nuts!)

The Phantom Menace is still the bigger deal.

Edited by MADash Rendar

Also, Episode VII will have little involvement by George Lucas. A first for a Star Wars movie. It's a brave new world. One where StarWars movies are being made by (presumably) fans of Star Wars who are now accomplished directors. I don't think the ramifications have quite sunk in.  Episode VII is only the beginning.

The anticipation for EP7 will be high, but nothing like it was for TPM. There was some guy waiting in line for a few months to see that movie. Star Wars was every where for a full year before the release. The merchandising blitz was insane. It was and still is the most anticipated and hyped movie, EVER!!

• Like 2

Episode I. Episode VII will receive tons of hype, but it's just not going to shatter records.

Neither did Episode I really "shatter records".   It had the largest Wednesday and 5-day opening gross at the time and that's about it.  

Episode I. But I feel each is a big deal in their own way. There's much more social media now and there's a new generation of Star Wars fans as well as older fans that are excited for this new trilogy as well as seeing the old cast back. There wasn't much social media back then but Episode 1 would be bigger because we all thought that would be the beginning of the end. The last trilogy before we say goodbye to Star Wars for good. For me, I always felt they should've just did sequels instead of prequels back then. But Lucas was so adamant in doing prequels. We already know the story! So I'm actually more excited about this upcoming trilogy than the prequels. Because I'm more excited about what actually happens after. And because I kind of feel like this new trilogy is for the redemption of the franchise.