lilmac

What's a bigger deal, Episode I or Episode VII

Episode I vs. Episode VII  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What's a bigger deal..Episode I or VII?

• Episode I
    • Episode VII
    • Tie/Can't Decide

Episode 1! I was 18 years old when it was announced and everyone was shocked/excited to unheard levels. Before that announce, chapters 1-3 were like a piece of art you would never see but only dream of.

I remember many thought that it would gross more than Titanic.

I think Episode I was certainly a big deal, but I do believe the release of Episode VII is a bigger deal. When Episode I came out in 1999 it was a promise fulfilled. Ever since 1978 when we learned that the first Star Wars movie was actually Episode IV, we were wondering about Episodes I-III. After ROTJ was released in 1983 everyone figured we'd have Episode I in 1986 since it had taken 3 years between each of the original trilogy movies. But it was not meant to be. Finally in 1999 our patience was rewarded with a brand new Star Wars movie. The prequel trilogy was wrapped up with Episode III in 2005. Most people assumed the Star Wars saga was over. Lucas had basically said so many times. Star Wars would live on in books, comics, games, and even on TV but the prospect of more movies seemed dim. And then Lucas retired and sold Lucasfilm to Disney. We were told more movies were coming. In fact, a whole new trilogy would continue the story of the Skywalker family in Episodes VII, VIII and IX. WHAT?! So just when we thought the movies were done, we were given the promise of another trilogy set 30+ years after ROTJ and our original heroes would be back! So in a nutshell, I believe (for me at least) that Episode VII is a bigger deal because it is the trilogy we were never supposed to have in the first place. We had been expecting Episodes I, II and III for many years, but even the idea of another trilogy after Episode VI seemed more and more out of reach as the years went by. One more reason is that we really have no idea where the story will take us. We had a good idea of what needed to happen in the prequels to set up what we had already seen in Episodes IV-VI. So for me, as a fan since I was 11 in 1977, the release of Episode VII in December and then two more movies to complete this trilogy AND a few "anthology" movies added in for good measure....the force has indeed awaken the young boy in me once again.

• Like 3

On 11/2/2015, 8:38:30, terrestrial said:

I think Episode VII as it has both groups of fans waiting and the internet is nowadays way more impacting

The internet was big back in 1997-1998 but nowhere near as pervasive as it is now. Good point.

Star Wars is ultimately the only franchise apart from Fast and Furious and Jurassic Park to give Marvel a stiff competition. I hope it beats the records. I mean it is one of the biggest movies of 2015. It should break records and excel. Han Solo aka Harrison Ford's return is gonna make this movie more epic. I think he is the only character from the golden era to return. https://www.fjackets.com/categories/Star-Wars-Jacket-Collection/

Not sure I can compare as I was not that big of a fan in 1999 when it came out (really got hooked when I started reading the books - Thrawn trilogy first) so I voted TFA from my perspective.  We've been doing the countdown at work for the last 2 months, everyday has a different spontaneous  discussion about the movie. 

Can't wait to see the following:

- what happened to the Alliance following the battle of Endor

- What's the relationship of Kylo Ren with the other main characters

- What did Luke do after Endor.  Was he as bad as Obiwan in training Jedi

- Are the Sith gone for good

- Did they kept anything from the EU (names, planets, concept)

- What's the meaning of the movie title (only The Phantom Menace has a title that doesn't tell us something about the movie)

- What they kept from the prequels (midichlorian, clones, neimodians, gungans, kaminoans, geonosyans...etc...)